No announcement yet.

My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Cow it's been 8 years since I started this thread. Life got in the way for a while but I'm back at it with this project.

To give you an idea how long I've been working on it: This is my daughter with the truck the day I bought it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMQmfA.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	1242834

And this is her now, on a motorcycle ride with me to celebrate her high-school graduation:

Name:	OJubp6v.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1242835

Comment

I've been slowly working on it here and there. I built a house on the family farm a few years ago and built my shop in the old barn built by my grandpa in the 30's. finally room for a car lift

Name:	iJUxOKa.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1242837

Got the engine done and running. Learned you can put the head gaskets on upside down on a SBF. Had a lot of trouble overheating during the first couple of test drives but I think it just needed burped after I fixed the head gaskets. Seems to be better now but haven'e taken it on the road yet.

Name:	8JuKjfQ.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1242838

Wired it using a "Universal" wiring kit off of Amazon. Actually pretty good quality and had all the wire I needed. Instructions were not great though so had to make up a lot of it as I went

Name:	icFoiec.jpg
Size:	980.1 KB
ID:	1242839

Comment

Fixed the holes in the dash and got the gauges installed. Rattle canned the dash with some metalflake black paint

Name:	ZvcbJbz.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1242842

Made the seat bottom out of plywood and covered it with 6" high density foam and black vinyl ordered from Amazon. Luckily I've got my mom around to sew it all up for me

Name:	kYA4brp.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1242843

Comment

Originally posted by glockster View Post
          Holy Cow it's been 8 years since I started this thread. Life got in the way for a while but I'm back at it with this project.

To give you an idea how long I've been working on it: This is my daughter with the truck the day I bought it.

Name:	DAMQmfA.jpg
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	1242834

And this is her now, on a motorcycle ride with me to celebrate her high-school graduation:

Name:	OJubp6v.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1242835
          I can clearly see you had your hands full beating the boys off

now that she can take care of herself,

welcome back!
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Life happens fast! Just reread the tread. Thought I missed it then saw I didn't. Glad to see you are back at it.

Now that I have kids one of my favorite saying is the days are long and the years are short!
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Another view showing the bed. Started off as a 50's or 60's bed. I narrowed and shortened it to fit

Name:	pYIh4N8.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1243047

Comment

Trans is a swap meet AOD. Another pic from years ago of my other daughter "helping" me install the valve body

Name:	z7O3KkZ.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	1243049

Starting to fill in the ugliness on the roof

Name:	QxIERJE.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	548.4 KB
ID:	1243050

Comment

nice
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Need to start thinking about window glass. Because of the chop I will need to have it custom made and have no idea how to go about it. At least it's all flat, 2 piece windshield

Assume I can make a cardboard template of the opening and send to a glass shop. Need to find one that does this kind of work, none of my local auto glass people were interested

Name:	5f4z004.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	785.3 KB
ID:	1243699

Name:	ESHU690.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	682.5 KB
ID:	1243700

Comment

Whelp- It's been 4 years since my last post and 12 years since I started this thread. I suppose it's time for an update
                      Teaser pics-
                      My youngest daughter that "helped" me with the transmission-

Views:	96
ID:	1336458

Drove the truck to senior prom this year

Name:	p6fhpE0.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	1336459

Comment

I like the direction! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by glockster View Post
                          Whelp- It's been 4 years since my last post and 12 years since I started this thread. I suppose it's time for an update
                          Teaser pics-
                          My youngest daughter that "helped" me with the transmission-

Views:	96
ID:	1336458

Drove the truck to senior prom this year

Name:	p6fhpE0.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	1336459
                          The kid clearly takes after her Mom! (J/K - never met either of you. Just my way of sayin' she's a pretty young lady)

Comment

First, lets talk about patina. That's the cool thing to have now and while this truck had patina coming out it's tailpipe, it wasn't very good patina. The things had multiple coats of paint over the years and the top coat appeared to be some sort of house paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	qy8NG71.jpg Views:	0 Size:	484.3 KB ID:	1336508

First I tried a chemical stripper and while that bubbled up the housepaint nicely it didn't really touch the layers under that. I tried stripping some areas with a wire wheel on a 4.5" grinder and while that worked it seemed like way too much effort. I've noticed that as soon as this project starts to seem like work it gets shuffled off to the back burner. Plus the subcutaneous injection of stainless steel wires in my arm got old really quickly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MVfYBiB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	784.9 KB ID:	1336509

More drastic actions were going to be required. Namely loading it onto a trailer and taking it to a professional. Found a place a couple of counties over that had one of those wet blasting rigs. It worked like a charm, stripped all the paint and rust down to bare metal. Since I was traveling for work it ended up sitting there a few weeks and when I picked it up it was still pristine. Apparently there's something in the wet blast media that puts on a rust preventive as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wYTdiCa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	619.4 KB ID:	1336510

Click image for larger version  Name:	kmrulaF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	630.6 KB ID:	1336511

Click image for larger version  Name:	wpByUEJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	653.1 KB ID:	1336512

Saved me a ton of work and came out great. Next step was to mask it off. For this, I enlisted the skills of daughter Grace. Great to have her helping me. I told her if we got it done she could drive it to jr prom which she was pretty happy about. She did have a pretty cool ride for sophomore year prom but this one will be much louder, faster and even more unsafer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WCPy2uy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.9 KB ID:	1336513
                            Last edited by glockster; May 2, 2023, 06:17 AM.

Comment

yep

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

The kid clearly takes after her Mom! (J/K - never met either of you. Just my way of sayin' she's a pretty young lady)
                                Definitely her mom

Name:	ZpKcZw8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1336516

Comment

Working...
                                X