X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I popped the cover of the 40y/o gear oil

gave the cover some love while off

the track bar needed new bushings so.. I painted it

and everything back but not tight.. still need to replace drivers side brake line and the rubber line

it started to rain so that was it

this truck didn't have a front sway bar, but the 73-87 bars are a bolt in..
    the holes are in the lower a arms and the frame, you just have to remove one rivit in the frame for the crossmember right behind the core support and replace rivit with a bolt as the sway bar frame bracket uses this hole also..
    so bolted this in after burning out a few rivits

then did boring stuff
    refilled the rear end with gear oil and then moved to the tranny pan.. to get the pan off the crossmember has to move back, 8 bolts and 2 bolts at the mount and slide it back.. pulled pan it was very clean no junk on the floor, installed the new filter painted the pan and installed the gasket, the tranny mount was junk so new one , one bolt hole for the mount in tranny was striped so had to fix that, tapped to the next mertic size and called it good, as this tranny isn't stay'n no point of a helicoil..
    popped out rear seal and replaced it, the 3 u-joints and carrier bearing.. buttoned up all that and added 3.5 quarts of fluid..
    will top off when I start it up (needs gas)
    ran the feed and return to the blazer tank that will replace the in cab tank..
    and called it a day.. broke creeper, so that will get a grind and weld..

to do list
    source the fuel filler hose and vent
    run the fuel sender wire to cab
    ground the fuel sender
    clamp the fuel lines to the frame..
    install new brake shoes and pads
    finish wire'n gauge panel
    wire the headlight relays
    wire kill switch
    wire alarm
    finish sanding bottom of bed and por15 and reinstall..

Comment

GOOD VENDOR PRAISE AUTOMETER "John Leahy" <[email protected]
      The ole tyme gauge kit I had bought was missing the water temp sender, and I e mailed asking what part # I needed, he said the kit should've came with it and just sent it off..

John
      Tech/Service

Auto Meter Products
      413 W Elm St.
      Sycamore IL 60178
      1-866-248-6357

Comment

I've always had great luck with Autometer. I have totally screwed up liquid filled gauges, sent them in to have them refilled and they sent me new gauges .... didn't even have to pay shipping!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Very nice C10 project. Those are cool trucks. Cant help with the diff ID though. A friend of mine has a 68 long bed weve been fixing up, The cab is rusty though so weve got a lot of drip rail work to do...It makes a great daily driver.
          BKB
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by BKBridges View Post
            Very nice C10 project. Those are cool trucks. Cant help with the diff ID though. A friend of mine has a 68 long bed weve been fixing up, The cab is rusty though so weve got a lot of drip rail work to do...It makes a great daily driver.
            BKB
            THANKS,,
            JIM squrrel here already, well only minutes after posting, told me what the rear is..
            3.07 open diff

Comment

Yup, nice looking project...you going to be able to get back to it?
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                Yup, nice looking project...you going to be able to get back to it?
                hope to.. health will not let me at the moment.. hoping the test the next few weeks will help get to the bottom of problem... as I'm bored.. home stuck in bed.. and on meds that make me loopie.. don't like it..
                thanks for the nice words

Comment

felt well enough to play with truck..
                  changing out headlights for newer brighter lights, but not those blue, blind everyone lights..lol

had to make a few holes in the bucket for the halo and accent lighting..
                  after that, painted them..

then I got hit with the while I'm here,, so I desided to repaint the grill accents that are black.. but worn almost off..
                  taped them up..

then primed,,

then paint

now waiting for paint to dry..

Comment

wheels sandblasted and power coated...
                    might add yellow pin stripe to the rim lip to match the truck.
                    black chrome lug nuts..
                    the 92 up cop center caps.
                    4 are 8" 2 are 7"for spares.. or if the 8" are to wide in front...

Dad, had them done at his work,, THANKS DAD...

Comment

can't do much else so..
                      I did the numbers game..
                      depressed

well it doesn't look good

k=St. Catherines, Ontario (Engine)
                      (McKinnon Industries Canada)
                      07= july
                      02 =2nd
                      DHZ=1981 camaro 305 155hp Roch M4ME carb. f/b body

well.. can you say, "you're outta there..."

Comment

Well the pipe dreams of putting the big block in this has come to an end..
                        at the moment the funds just are not there to do that correctly..
                        so change in plans
                        g.m. crate 350 vortec #12530283
                        good for 330-350 hp with headers/intake/cam and rockers..
                        so this and the ramjet350 cam and 1.6 rockers.. and all the other little nickle and dime crap.
                        will cost 2500.oo ish.. and with the sale of my big by huge dart 345 heads and gta wheels.. = 50.oo out of pocket and about what is left after the furnace taking a dump.. and really a new roof is more important than the big block with power I'd never hook in a pick up on the street..(overkill anyone) sadly that makes me sound old and wise, must stop that..
                        so just waiting on answers on the rockers and cam.. and will be ordering this soon (before wife tries to talk me into spending that cash on something) and summits free shipping untill the end of the month..
                        if the engine in the truck wasn't a 305 I'd just run that.. but NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..
                        will video that running so I can get something for that..
                        only issue is no fuel pump boss on this engine so electric is it.. lucky me I have a holly blue and reg from years ago that was never used.. installed but never used.. and adding a return line.. but that cake..
                        burn outs by june 1st or I suck, (health willing )
                        June 1st came and went
                        Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 27, 2013, 06:07 AM.

Comment

One g.m. part #12530283 350 vortec 1919.95 from jegs free shipping

Even came with my fav. driver # 88

750 VAC. SEC HOLLEY that I got from spidy

carb taking a dip

intake

pulled balancer and degreased water pump/heads/block
                          and painted 3 lite coats of color and one clear.. waiting on paint to dry.
                          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 27, 2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

So, a few weeks ago before I got sick again
                            I wanted to start on the engine but my el cheapo engine stand is a 3 wheeler 2 in back one in front. after almost dropping a big block twice on this I figured I should get a little better at welding, and why not test it on a stand that only have 500 lb's on it. gotta learn somehow

so I got some 2.5" 1/4 tube and some casters and went at it .

here are the valvecovers that should clear the roller rockers, SHOULD

I didn't want the engine black and I didn't think painting it yellow would be a good idea incase I deside to change the body color so I got some vht gray iron paint and tested it on the new waterpump to see if I liked the color/outcome

As you can see it's more a gray/green color, looks like something the Army would use..

the vortec 350 #12530283 and 82 have the mechanical fuel pump boss and it's drilled for the mounting bolts but not drilled for the pushrod.. May find a use for this

As I painted the block I only had 4 old plugs to put in the plug holes as I painted what a r.p.i.t.a. to paint one side ,unscrew plugs and install on other side every coat.. :grimace:

popped the pan and found a windage tray and all the rods with numbers on them in marker or wax pencil?? no idea what that's about

popped the timing cover and found the timing gear bolts with paint marks, my guess is for warranty work they mark them to know if anyones been in the engine. no other idea on why they have marks
                            the silver thing is the crank wheel for the crank sensor, if used

the vortec uses self alining rockers stamped steel or cast, not sure but they are out of here

this is the factory lifter spider that holds the lifter dogbones, only took photo so I remember to put it back with notch forward

This is the factory cam no idea what the blue ring or purple dot mean,maybe easier on the line to tell one cam from another

roller Camshaft-
                            ◾Specs-◾Intake Lift- .414"
                            ◾Exhaust Lift-.428"
                            ◾Intake Duration @.050"- 191
                            ◾Exhaust Duration @ .050-196
                            ◾Lobe Centerline-111

Here is it's replacement the g.m. ramjet crate cam

Camshaft: Hydraulic Roller Tappet
                            Cam Lift: .460” Intake / .481” exhaust
                            Cam Duration @ .050”: 196 deg. Intake / 206 deg. Exhaust
                            Lobe Separation: 109 Degree

I noticed the factory didn't use a locking plate on the timing bolts so I thought I'd use the one I had on hand for my big block , fail . the bolt pattern is different

Roller cams don't need this but I figure it's cheap insurance so I hit the lobes and bearings with some

Installing the new cam without a long bolt screwed in the timing gear bolt hole was a pain.

To use the ramjet cam and rockers(1.6 ) the push rod holes in head have to be a tad bigger than factory just for insurance, they say one drill size will do, but that was 29/64th and I need that for the q-jet throttle shaft bushing install so I went up 2 drill sizes, 2 down 14 more to go

the 96-2000 vortec 350 is good for 255hp stock
                            This engine consists of:
                            ◾1986-2000 style block, 1pc rear seal 4 bolt mains -(No mechanical Fuel Pump Provision)
                            ◾Nodular Iron Crankshaft
                            ◾Powdered Metal Connecting Rods
                            ◾Hypereutectic Pistons
                            ◾9.4:1 Compression Ratio
                            ◾Roller Camshaft-
                            ◾Specs-◾Intake Lift- .414"
                            ◾Exhaust Lift-.428"
                            ◾Intake Duration @.050"- 191
                            ◾Exhaust Duration @ .050-196
                            ◾Lobe Centerline-111

◾Vortec Cylinder Heads- 64cc,1.94" intake,1.50" exhaust

buy adding/changing out the cam,rockers a good intake, carb, recurved distributor and headers they are good for honest 330-350hp.
                            People have already done this and dyno'd them , So even at 330 ish not to shabby for under 2500.oo

Comment

Good to see the project moving forward for ya. Good for the soul
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                                Good to see the project moving forward for ya. Good for the soul
                                thanks, it's all that keeps me going when I get sick. but it takes my mind off my troubles for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X