Bamfster's Drag Week Trailer ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamfster's Drag Week Trailer ...

I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll be towing a trailer on DW. On one hand, I want the car to be self supporting as a true street car should be. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to do the whole trip on the Hoosiers ... and I don't know if I'll even have room in the car for a spare tire. I think over the past year I've trimmed down the essentials that I need in the tool bags when I go racing, and I've devised a power inverter to charge the cordless drill/saw/impact that easily fits in the trunk.

Anyway, I'm gonna start working on a trailer just in case I decide to use one. I built this trailer about eight years ago for a friend. It was made to haul his ATV to the hills, unload the ATV, load the trailer up with his camping/hunting gear and hook it to the ATV and head into the woods. It was made narrow and to sit high on purpose so it'd fit down the narrow trails and make water crossings.

He sold the ATV and gave me the trailer. I decided a few years ago to re-make it wider, longer and lower to haul my golfcart behind my travel trailer. In the rush to get it ready for a camping trip a few years ago, I kinda half a$$ed putting it together. So I need to cut a few things apart and rebuild/reinforce some areas.

The original trailer is all of the part that is cover with the expanded metal. The axle was cut and sleeved both inside and out and re-welded so I could lower it 4 1/2 inches.

I need to beef up the spare tire carrier a bit, fenders need to be cut off and re-hung (straight this time). and I want to add a wood floor. I'll also add about a foot to the tongue, throw a few gussets back to the frame from it and build a rack to carry a cooler or two up in the front (exposed).

Throw some ideas at me guy, what would you add that fits within the DW rules for trailers?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Bamfster's Drag Week Trailer ...

Shag carpet.

(I couldn't resist ;D)
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Would the rack for the coolers disqualify you for added footage? I don't know, just asking.

Like it, but I have a thing for morphing stuff over time to fit different needs. Cool trailer.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

sides, a top and a back door.... otherwise, you could prove evolution because anything not nailed down on the trailer could learn to walk.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yea stuff will be locked up....

adding a foot will keep me at 11" 10" stem to stern, so I'm good there. I need to find a wrecked on one side semi trailer for the aluminum skin!

Comment

Dan,check out the local Tractor,trailer repair shop.We got some siding from one in Columbus to make a radiator shroud for Ev Bernado's Camaro at DW.

Comment

your local home depot should have the textured, plastic sheeting used in bathrooms and commercial dishrooms. It makes excellent siding, is waterproof, is really cheap, easy to cut with normal tools, and is damn near impenetrable without power tools. Plus, you can get really fancy and make radius bends with it (its limit is about a 12" radius 90 degree bend)...

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                your local home depot should have the textured, plastic sheeting used in bathrooms and commercial dishrooms. It makes excellent siding, is waterproof, is really cheap, easy to cut with normal tools, and is damn near impenetrable without power tools. Plus, you can get really fancy and make radius bends with it (its limit is about a 12" radius 90 degree bend)...

DUDE!!!

You just gave me one helluva idea. Thanks!

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Ron,thought you had indoor plumbing ;D ;D

Comment

So throw some ideas at me guys ... what kind of accessories does it need?

A place for beer errr I mean soda coolers is a given. But how about a vise? Maybe a small generator to power drills/saws and recharge cordless drills/impacts?

I think a built in grill would be cool ....

Comment

hmmm - is this going to become a dragweek specific trailer or do you have other uses for it the other 51 weeks a year?

if you're going to unload everything into the hotel room every night for security reasons - I would not mount a vice or bring a generator, unless they're on wheels.

using angle iron on the surface of the trailer to create a "modular" spots to hold specific items may not be a bad idea.

I think the most important thing to build would be a tire rack - so you have a specific place to put your racing wheels and tires and have a big cable and padlock to lock them in place.

Other than that - if you plan to use the trailer for other things, I'd put up the rack for the race wheels and not modify the rest of it.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I borrowed a small generator and compressor and carried those along with tools, jack, stands, spare parts, and ice chest. I like the idea of having a vise. Maybe do a hitch receiver type setup so you can stash it when not being used.

Mine was uncovered the whole time and I didn't have a problem but then it didn't rain in '09. I just tarped it at the hotels and ran a custom lenght 3/8 plastic coated cable through the wheels and generator/ compressor and padlocked them to the trailer. Everything was stashed under and between the track wheels/tires with some creative packing. Hearing about that plastic sheeting being flexible gives me an idea for possibly covering it though.

Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Most of the time there is a trash going on in the hotel parking lots and dont know of anyone having something come up missing.Dont mark any coolers with the word"BEER".Might lose some. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                            hmmm - is this going to become a dragweek specific trailer or do you have other uses for it the other 51 weeks a year?
                            The only thing it has to do the rest of the year is hold my golfcart if we take it camping, other than that it just sits.

My plan is to make everything secure so I don't have to completely unload the trailer every day. Cables and padlocks are a given for the wheels/tires. Generator and vise will be bolted and or tacked in place ..... so basically the whole trailer would have to be taken. Not that that isn't a possibility, but I'm guessing that the car would be more likely to get horked than this POS trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                              So throw some ideas at me guys ... what kind of accessories does it need?

A place for beer errr I mean soda coolers is a given. But how about a vise? Maybe a small generator to power drills/saws and recharge cordless drills/impacts?

I think a built in grill would be cool ....
                              A wobbly wheel and a squeaky bearings? ;D
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X