X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Re: My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

from the picture it appears that your front control arms are a 4-link design. the problem(s) I see, based upon the picture, would be most noticable when you're braking hard. The axle isn't centered, and since the lower link is above the axle you'll have high leverage against the lower arm. thus if the arm bent.... life would get kind of interesting at that point. ;) realistically, the lower arm is the most important as it'd have the most stress on it since its natural tendancy would be to try to fold under the car.

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied

I don't think it should be able to. four link in back, radius rods in front. The hairpins would have to fail for it to fold under. Please let me know if you disagree

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

I see your issue about the top.... maybe be creative and put a large sunroof opening in it (like a model A sedan)?

The rear looks excellent. The front - hard to tell, but maybe have the circle track guy you bought the shocks from take a look at it? It appears from the pictures that the axle can fold under the 4 link.

Leave a comment:

• milkovich
    replied

It's probably late now but when mig welding body panels, I'm going to start planishing the welds with a dolly and hammer if I can get at the back of the panel. The guy "MP&C" here (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=53534) is a metal genius. I never would have thought it made that big of a difference but this guy sounds exactly like my old body shop teacher (but obviously way more talented).

Bad ass welder BTW!

Leave a comment:

• nesabo
    replied

great truck. It is your truck make it the way you want. I like it!

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

Wow that's a lot of work! Excellent! I love the look of the front end!

I'm betting you're going to make your own bed...

Leave a comment:

• Weldangrind
    replied

X2 on the tube grill shell and expanded metal. It's a good look.

Props for dumping the M2 stuff and swapping in a kingpin front end.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied

I like the hood and custom grill better than the old grill shell. Glad to see you are puting a ford in your ford. What do you have planed for the bed

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied

The motor is a stock short block roller cam 302. Put on some old windsor junior cast iron heads, trick flow stage 2 cam, HEI distributor and an old edelbrock torker intake manifold. Took me a while to get it running, was really getting frustrated until somone told me the cam changes the firing order from 302 style to 351 style >

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied

As bad as I wanted the ride and handling of the mustang II front end I just couldn't get over how ugly it was. I cut the front of the frame off and started over.

I sold the M2 setup and got a front axle out of a 64 international pickup. Had to replace the kingpins, brakes, bearings etc and built mounts for a set of hairpins to hold it in place. The coilovers are swap meet items out of some kind of circle track car. I broke my dads 60 year old 40 ton hydraulic press pushing out the kingpins. Not a job I'd like to do again

My 9 year old daughter thought it was scandalous to not have a hood on a car. Since the grill shell and fenders weren't salvageable I didn't think I could use it. I put it on to show her it wouldn't work and loved the look of it. Had to fab up a new lower grill to hold it up.

Probably not everyone's taste but it's my truck and I like it.

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied

Probably not the right way but like I said, it's my first time. I basically cut a piece of sheet metal to bridge over the low spot caused by the oil can.

The mustang rear end I originally mounted was really a little too narrow. Plus it had four lug axles and I also wasn't confident I was getting the geometry right on the factory control arms. I scored a good deal on an 8.8 out of a late model lincoln town car and built a paralell 4 bar to hold it in

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Originally posted by glockster
    Believe it or not it was my first time, I was following instructions out of an old magazine. The biggest problem was the roof, I should have cut it farther forward where there was more support. After I got done the whole center of the roof "oil canned" down about an inch, took a lot of fill and patch work. I'm always very envious of those guys who can do metal work like this with no bondo.
    the oil canning can be fixed - heck, even the pros get that issue.... but you cut in the right spot on the windshield, you left it on the original frame when you cut it apart, you did perfect cuts.... those are the major ones that 1st timers ignore. you do have me curious.... you filled the oil canning? with what?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied

Looks like a really fun project, look foward to seeing more

Leave a comment:

• Weldangrind
    replied

Welcome!

Love the split window and the cab beltline. I'll enjoy this build.

What is that grille shell from?

Leave a comment:

• 67pete300
    replied

Wow! Awesome project (and progress so far.) You'll be right at home here...keep us updated!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X