Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Please VOTE for the Evil TWIN and I in the Always a Champion Sweepstakes, go here, register and VOTE ONCE Daily! http://contest.alwaysachampion.com/c...wentry/1007448

As far back as talking to Eddie Hill in the early 90's I've had this build in the back of my head.

My original plan was to try to be NHRA Legal by using 2 approved bellhousings, but with Eagle Field happening I'm going the more economical route.

The build is going to use 2 small block Chevy's side by side with the flywheels (having 2 ring gears installed and pinned on each) will be mated directly together much like this but with both my engines facing forward.

One engine will be reverse rotation which is a hurdle I solved by aquiring an old Chris Craft Cam and drive......

I positioned 2 engines side by side on the ground and determined I'd use 168 tooth flywheels

The car will use a narrow pair of Towel City Pie Crust slicks to get the direct drive car off the line in a plume of smoke I hope

The rear tires will wrap a set of 5 spokes

Up front I'll use a set of Harley Davidson 16" wheels converted to early Ford Spindles

All of this will have a basic Tube frame design with a Large Radius 5 point cage simular to the old Dragmaster chassis'
    that I can bend myself with a bender I made years ago

More to come as I'd like to to have the car on display if not running at Eagle Field May 21st! Rocky
    Last edited by Toymaker; January 2, 2012, 07:50 PM.

Re: Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

this is greatness!

Comment

Man, how cool!

Toy, I'm a big dummy and have always wondered how the rear ends worked in these cars with the twin center sections. How the heck to do you build/set that up?
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'll try to explain how I was going to do it. The twin pumkin idea would have had the 2 carriers tied together using the axles. One axle into one side of one spool and the other axle would go thru its spool and into the the remainig side of the other. The long axle would have splines at the end to engage one side of a spool and in the middle for the spool it would pass thru.

Comment

I've been looking at these style cars for a while and researched many sites including
          http://twotogo.homestead.com/TwoToGoPageTwo.html,
          plus Ivo ran this setup

in his twin gas dragster which I believe was pretty succesfull or he at least drove the shit out of it!

Comment

way cool.. any chance you'll share a few pics/specs of your homebuilt tube bender?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Bad ass!

I got a question too...how do we address oiling with the motors at such a drastic angle
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

very kool MORE! LOL

Comment

Twin engined dragsters require twice as much "nerve" to drive. Way to go!!

My buddy built a twin engine street rod a couple years back. Twice the power, twice the fun.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                    way cool.. any chance you'll share a few pics/specs of your homebuilt tube bender?
                    I'll show the bender when I drag the beast out to bend some tubing. If I were to do it again I'd buy one ;D The angle of the engines still allows for the oil to flow back to the pans and the pans and pick-ups will be modified to make the floors level.
                    As far as the chassis goes it's going to be a short car, a Kieth Tardel chassis would be the ticket but I'll build a tube chassis with a 120" wheelbase and with the engines set way back (no trans) it should look really cool, plus I'm not trying to do a tribute car. The intake system is a biggy, ultimately (2 sets of) tubes (injecters) is what I want, that will be a hold up so I'll build manifolds for Strombergs.
                    All I know is I can't wait to see what happens when I drop the hammer on this beast!
                    The car will be a Dragster in the form of a Modified Roadster, here is the body I picked up and some photos of inspiration...........

Comment

WOW! This is going to be great to watch. You're a brave and talented man ;D
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                        WOW! This is going to be great to watch. You're a brave and talented man ;D
                        Thanks for the kind words, it's gonna be a blast!
                        Getting the engines ready for layout...... I removed everything off the front of the engines and cleaned the machined surfaces so when I set them on a flat surface the back of the engines should be straight also.

After flipping the engines I encountered my first obstical, I had to cut the starter mounting off the LH engine to get the flywheels to mesh.The block I'm using is an junk block, so out came the sawsall.

Once I cut the block the flywheels matched great and now I can get started on my engine plate pattern.
                        After setting the two egines together I found the frame width is going to be 28-32" wide

After a little thought of transfering the bolt pattern to a tempate I decided to use Set Screws put in the block backwards....

So after cutting out a piece of scrap aluminum, removing the dowels and positioning the set screws just above the block surface I positioned my template and placed a flat punch on the template over the set set screws and struck it with a hammer...........

I found a piece of 3/8" steel plate today at work and cut the holes for the crankshafts. At first was planning on using this to make a pattern to use with a transfer punch with and then I tought I just need a "GIZMO" to hold the transfer punch centered an just use the aluminum template I made........

Comment

Great project. I'm guessing you're kind of retracing the steps of the early twin engine dragster guys who had to figure all this out in the first place. Looks like you're working it out just fine.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            Great project. I'm guessing you're kind of retracing the steps of the early twin engine dragster guys who had to figure all this out in the first place. Looks like you're working it out just fine.

Dan
                            Thanks Dan!
                            Although heavy I'm going to use the 3/8 for know or forever and just trim it as necessary and lighten it with some holes
                            With the plate as strong as it is I decided to flip it over and get a look at it.......

I'm pretty happy and found the intake angle at 28 degrees if I'm reading it correctly.....

Got the front engine plate roughed out and with everything tightened up I have .055 clearence between the teeth. I haven't drilled the Dowel Holes in the plate and the holes are dead on so I could drill one engines mounting holes out to 7/16 and move the engines together another .030 before the dowel holes are drilled. I dunno, time and some stripped teeth will tell ;D

I moved the engines closer together and may machine just a bit off the Ring Gear teeth as the teeth are almost bottomed out when I have the lash I'm happy with.

Comment

The OE GM cam I purchased came out of a REV engine rotation marine application and came complete with the gear to gear drive. With the gear to gear drive the camshaft will turn in the normal rotation direction allowing stock Oil Pump and Distributor. I had the Cam reground by Clay Smith to 231* @ .050 with .480 lift, much bigger than a mild street cam but I'm not trying to set any records ;D

The cam timing ws checked with the piston at TDC on overlap (both lifters up) the intake lifter is about .030 higher than the exhaust, good enough check (on a single pattern cam) for me with a firing order of 12756348. The right hand engine has simular specs although it is a late 350 with 59cc heads and the left engine is a stock 307 with the same heads.

I took a photo of the rear main brg so I can compare afte I fire the egines a few times.

Comment

Working...
                              X