My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

It's probably late now but when mig welding body panels, I'm going to start planishing the welds with a dolly and hammer if I can get at the back of the panel. The guy "MP&C" here (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=53534) is a metal genius. I never would have thought it made that big of a difference but this guy sounds exactly like my old body shop teacher (but obviously way more talented).

Bad ass welder BTW!
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

I see your issue about the top.... maybe be creative and put a large sunroof opening in it (like a model A sedan)?

The rear looks excellent. The front - hard to tell, but maybe have the circle track guy you bought the shocks from take a look at it? It appears from the pictures that the axle can fold under the 4 link.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't think it should be able to. four link in back, radius rods in front. The hairpins would have to fail for it to fold under. Please let me know if you disagree

Comment

from the picture it appears that your front control arms are a 4-link design. the problem(s) I see, based upon the picture, would be most noticable when you're braking hard. The axle isn't centered, and since the lower link is above the axle you'll have high leverage against the lower arm. thus if the arm bent.... life would get kind of interesting at that point. ;) realistically, the lower arm is the most important as it'd have the most stress on it since its natural tendancy would be to try to fold under the car.

Comment

I went out and spent some time looking at it last night. I agree with your assessment and will reinforce the lower arm. I would prefer to have the axle centered between the links but it didn't work out with my frame design. The joys of building a car from scratch

Comment

I'm very jealous of your buy, and more so of your fab skills! That chop
              looks killer, the custom grill is entirely bad-ass, and the bed will be too!

Maybe a short (5' or less) bed to keep the thing Truckster-ish? ;D

Comment

The whole thing looks like fun. I'm curious to see how the straight axle handles with coilovers and sitting low like that.
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I just caught up on your whole build thread, WOW! Cool project. AWESOME fab work. I liked the rear FOX set-up you started with, gives me some ideas for a future project.

LOVE the grille, LOVE the Ford power too. What trans? Heat makes old kingpins run scared (even tho they say not to, I've always done it, and warm up the spindle-axle, and freeze the new pin before install, they fall together)

FYI, if you don't know all ready, if your water pump if for a sepentine belt style late model, it spins reverse rotation from a V belt style, since thats what I see you have bolted to the crank.
                  Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

May I suggest http://www.racingsoftware.com/chassis_setup_secrets.htm I bought this book a while ago, tons of great info
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Finally warmed up a little tonight so I got out to the shop for a while. Got the steering installed and hooked up, actually went together a little easier than things usually do seems nice and tight. I'm sure it's not up to modern rack and pinion feel and precision but it seems worlds better than the steering in my 92 dodge truck.

68 dodge dart manual steering box, homemade pitman arm, homemade column. I do plan on trimming the excess shaft off the steering wheel hub. Safety first!

Comment

progress... coolness.

Comment

This is badass glockster. I have to ask, being a Sailor myself, are you a Snipe?

Comment

Love your fabrication and welding skills!
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

This is badass glockster. I have to ask, being a Sailor myself, are you a Snipe?
                              Of course. Once upon a time I was and Engineman 2nd class

Comment

Originally posted by glockster
                                Of course. Once upon a time I was and Engineman 2nd class
                                With your fab skills, I was thinking either EN or MR. I'm just an old 'tron chaser (FCC) myself, although I'm still pretty handy around a car. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X