Crappy DD maintenace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy DD maintenace

Big fun today on the ram...last night the IAC suffered an instantaneousness and catastrophic failure and then today the trans was acting odd, erratic shifting at low speeds. So I decided to change the speed sensor after i swapped the IAC on warranty. I assume by looking at it it is a magnetic pickup that reads phase angle or rotational speed of gears in the trans. when I pulled it it had a large ball of goop on the end of it...all fine metal shavings...installed the new one and the odd shifting went away...

No pics...just had to share a small victory.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Crappy DD maintenace

Yay for small victories.

I'm gonna have to replace the starter on the Skylark shortly :-\
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
      Big fun today on the ram...last night the IAC suffered an instantaneousness and catastrophic failure and then today the trans was acting odd, erratic shifting at low speeds. So I decided to change the speed sensor after i swapped the IAC on warranty. I assume by looking at it it is a magnetic pickup that reads phase angle or rotational speed of gears in the trans. when I pulled it it had a large ball of goop on the end of it...all fine metal shavings...installed the new one and the odd shifting went away..
      Thats pretty commom on newer Dodge trucks it seems, sensor in the tailshaft of trans. going bad but, thats not the speed sensor for MPH, that sensor is in the diff. housing and reads a reluctor ring on the ring gear. The one in the trans. sends info. to the ecm about tailshaft RPM, both of those plus a screwy TPS make Rams have wacky acting shifts but, all are easy fixes thank goodness. Sometimes the small victories taste better ah Joe. I have a bunch of Dodge Rams in my fleet at work, and those three sensors are the common ones to go bad, and make the whole truck drive lke they have a terimal illness lol.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

funny you say that because the rear ABS Speed sensor is bad too but no one had it in stock and the one place that did couldn't ring me up because their computer systems were down...I will order one tonight from Rock Auto...

This one is a 99...has not given me many problems in the last 12 years...the damn IAC sensors fail all the time...I need to just go buy an OE one...instead of dealing with the cheap parts store crap.

I guess the small victories are better than one bog win every once in a while....
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Ditto on buying OE Mopar stuff instead of over the counter. I've had WAY better luck with OE parts for Dodge, and cost for me is the same or even alittle less.

Wait till you have to change the crank sensor, THATS fun, altho your truck isn't rusty like the norhteast stuff I work on.
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I ONLY buy OE brake pads and shoes now and any replacement part that I got that was OE has outlasted any of the crap from the parts stores ten fold. It is worth it to spend a few bucks more just to avoid the inconvenience of changing the part out over and over. Sometimes tho, when the bank balance is low...the parts store is the only option...

Comment

Sounds like it's Taco Time. Have a beer too.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working on the DD is part of the program - the money we save working on the DD's we can put into the hotrod piggy bank, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Celebrating the small victories makes life much more satisfying!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Indeed its part of the deal. Instead of building a 455 today I am doing rear brakes on the winter beater. Tomorrow I get to do a power steering line on the 4x4 winter beater.

Comment

Working...
                  X