Love at First Sight SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love at First Sight SS

Ever see a Type of car as a kid or teen and just go wow over it's looks..
    I liked the 78-80 montys and when I saw my first SS I knew I'd want one..
    Way back in 87 when I lived in Randolph ,There was a Chevy dealer on N.Main street. and they had a white SS with maroon gut and I worked over my mom try'n to get her to co sign for that car.. she said no. and at 18k sticker I don't blame her..
    seeing Dale Sr every week end in his yellow and blue and then black one sealled it..
    it took to 1999 to get the stars to aline ,but it was worth the wait..
    as it is spotless and wasn't titled till 96. it sat on the dealers showroom ,

car as u can see is buried at the moment..
    it is a 86 SS stock down to the hoses and belts..
    the 200r4 needs some help and haven't desided on what to do with this yet..
    ls crate or the 355 I have sitting in corner that got zero time on it..
    better pic's as I move all the chevelle parts out of here and into basement
    this was sold out of the chevy dealership in newton,n.c

extra monty hood

side view of 5" cowl

front view

needs to be cut down some...

I liked those too. Also a dale fan at the time...

I found a 1984 SS in 95, trim rings, 14 inch wheels.. the real thing. I thought it was jsut a mellow monte, playing SS label games. (The HO label actually did something). I found it did not advance fast enough, and the 2bbl side stayed too lean creating a heat rise on the intake too much. A 600 holley, a friend built vacuum advance hei.. away it went. Very nice and casual. The car seemed very light with that extra "10to15hp" for "HO 305" (I think they played an underestimated/unwritten trick on this one). I did not expect it to do what it did.

I wrecked it, felt bad.Body bent around on the back. Bought another 1984.. made it bigger. My regret is trusting the chassis. I only have to say a 355 is freaking HUGE for that oem chassis. They aint no 60s chevelle or wherever else thicker gauge may be found.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I don't know Barry. They put BBC's in them all the time. The 350 in my '80 was easier to work on than the 231 that came out of it. The first ex's '88 SS ran pretty damn decent for a 305 smogger, all black, limo tent, no labels. I always thought it looked sinister as hell. Drug it's nose on everything though.

I have never gotten used to the offset steering wheel columns in these cars. It feels odd. Still, I keep my eyes open on occaision for a decent SS or LS or a 442. Some of the best freeway barges I've ever driven...
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I had a burgundy 85 SS for some years..i was really into them..i digged the exterior,but after a while i couldnt stand the dash and the handling..it felt too damn light in the rear..it had chopped springs though,and no posi.

This was the stance i was lookin for on mine..

Comment

Working...
        X