Re: 1979 Mercury Capri

Thank you Russell , will do .

Comment

i love capris

i actualy like them more then mustangs ;D

Comment

If all goes well tomorrow I will be the owner of a 97 Mercury Mountaineer motor for my 79 capri! The next big question is what cam to get? I am thinking F303 or TFS stage 1
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Dad just called me said my motor just got showed up Nine's from Wake Forest delevers for free! I was wrong it is a GT40P motor.

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

GT40P is still good. best flowing stock heads ford made. i put a set on mine 351w that's in the '51 F1

Comment

You already know this I'm sure - but make darned sure you get the right headers and spark plugs for the P heads.

If you went 140 with the previous set up - I think lowering, relatively skinny tires, and the bubble back window aero improvement of the capri should put you right back in that range with a reasonable camshaft in this engine and proper tuning.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  You already know this I'm sure - but make darned sure you get the right headers and spark plugs for the P heads.

If you went 140 with the previous set up - I think lowering, relatively skinny tires, and the bubble back window aero improvement of the capri should put you right back in that range with a reasonable camshaft in this engine and proper tuning.
                  I am not to worried about the headers, I used standard shorties on my 89 with 90* boots and I hope to use long tubes on this on, everything I have read says there normally are less conflicts with long tubes. 1979 did not have the bubble back, that came later, has the normal hatch.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

P heads have a diffrent exhuast port then the non P heads. i belive is what he is getting at

Comment

Worked on the Capri yesterday afternoon. When I got the car the carb was just sitting on top of the intake so I bolted it back down. I pulled a plug to check it out, I have seen worse run so it went back in. Changed the oil and put a rubber line in a gas can, put in the battery out of my 89. Hit the key and the solenoid just clicked, a few taps with a ball ping on the starter got it turning slowly, add the jump box to spin it a little faster. Poored gas down the carb it tried to run but no go. Decided to try the carb that was sitting in the trunk when I bought the car, swapped it on more gas added some starting fluid and we got it running!!!!!! ;D It Was smoking alot a first but cleared up a lot and was missing some but it was running! One of the tires was on the rim (the other three were just low) so I went and got a 10 hole out of the barn. Tied up a oil quart to the power steering pump for gas supply. Pulled the stick on the tranny it was just touching the bottom of the stick, tried to drive it no go, added 2 quarts of atf and that gave us some go the power was coming in and out like it was going in neutral then slamming back into drive. Drove it around the house, through the field, and against my better judgement decide to take it down the road. About the time I said we better head back it died pulled off the road, Turn the key nothing no spin no clicks nothing. Popped the hood and the "gas tank" was dry. Called Dad he brough the jump box and more gas but we still nothing. Ended up pulling it back home with the John Deere. It was getting late so no more time to mess with it.

Any ideas why it would just die? I think it had pulled the battery down a lot when I put it on the charger it was pulling amps. I put the battery out of my SC in it and it still did nothing, so I really don't think it was the battery keeping it from starting.

Any ideas on the tranny? Think its shot? Would a fluid and filter change be worth it or is that throwing good money away?

I don't remember the last time I had so much fun, can not wait to work on it again!

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Sounds like there's an electrical issue - maybe the alternator is not charging - so what battery power you had was used up by the ignition and electrical systems while it was running?

As far as the tranny - it doesn't cost anything to pull the pan and filter and take a look - if it's full of crud - maybe it's a lost cause - if it looks pretty normal - a new filter and fresh fluid may get some life out of it.... who knows.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Took the day off today had a job interview this morning and worked on the capri this afternoon. Solved the no crank issue the starter was not getting a good ground. Took it off cleaned it up put back on. Now it has another issue it has no spark while cranking. It will spark once when the key first turned the once more when you let off key. Any ideas?

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Check the ground by the starter relay? Not sure if your'79 has one -it happened on my '91.

Comment

You found my sad little Capri's older brother

Comment

Originally posted by 88pony
                                Check the ground by the starter relay? Not sure if your'79 has one -it happened on my '91.
                                I do not know what/where that is. Do you mean solenoid?

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X