Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Lessons learned

I'm down to only tuning the car, getting the WOT tune lined up, hit the local track to see my times and run it on the dyno again to get some numbers.

After over a year since the project started, I've learned a lot of things and looking back on it, I would have done a few things differently.

1. Buy another engine and build it so I'm not without a daily driver. I rode my bicycle almost full time, racking up over 1000 miles from teardown. This would have allowed me to do the whole build without being without my car and also could have done a fully focused build without trying to get the car done asap.

2. I would not have bought the Yella Terra rockers (YT6333). If I could have found a set of roller rockers that worked under the stock valve covers, I would have used them instead, even if they were $100-$200 more than the YT's as the taller valve covers alone were around $300.

3. I would have had the rotating assembly fully balanced. Had I known how long it would take me to get the build completed, I would have had it taken care of by the local machine shop for that added insurance and just a little more efficient operation.

But I am enjoying the car entirely right now. I have to have fun with it, or else it isn't worth it.

Video of it idling open headers and with full exhaust installed:

Comparison of new build with open headers and full exhaust

Also had a new plate done to clarify things for those who don't know ;D

2000 Firebird
    ●H/C/I●Longtubes●Strano HP7●T56 swapped●

Comment

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing. From someone who understands your motivation (notaV8) and pain (why the hell didn't I just get a V8?)

This is classic:

"No matter how beautiful they are, somebody, somewhere is tired of dealing with their crap."

Just as effectively applied to a car! ;D
      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

And so far this is how it sits and what is currently installed at the moment:

Exterior Modifications:

8000K HID's
        Debadged, trim delete and rear filler panel is now devoid of the firebird name and logo.

Performance:

Whisper Lid
        Intense S1X NA Cam
        Yella Terra 1.7 Platinum series roller rockers
        PAC 130# springs
        60?Inclusive ported heads and intake
        Manton Pushrods
        LS7 lifters
        Fabricated Valve Covers
        Force Fed Fabs Longtube Headers
        3" Spun Metallic Cat
        TSP Rumbler
        Whisper Lid w/ K&N Filter

Suspension/Chassis:

Front:
        BMR 32mm Solid swaybar + Poly endlinks/bushings
        PARacing Tubular K-member RR
        HAL QA1 12-way coilovers
        Rear:
        LS1 19mm swaybar + Poly endlinks/bushings
        UMI Performance LCA's
        UMI Performance Adjustable Torque Arm
        HAL QA1 12-way shocks w/ WS6 rear springs

Drivetrain:

Aluminum Driveshaft
        Yank Torque Arm Relocation Cross member
        TCI Super Street Fighter 3800 stall w/ 2.1 str
        4L60E built by Richard at Precision Transmissions in Amarillo, TX
        Hayden 1405 trans cooler

Electronics:

HPTuners
        PLX Wideband

8000K HID's for lowbeams and fogs.

Waiting on these to come back from the powdercoaters. I've yet to find anybody else that has these in 17 x 9.5" size.

Speedline Mistrals

The Euro versions were like 7" wide setup as seen on this Vauxhall ST200:

And for the days I need traction at the strip, Formula twist spokes with a nice set of drag radials:

That's about it so far, I'll keep posting in here as new developments take place. Feel free to post away, ask questions, etc. etc.
        2000 Firebird

Comment

great story.
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            This thread rules.
            Thanks

Originally posted by 67pete300
            Awesome thread, thanks for sharing. From someone who understands your motivation (notaV8) and pain (why the hell didn't I just get a V8?)

This is classic:

"No matter how beautiful they are, somebody, somewhere is tired of dealing with their crap."

Just as effectively applied to a car! ;D
            Greatly appreciate it. Hopefully this will get another 80K miles use for me. I love the car, even if it can be temperamental sometimes. Wife insists that I just sell it and get a new car, but when I sit her down and let her look at the $$ perspective, she decides to let me play in the garage instead
            2000 Firebird

Comment

Great project, pictures, story. Sounds like your wife and mine are similar in thier view of projects - they are all for it if it makes $$ sense to THEM, sometimes the convincing of that takes more than one "sit down".

Cool to do something different.

What is the weight balance of the car now with the tubular K member up front?
              I would think you'd be at a handling and braking advantage over a V8 car on a road course with your set up.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                Great project, pictures, story. Sounds like your wife and mine are similar in thier view of projects - they are all for it if it makes $$ sense to THEM, sometimes the convincing of that takes more than one "sit down".

Cool to do something different.

What is the weight balance of the car now with the tubular K member up front?
                I would think you'd be at a handling and braking advantage over a V8 car on a road course with your set up.
                I've yet to get any cornerweight done, but the car has a better balance than the V8 straight from the factory. Only ~100lb difference between the LS1 F-body and the V6. The V6 sits so far back so as to utilize the same transmission position as the V8 cars, so that makes even better on the balance.

The car currently weighs something around 3200 lbs. I had it weighed once after the build, but can't find the receipt.

There is a guy that will switch out between his V8 cars and his base model V6 Camaro (stripper setup, hardtop all manual crank windows etc) and will outrun the big boys in that car on the auto-x. It's really entertaining to watch.
                2000 Firebird

Comment

Love the build. Only question I had...any options of force-induction? Last V6 I owned was a '01 Regal GS, and I loved that boosted little freak..
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                    Love the build. Only question I had...any options of force-induction? Last V6 I owned was a '01 Regal GS, and I loved that boosted little freak..
                    There are options, but all require custom fabrication. Something I didn't have to tools or funding to perform. I initially wanted to just install the cam and do a JY build utilizing some rebuilt STI turbos. That changed after I saw how bad the engine was and so the focus went from doing a boosted car to a full rebuild. If I added boost, the engine might have lasted 6000 miles before letting go.

Engine is now at 10:1 compression compared to 9.3:1 stock. So I won't be running boost on this anytime soon.

If I could afford forged low compression pistons ($800 minimum in our market), I would have done it from the start.

After I finish school, I plan on going a different route, but keeping the car. LLT DI V6 swap from a camaro and then do a custom twin turbo setup. We'll see how that goes whenever I get to it.
                    2000 Firebird

Comment

Cool build. I'm looking at a 98 camaro same motor but supposedly "knocks" . I think full refresh is in order. How big of a pain was it to pull the motor and cradle?
                      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Excellent job documenting everything! I love the fact that you stuck with the V6.

Have you ran it at the strip yet?
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by 82z
                          Cool build. I'm looking at a 98 camaro same motor but supposedly "knocks" . I think full refresh is in order. How big of a pain was it to pull the motor and cradle?
                          Considering I did the removal and install all on my own, it was a pain. Up until the engine removal, I'd never done anything of the sort on a car. I took my time and pulled everything apart, labeling each sensor and piece on the wire harness. I also had a bunch of zip lock bags and labeled them after putting each group of bolts in there (I.E. Engine mount, Water Pump bolts, timing cover, etc. etc.).

It took me a few days in between school and work to do all this. I only had ramps, stands and an engine hoist to do it. If you have access to a lift, USE IT! Much safer, easier and faster.

I just pulled the engine and trans out the top, but put it all on the k-member for ease of install. Pulling it all out the bottom makes it a bit easier as you will have a portable, albeit heavy engine stand to work from.

A few things, the knock probably is from worn rod bearings, usually the oil filter bypass is the culprit. A lot of guys are spinning bearings as of late 100K miles+. My bearings were fine, even though the top end was coked up so bad.

Have the crankshaft, rods and pistons checked over by a machine shop, get the proper main bearings and rod bearings.

Then get an oil pump rebuild kit (Melling) and a new oil filter adaptor kit (It's the little spring and plunger piece). The oil filter bypass spring wears out and will stick open if there are any deposits in the oil, thus flooding the crank with unfiltered oil. BAD JUJU! You'll have a spun bearing in no time when it lets loose. Guys have done whole builds on their cars without addressing the old oil filter bypass. Destoyed new builds have happened as it is not exactly common knowledge.

If the 98 is a daily driver, get a secondary engine and build it so you're not too badly out of a car or flintstoning it to work.

Another thing, make sure that you get a 98 and earlier engine as it will have the angled intake that your car has. The 99+ have a straight intake, but you can swap intakes if you so desire when the day comes to put in the new motor.

Originally posted by Bamfster
                          Excellent job documenting everything! I love the fact that you stuck with the V6.

Have you ran it at the strip yet?
                          Thanks, even my dad loves the car and impressed with what I did essentially on my own on a first time project.

I'll run it at the strip after it is tuned, probably dynod as well. Our local 1/4 mile has been down for 2 years and might not make it back to full use. Another place that is an air strip has been 1/8 mile but might do 1/4 mile runs for small reservations.

Hoping for 13's.
                          2000 Firebird

Comment

Curious....what's the local strip that has been dormant?
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              Curious....what's the local strip that has been dormant?
                              http://www.lubbockdragway.com/

It is in Idalou, about 20 minutes from Lubbock. They had a huge issue with a contractor that didn't put down the new surface correctly/smoothly and then refused to make good on the work. The shutdown area was wavy and cracked up, which was brand new for that season. It's been down ever since.

The old Town & Country Airport is now Canaan Raceway. Hopefully it'll keep things going and maybe get to go 1/4 mile this coming season. Gets us off the streets, that's for sure!
                              2000 Firebird

Comment

every time i see your build i still think it is awsome ;D

01GPGT from FTV6

Comment

Working...
                                X