2000 Grand Prix GTP 12's for cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Grand Prix GTP 12's for cheap

yup here is the new project still have the merc and will still be working on the merc

i will be building this car the most bangshifty way i know how CHEAP and it will still be a DD here is the car

it's a bone stock down to the factory installed plugs 2000 GTP with the supercharged 3800 series II making 240hp and 280ft-lbs tourqe. this car is a fully loaded one with the rare and expensive sun roof option. has the heads up display, digital driver info center, digital climate control, BOSE sound system, perfomance shift, leather, power lumbar, heated driver seat, auto dimming mirror

the plan like the title says is to run 12's 12.9-12.8 get 30mpg on the high way and still be a reliable DD. now i did this before with my old car a GP coupeb ut i waisted a ton of money becuase of not knowing what i was doing. this will be interesting ;D

Re: 2000 Grand Prix GTP 12's for cheap

Nice buy!! I am currently looking for different DD for my wife and I just cant believe used car prices/mileage. A GTP would fit the bill nicely if I could find one decently priced.

Is there much you can do to them without spending a lot of money performance wise?
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Comment

depends on your budget. used parts are awsome and you can get some ported heads decently priced

i will probably be getting a 3.2" pulley, headers, cam of some sort probably a VS or XP (both are comp cam grinds), i have a PCM tuner, and a home made intake should be close to 300whp and run a 12.9 with good tires. then the trans will take a dump ;D i am not looking to spend more then $900 in the engine. $1200 after some tires

i nice basic set up would be a 3" down pipe, intake, tune (can tune or dyno) and a 3.6 pully

here are some pics of my old car. it was a GT (n/a car) i supercharged it put in a XP cam, headers, and a 3.4" pulley it had 9.2:1 compretion due to the GT short block instead of 8.5:1

the engine after the cam install and double row chain

cam i used

engine after it was put back in

and the dyno run of the old car
      top swap, 3.4 pulley, xp cam, stock manifolds, 3" DP, stock exhuast

Comment

there was a 2 dr. one of these for sale locally a few days ago for $750, i wanted to buy it but the guy sold it like 3 days after it was posted on craigslist

id love to get one of these, or another S/C 3.8 car for a DD though

Comment

My DD is a Regal GS,Change the vacuum lines from the SC actuator to the fuel pressure regulator then to the I think MAP sensor .It made my car run much better they were all brittle.

Comment

yup that is an issue with a car this old. the rubber gets old. i am going to by-pass the boost actuater so i get full boost as soon as i push down the loud pedal ;D

when i get going i will do a bunch of "free" mods to the car first to see what they net me then cheap mods like mode brew intake and a home brew shift kit

Comment

you know you got me reconsidering a 3.8L powered spider.... get a Camaro motor, then put the internals from a supercharged gtp and a hairdryer or two.... hmmmmm
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

there the same block would be easier to just get a L67 long block and turbo that. 500+ hp easy

the fasted v6 F body is a single turbo 3800 running 8's

also keep in mind the GP is a fat pig of a car 3600lbs+ for a fully loaded 4 door

Comment

fast is awesome and all that - but not the point of the spider (will be byproduct, but efficiency is most important)... wonder which bolt pattern it has? (now this is lazy, not even googling).

did I mention the spider weights 2k wet?

Comment

Metric60 bolt pattern, same as the 2.8/3.1/3.4L V6's, also shared by the AMC/Dodge 2.5L I4 so you can get AX-15 manuals and A904 automatics for them.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

yup even the RWD 3800 uses the same bolt pattern

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Also, a great car. A sleeper to the unsuspecting. I really like that Bonneville SSEi with that engine back in the day, but I think it's much, much heavier.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

SSEI is ~3900lbs i think. but the SSEI has electric adjustable suspention and a few other nifty gadgets

i have got a rubber made trash can, some PVC pipe, a cone filter, and a dremal... time for automotive arts and crafts ;D

Comment

did a base line run at the local high schools dyno

200.3 WHP and 231.4 WTQ

with the ~18% power loss in the transaxle that's 236.354 Crank HP and 273.052 Crank TQ. not bad with normal variance the car is about where it should be for a stock car and a healthy one at that for having 162,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                              The local High School has a dyno?.... :o
                              the local high school has a dyno anyone can use?!!!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ???

Comment

Working...
                              X