• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1979 Mercury Capri

;D
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It was fun seeing it run. And Russell, we CAN paint the whole deal - I was just looking for you to get your feet wet on a simple project so you could get used to it. An overall paint requires a LOT more prep that just spraying an easily removable panel.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        It was fun seeing it run. And Russell, we CAN paint the whole deal - I was just looking for you to get your feet wet on a simple project so you could get used to it. An overall paint requires a LOT more prep that just spraying an easily removable panel.

Dan
        I was thinking about taken the hood off an seeing if a 87-93 hood will fit I have a couple extra ones in the barn. I even have one I am willing to trim a little to make it fit. I think getting the hood painted will go a long way on its looks. I am thinking about painting the 2 little vents on the hood black when I paint the cowl vent. What do you all think?

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

rustolum roller paint job..

Comment

Rustoleum doesn't teach Russell how to paint, which is the point. That's MY agenda! I think every hot rodder ought to be able to lay down a decent, if not Riddler winning, coat of shiny.

On the color scheme - why not? If the vents are removable (looks like they are) it'll be a piece of cake. Otherwise it's just some careful masking.

Dan

Comment

They are removeable just a few nuts on the underside if the hood

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

One vote yes, yank them and paint them black. I think an all white car causes the salt boys issues? I'm a bit surprised the ECTA hasn't mentioned that as I thought they were using the SCTA rulebook for the most part.

Rustoleum will teach you how to paint from a spray can. Maybe not from a gun, but hey, you still have to pay attention or you get those mile long runs, citrus peel, haze, all kinds of stuff that makes it look bad. Lol.

Aircraft Remover will fix most rustoleum issues. It's a little pricey and kind of nasty to deal with. EZ Off oven cleaner (lye) works pretty well too. Grin.

Does ECTA not allow the wheel covers?

I'm being a dork here so don't get upset - did you run in the 4x4 class? Man that thing is up there. Needs some springs or a cutoff wheel. I bet there are a couple mph just getting it out of the ionosphere. I love the grill cover, btw. Is that painters tape? I'm almost surprised it stayed on. Maybe because it was getting pushed into the grill. I don't think you will like the '87 hood on there unless you do the bumper/caps as well and then it be a belly button. Maybe if you could run a bigass air dam it would help? I never cared for a fox at speeds higher than about 130, keeping the air out from under it would probably be a huge win.

Carry on Russell. Great job - I'm way jealous. I might have even just got some dirt in my eye. It's kind of watering. Your approach is on the money in my book. Run the thing, then worry about stuff. Even though it's dirt cheap, it's Priceless.

Comment

OK, Tom - Wheel covers need to be mechanically retained (like REAL Moon discs). No 4X4 class but it's been discussed. Russell's grill cover and tape system is special LSR-approved high-speed air deflector material. You don't want to know the price but it's just this side of unobtainium. Air dams work big time but can't contact the track, which HAS been an issue.

One of the worst paint debacles I ever had was an MGB fender that I got from Florida. It had been painted with dark green Rustoleum and it took weeks to finally get a coat of enamel to stick - I finally found some enamel-based primer that acted as a sealer. The real car paint kept peeling, even after I stripped the whole fender with sandpaper (some kind of residue and there was no primer under the Rustoleum). So I'm not a fan.

I've never heard any talk about all white cars but it might be too hard to follow them at Bonneville. It's REALLY white out there! Doesn't apply at the ECTA.

Dan

Comment

I give up... I'll never get to run a LSR car - if the cardboard is unobtainium, I can't even imagine what it would cost to replicate a 4x4 mustang with rust :-[
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      One vote yes, yank them and paint them black. I think an all white car causes the salt boys issues? I'm a bit surprised the ECTA hasn't mentioned that as I thought they were using the SCTA rulebook for the most part.

Rustoleum will teach you how to paint from a spray can. Maybe not from a gun, but hey, you still have to pay attention or you get those mile long runs, citrus peel, haze, all kinds of stuff that makes it look bad. Lol.

Aircraft Remover will fix most rustoleum issues. It's a little pricey and kind of nasty to deal with. EZ Off oven cleaner (lye) works pretty well too. Grin.

Does ECTA not allow the wheel covers?

I'm being a dork here so don't get upset - did you run in the 4x4 class? Man that thing is up there. Needs some springs or a cutoff wheel. I bet there are a couple mph just getting it out of the ionosphere. I love the grill cover, btw. Is that painters tape? I'm almost surprised it stayed on. Maybe because it was getting pushed into the grill. I don't think you will like the '87 hood on there unless you do the bumper/caps as well and then it be a belly button. Maybe if you could run a bigass air dam it would help? I never cared for a fox at speeds higher than about 130, keeping the air out from under it would probably be a huge win.

Carry on Russell. Great job - I'm way jealous. I might have even just got some dirt in my eye. It's kind of watering. Your approach is on the money in my book. Run the thing, then worry about stuff. Even though it's dirt cheap, it's Priceless.
                      Looks like Dan beat me to a couple of the questions, Thanks Dan!

I like to call the ride height as received ;D Yes I think there is a very good chance that lowering it would help, but right now it does not make enought power to run the number so there really is no point in lowering it. Desides there are good things about having the 4x4 stance. 1) easy to get on and off trailer even with 4' ramps. 2) Able to open door while on trailer does not hit fender. 3) easy to get a floor jack under for service. My 89 fan 140 and it sits up in the air <---- I am not saying I am not going to lower it but don't I want to cause it to have bump steer and if I can break record(s) but putting a motor in it and an air dam on the front why fix it if it is not broke?

Yes that is 3M painters tape much better that duct tape does not leave sticky glue all over the car. The card board was my required modification to run in the Altered class. It stayed on pretty good for the frist run. I had some flapper after the second but we also had frost over night. So far I have not had any trouble with my card board coming off. If you look really close you can see that it was also attached with one screw in the middle ;D

The 87 hood was more or less thinking out loud they are are a little more rounded, Do not want to change the bumper or maybe just a tempory cover while the hood gets painted.

Thanks for the vote of confidance, I love nice cars, but I truely am cheap and those things don't go together well. I love to see budget builds I can relate to them, and normlly say wow can not beleive it did as well as it did. The guys that show up to the track with a 53' trailer (as much as I would like to have one) I am rarely impressed, some times I get to say you spent all that and are only running X mph even though it might be fast their mph per dollar seams low. Like I have said before I am really not keeping up with the costs so more than likely it will cost more than I think it will. If I can get in the record book for around 2k you will not be able to wipe the grin off my face!

Originally posted by Buickguy
                      I give up... I'll never get to run a LSR car - if the cardboard is unobtainium, I can't even imagine what it would cost to replicate a 4x4 mustang with rust :-[
                      Oh don't sell you self short anybody can find a 4x4 rusted mustang, you might have to look a little harder if you want to find a Capri ;) I can see travel being your biggest burden. They best way to get in to LSR is to start with something you already own. More than likely you would have to ride the breaks to not break out of your tech limit in your GTO, There are even classes for diesel trucks ;)

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Russel and his Dad are the kings of cardboard and masking tape. I picked up 2 mph with their careful application of tape on the seams and custom headlight covers. I still have the tape that Graham wrote my speeds on. Every time I went a little faster he would cross out the old speed and write in the new max.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                          Rustoleum doesn't teach Russell how to paint, which is the point. That's MY agenda! I think every hot rodder ought to be able to lay down a decent, if not Riddler winning, coat of shiny.

On the color scheme - why not? If the vents are removable (looks like they are) it'll be a piece of cake. Otherwise it's just some careful masking.

Dan
                          well many a car/truck has a rustolum sprayed on paint job , thinned with min, spirits..
                          and tons more with john deer paint aka valspar ..
                          all much cheaper than the automotive lines,,
                          don't know about your area but jan 1st 2012 no more automotive non waterbased paint..

Comment

Everybody loves Pictures!

This one was taken by DW Photos check it out and buy some from him so he keeps coming back to the races! I got <---- pic on my 89 from him last year!

I took these.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

how did you run with 4 lug wheels..
                              walt has a 4 lug that he needs to make 5 lug, is this a class thing

Comment

No, it's a Bonneville thing. I race at Maxton with 4-lug wheels also.

Comment

Working...
                                X