Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glockster
    replied
    Next step is to get some coverage on the metal before it starts to rust again. Used some epoxy primer from Eastwood that worked really well, sprayed nice and had good coverage

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-gray-epoxy-primers.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	YbSuuV2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	850.2 KB ID:	1336568

After this came the work to hide my butchery on the sheet metal. Basically applying 1 pound of bondo, sanding off .95 pounds of bondo and then repeat ad infinitum

Click image for larger version  Name:	WaqMTnf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	537.2 KB ID:	1336569

after many days and nights of this, a quick rinse to get rid of the 12 pounds of bondo dust covering everything

Click image for larger version  Name:	n2cEJjo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	624.0 KB ID:	1336570

Click image for larger version  Name:	Xfgbnzc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1336571

I really had to make an effort to not get too wrapped up in trying to make it look nice. Not much point in having the roof perfectly smooth when there are still actual rust holes I don't plan on fixing elsewhere on the body. Not because I'm going for a certain "rat rod" look but because I'm lazy and don't like bodywork.

after "finishing" the filler work I sprayed another coat of epoxy primer over where I had been working. this was some stuff I got off of amazon but it didn't work nearly as well. Thats what I get for cheaping out I guess

time for some actual paint! Going to paint the bodylines white with another color on the rest. Had some Ford white paint I got off of ebay left over from when I thought I was going to paint my F250.

Click image for larger version  Name:	26moL6W.jpg Views:	0 Size:	386.4 KB ID:	1336572

Click image for larger version  Name:	3oIOcmC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	546.2 KB ID:	1336573
    Last edited by glockster; May 3, 2023, 06:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Originally posted by glockster View Post

Definitely her mom

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZpKcZw8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1336516
    Just found this and got to here . Great project , great work. And just like the rest of us guys , you married up !

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    And the older you get the faster time flies. I (barely) remember when I was a kid and an hour was FOREVER. Now it seems like just a second.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    amazing (and kinda scary!) how fast the time goes,
    one day theyre learning to walk/talk and it seems
    like a week or two later its high school graduation,
    another week and its college graduation, a week more
    and theyre talking about settling down.....

where does the time go. it was all just in the blink of
    an eye seems like....

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

The kid clearly takes after her Mom! (J/K - never met either of you. Just my way of sayin' she's a pretty young lady)
    Definitely her mom

Name:	ZpKcZw8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1336516

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    yep

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    First, lets talk about patina. That's the cool thing to have now and while this truck had patina coming out it's tailpipe, it wasn't very good patina. The things had multiple coats of paint over the years and the top coat appeared to be some sort of house paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	qy8NG71.jpg Views:	0 Size:	484.3 KB ID:	1336508

First I tried a chemical stripper and while that bubbled up the housepaint nicely it didn't really touch the layers under that. I tried stripping some areas with a wire wheel on a 4.5" grinder and while that worked it seemed like way too much effort. I've noticed that as soon as this project starts to seem like work it gets shuffled off to the back burner. Plus the subcutaneous injection of stainless steel wires in my arm got old really quickly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MVfYBiB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	784.9 KB ID:	1336509

More drastic actions were going to be required. Namely loading it onto a trailer and taking it to a professional. Found a place a couple of counties over that had one of those wet blasting rigs. It worked like a charm, stripped all the paint and rust down to bare metal. Since I was traveling for work it ended up sitting there a few weeks and when I picked it up it was still pristine. Apparently there's something in the wet blast media that puts on a rust preventive as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wYTdiCa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	619.4 KB ID:	1336510

Click image for larger version  Name:	kmrulaF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	630.6 KB ID:	1336511

Click image for larger version  Name:	wpByUEJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	653.1 KB ID:	1336512

Saved me a ton of work and came out great. Next step was to mask it off. For this, I enlisted the skills of daughter Grace. Great to have her helping me. I told her if we got it done she could drive it to jr prom which she was pretty happy about. She did have a pretty cool ride for sophomore year prom but this one will be much louder, faster and even more unsafer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WCPy2uy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.9 KB ID:	1336513
    Last edited by glockster; May 2, 2023, 06:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by glockster View Post
    Whelp- It's been 4 years since my last post and 12 years since I started this thread. I suppose it's time for an update
    Teaser pics-
    My youngest daughter that "helped" me with the transmission-

Name:	z7O3KkZ.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	1336458

Drove the truck to senior prom this year

Name:	p6fhpE0.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	1336459
    The kid clearly takes after her Mom! (J/K - never met either of you. Just my way of sayin' she's a pretty young lady)

Leave a comment:

• BFXJason
    replied
    I like the direction! Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    Whelp- It's been 4 years since my last post and 12 years since I started this thread. I suppose it's time for an update
    Teaser pics-
    My youngest daughter that "helped" me with the transmission-

Views:	96
ID:	1336458

Drove the truck to senior prom this year

Name:	p6fhpE0.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	1336459

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    Need to start thinking about window glass. Because of the chop I will need to have it custom made and have no idea how to go about it. At least it's all flat, 2 piece windshield

Assume I can make a cardboard template of the opening and send to a glass shop. Need to find one that does this kind of work, none of my local auto glass people were interested

Name:	5f4z004.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	785.3 KB
ID:	1243699

Name:	ESHU690.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	682.5 KB
ID:	1243700

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    nice

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    Trans is a swap meet AOD. Another pic from years ago of my other daughter "helping" me install the valve body

Views:	111
ID:	1243049

Starting to fill in the ugliness on the roof

Name:	QxIERJE.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	548.4 KB
ID:	1243050

Leave a comment:

• glockster
    replied
    Another view showing the bed. Started off as a 50's or 60's bed. I narrowed and shortened it to fit

Name:	pYIh4N8.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1243047

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Life happens fast! Just reread the tread. Thought I missed it then saw I didn't. Glad to see you are back at it.

Now that I have kids one of my favorite saying is the days are long and the years are short!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X