My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

Was at a farm sale a few years ago and spotted this beauty. Had no intention of buying it but was the only bidder at $50

rust 42-46 ford truck cab with a trashed front clip.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd180/usnen2/5.jpg

Was all mounted to a 60s ford truck frame. body mounts were pieces of steel fence posts welded to the firewall and the frame.

I had no idea what I was doing but I decided it would look better with 4" or so out of the top

Definitely a step in the right direction

Next I got rid of the old frame and started fabbing up a new one out of 2x4

fox body rear end I scavenged out of the scrap pile at a friends house

fabbed up a Welder Series mustang II front

Re: My first project thread- el cheapo 46 ford

Lookin' good. I'd say that was a good deal for $50 - remember that the bits you don't use (like the frame) have weight and therefore value. Looks like you're well on your way.

Welcome to the madness that is BS
    Dan

Comment

cool project.... however, I'm not terribly sure I believe that you have no idea what you're doing - nice chop.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Believe it or not it was my first time, I was following instructions out of an old magazine. The biggest problem was the roof, I should have cut it farther forward where there was more support. After I got done the whole center of the roof "oil canned" down about an inch, took a lot of fill and patch work. I'm always very envious of those guys who can do metal work like this with no bondo.

Comment

Wow! Awesome project (and progress so far.) You'll be right at home here...keep us updated!
          1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Welcome!

Love the split window and the cab beltline. I'll enjoy this build.

What is that grille shell from?

Comment

Looks like a really fun project, look foward to seeing more
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by glockster
                Believe it or not it was my first time, I was following instructions out of an old magazine. The biggest problem was the roof, I should have cut it farther forward where there was more support. After I got done the whole center of the roof "oil canned" down about an inch, took a lot of fill and patch work. I'm always very envious of those guys who can do metal work like this with no bondo.
                the oil canning can be fixed - heck, even the pros get that issue.... but you cut in the right spot on the windshield, you left it on the original frame when you cut it apart, you did perfect cuts.... those are the major ones that 1st timers ignore. you do have me curious.... you filled the oil canning? with what?
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Probably not the right way but like I said, it's my first time. I basically cut a piece of sheet metal to bridge over the low spot caused by the oil can.

The mustang rear end I originally mounted was really a little too narrow. Plus it had four lug axles and I also wasn't confident I was getting the geometry right on the factory control arms. I scored a good deal on an 8.8 out of a late model lincoln town car and built a paralell 4 bar to hold it in

Comment

As bad as I wanted the ride and handling of the mustang II front end I just couldn't get over how ugly it was. I cut the front of the frame off and started over.

I sold the M2 setup and got a front axle out of a 64 international pickup. Had to replace the kingpins, brakes, bearings etc and built mounts for a set of hairpins to hold it in place. The coilovers are swap meet items out of some kind of circle track car. I broke my dads 60 year old 40 ton hydraulic press pushing out the kingpins. Not a job I'd like to do again

My 9 year old daughter thought it was scandalous to not have a hood on a car. Since the grill shell and fenders weren't salvageable I didn't think I could use it. I put it on to show her it wouldn't work and loved the look of it. Had to fab up a new lower grill to hold it up.

Probably not everyone's taste but it's my truck and I like it.

Comment

The motor is a stock short block roller cam 302. Put on some old windsor junior cast iron heads, trick flow stage 2 cam, HEI distributor and an old edelbrock torker intake manifold. Took me a while to get it running, was really getting frustrated until somone told me the cam changes the firing order from 302 style to 351 style >

Comment

I like the hood and custom grill better than the old grill shell. Glad to see you are puting a ford in your ford. What do you have planed for the bed
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

X2 on the tube grill shell and expanded metal. It's a good look.

Props for dumping the M2 stuff and swapping in a kingpin front end.

Comment

Wow that's a lot of work! Excellent! I love the look of the front end!

I'm betting you're going to make your own bed...
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

great truck. It is your truck make it the way you want. I like it!
                              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X