No announcement yet.

New arrival at the BBM-stash, and an exception to my #1 rule... '73 Dodge Dart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much news to report on the Dart-front in relation to the Hemi-engine progress, other then another Hemi engine project has been found and hauled home. This time it's a 6.1L Hemi with a stock 425 hp...

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Hmmmmm - Rear-engined Dart. Interesting concept. Will you keep the front engine as well?

Dan

Comment

As of yet the front engine is the most reliable.
        The front one is still the old 318.
        While it's chugging along just fine on a daily basis, I can't help but wanting more horses under hood. ;)
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Interesting torsion bar story. Some of the early bars were failure-prone and would fail with a radial twist near one end. As a kid working in local repair shops, every shop had at least 1 broken bar as a pry bar and they worked GREAT. BTW - a Milford, MI company named Holden's made the heat treat furnaces for Chrysler and I went to HS with one of their sons.

Dan
          Dan,
          Speaking of broken bars... Here's my latest effort, from a week or two ago;

This is one of the bars I installed a year ago.
          Most likely a production defect.
          A new replacement bar from JustSuspension is on the way.

The bar went out with a bang, much like a muffler explosion.

This all caused the car to have a somewhat groundhugging appearance for a while...

Last edited by BigBlockMopar; December 20, 2014, 04:40 PM.
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Love pointed mopar bars, perfect size for the hood bolts we use! .. Hammer the holes in, run the bar thru, nut it down tight!
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 20, 2014, 06:50 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=BigBlockMopar;n991957]

Dan,
              Speaking of broken bars... Here's my latest effort, from a week or two ago;

Yep, that's THE failure. Used to be really common.

Dan

Comment

Sweet project, it seem the Netherlands has a lot more love for American Iron than the rest of the Eurozone
                Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

BBM is singlehandedly responsible for that and we're lucky enough to have him on our forum! Stewzer, I know you're kinda new but you want to search around on the site a bit and see BBM's Chrysler wagon - AMAZING!!!

But we also have a Finn with a nice Chevelle, a Brit in Spain with a Camaro, and have had others over the years. And they all have amazing English, at least when writing. I think they should have a European BS get-together - I'll volunteer as BS photographer if the site will pay my way.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; December 21, 2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                    As of yet the front engine is the most reliable.
                    The front one is still the old 318.
                    While it's chugging along just fine on a daily basis, I can't help but wanting more horses under hood. ;)

I can recommend a way for some more horses out of that 318 ;) You have personally seen my 318 powered '69 Dart.
                    ~Alain~
                    A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
                    "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      BBM is singlehandedly responsible for that and we're lucky enough to have him on our forum! Stewzer, I know you're kinda new but you want to search around on the site a bit and see BBM's Chrysler wagon - AMAZING!!!

But we also have a Finn with a nice Chevelle, a Brit in Spain with a Camaro, and have had others over the years. And they all have amazing English, at least when writing. I think they should have a European BS get-together - I'll volunteer as BS photographer if the site will pay my way.

Dan
                      I'm in Holland too and own a 318ci powered '69 Dart with twin turbo's and efi, a 327ci powered '69 Camaro, a 360ci '77 Dodge W200 with a single turbo and am currently working on putting a twin turbo 6.0 LS2 in a '67 Camaro.
                      ~Alain~
                      A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction

Comment

• Alain, if it was a fairly simple bolt-on job, do-able in a days work, I might consider it...
                        But imo a turbo doesn't add much power at low rpms, exactly where the engine needs it.
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

• Won't be do-able in a day, but when I did my truck, I bolted the whole stuff on in about 3 days. I mocked it all up on a block in the shed first.
                          The rpms depend on the size of your turbo's. Twins will spool much faster than a single because you have less rotating mass. With a higher than stock stall converter it also feels as if they spool up instantly. My A518 has a lockup function, so once I'm cruising I don't notice I have a loose converter.
                          ~Alain~

Comment

• Btw, I blow the tires off at 60mph, yet get around 16mpg while turning 1700rpm at 60mph on E-85.
                            ~Alain~

Comment

• I've been thinking about installing this little Raptor watercooled supercharger, but I'm afraid the constant drag of the belt won't help mileage much in town.
                              The supercharger is rated for max. 5 - 5.7L engines, so it would still need to be running a high rpm before it will make some boost.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

• No, a supercharger will definitely not help mileage around town.
                                ~Alain~

Comment

Working...
                                X