Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    Weather did not permit racing today. I knew the my chances where not good but it might be months before the track is open again. So Dad came down and we made the 160 mile round trip to the track just to see rain drops on the windshield and the gates locked. Sucks to blow the money on diesel, but had fun hanging out with Dad. On the way back I had a great idea, we should go to the junk yard!

I found a cowl grill for my 98 GT, dad got a sway bar for his camaro. Going to the junk yard always puts me in a better mood
    Last edited by Russell; December 16, 2012, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Thanks for your concern, Steve - and I mean that sincerely. It's very kind. And I've cut WAY back on such things and have sloppy Joes only when I go to the track which isn't too often - maybe two or three times a year.

As far as jealousy of us Southerners - you CAN move here like I did! Our tracks aren't open all year long, but close. Coastal Plains sometimes has a meet on New Year's Day, weather permitting.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• rightpedal
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I LIKE Coastal Plains - closer AND they have good track sloppy-Joes. If you can make it I'll be there. Dave Rackley might be there with the new car, too.

Dan
    Dan didn't you have a life changing event that involved a doc telling you to cut back on the sloppy-joes.

Russel I am jealous of you south people. Capitol shuttered up for the season last month.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Mine always either spun a little or bogged - I'd back out of it if it started wheel hopping, they don't have the strongest torque boxes in the world. That'd be an abort for me.
    Last edited by Beagle; December 14, 2012, 11:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    30% chance of showers in high of 66. Do an anti rain dance for me. I am a little worried about wheel hop, any susgestions?

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    1/4 TNT Sunday weather permiting at Fayetteville!
    you guys are still running? Rock on! Looking forward to the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    1/4 TNT Sunday weather permiting at Fayetteville!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I LIKE Coastal Plains - closer AND they have good track sloppy-Joes. If you can make it I'll be there. Dave Rackley might be there with the new car, too.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    On street tires I would just dump the clutch and scuff em, No line lock I guess I will start psi higher maybe in the mid 20's then work down. If it does not wheel hop I think I can get them to burn! It looks there is a bracket race this weekend in Fayetteville not sure if I can get any TNT in, the next Saturday (15th) afternoon I have to go to a State Basketball game with my Wife. It looks like Jacksonville has a TNT on Sunday weather permitting. So if it look like FMSP is a no go I will try Costal on the 9th! Pencil it in!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I'm surprised that the drag radials rub at all. They cleared on my '88 LX just fine.

As far as burn outs - I just did a little dry hop to clean the tires off. I drove around the water and just did a couple of seconds. Do you have a linelock? Might need it. I could lock the front brakes and overpower the rears so everything went up in smoke but that's not gonna work with a stick. Seems like I ended up at 15 PSI at Milan but the convert is probably a bit heavier in the tail than the Capri.

I want to see those DR's up in smoke!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 3, 2012, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Dad helped me switch rears in over the weekend. Capri now has an 8.8, newer lower control arms, larger sway bar, new used shocks! I kept the breaks on the car mine looked a lot better than the cracked shoes on the 8.8 and I was going to have to switch the brake lines anyway. We all so put the DRs that Dan hooked me up with, Thanks Dan! Looks pretty mean with meats on the back! I need to do a little more hammer mods they are rubbing some. Hope to get it to the 1/4 before Christmas!

Any advice on how burn outs and air pressure?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I love compairing apples to oranges! I picked up .4 in the 1/8 in my 93 AOD GT vert going from 2.73 to 3.73.

This swap will be going from 2.47 open to 3.73 trac loc (hopefully it works)

Pulling gear on the top end takes some power when I had the Mark 8 with 3.08 gears it hit the limiter about 131. The taller tires should have put it over 140 (I don't remember the size and I did not post it) made the effective gear high 2.80 low 2.90? Never hit the limiter again went 136 with just the tire change, got 138 with the exhaust dump. and that car had great aero.

I really want a quick change!

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Oh I see! Dad's car had 3.73 and it did not like the rpm drop going into 5th. If you ask me I think a 3.08 is the best gear for LSR in my speed/power range. Then if you make a little more power you can go from a 26" to 28" tire and pick up about 10 mph. The Capri has to have a roll bar etc. before it can go back to Wilmington, I would have to sell some stuff to fund that, and I kinda want to build a street car.
    Roll bar, good seat, good harness ... cheap insurance. Sell some stuff (yah, I know, I looked in the mirror before I said that.)

Street car with a manual, the 3.73's are probably better than same car with 26" tire and 4.10's if you have an interest in first gear. You'd be shifting into second about the time the clutch was fully engaged, roughly half way through the intersection. haha. However, I think it would pull the OD with 4.10's maybe. The 3.08's are running about 5500 ish at 140 in fourth, 3500 in fifth. The 4.10's about 4500 in fifth... might be enough gear to let it keep pulling. Just thinking out loud.

If it were an AOD, I wouldn't hesitate on the 4.10's... but you got a deal going there with the 3.73's, and I'd be surprised and checking for a broken something if you didn't pick up at least .4 going from 2.73's to 3.73's or more with traction. You're gonna need the DR's.
    Last edited by Beagle; November 12, 2012, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Sorry Russell - I tend to be conservative instead of getting my hopes up - better to be pleasantly surprised than disapointed... trust me that gear change will make the car feel like an animal.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    Fifth, I was thinking LSR...
    Oh I see! Dad's car had 3.73 and it did not like the rpm drop going into 5th. If you ask me I think a 3.08 is the best gear for LSR in my speed/power range. Then if you make a little more power you can go from a 26" to 28" tire and pick up about 10 mph. The Capri has to have a roll bar etc. before it can go back to Wilmington, I would have to sell some stuff to fund that, and I kinda want to build a street car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X