Stage1Scott has a new Big Block!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage1Scott has a new Big Block!

watch this space for photos..................soon, now that I got the new board working!

Introducing Sam I Am, the Motoring Magic Shop Truck! For a year I have been using my MINI (and so has everyone else) for shop errands, customer pickup/delivery/occasional loaner, etc etc. and the past 3 months it has really started to wear on me. SO I started looking at all the junk I could find that was cheap, since in general the shop vehicle only has to travel a 5 or so mile radius and if a customer who “borrowed” it found it unpleasant, all the better. I looked at cavalier wagons, mitsubishi expos, 250k Honda accord wagons, etc etc. As the price of fuel here has escalated, all this junk got ever more expensive-the Expo, which was a 500.00 turd brought 1400 at a wholesale dealers auction! After said auction, where a good friend works, I looked around and said, (for the 12th week in a row) “well, what DIDN’T sell today?” and there sat my new shop truck! With gasoline nudging $5 a gallon here, no one in their right mind wants a big block pickup, but I’ve never been in my right mind so we started the PITA process of procuring this tank from the dealer who brought it in to auction, where it got absolutely not one bid. Interesting how, when it is unsellable, the dealer who took it in trade, likely for nothing, wants someone-anyone-to take it off their hands but as soon as you show interest, it is the most valuable pos they have in their inventory!

Anyway, it is, by both VIN and door label a 2000 Chevy regular cab 2500 pickup, 8600 GVW, although it does NOT have the new for 2000 bodystyle-if it was a Silverado, I guess it would, but since it is a cheapo work truck, it retains the bodylines/lights/structure of the 1990-1998 trucks. A 454 Vortec/4l80e/dana 60 is the powertrain, and it has 90,000 miles on it. Came with brand new tires, new air filter, new serpentine belt, clean oil, recent shocks and the appearance of someone caring for it all its life. The registration discovery above the visor proved this out, one owner since new, not first sold or registered until 2002, same owner up till this past month. Passed Ca. Smog test with the tech stating it was “really clean!”

The only options are A/C, tilt/cruise, complete gauge package including tachometer, and a factory am/fm/cassette. Rubber floor covering, cloth bench seat. Heavy duty hitch/wiring/trailer brake controller, Bedliner and a nice aluminum diamond plate tool box on the bed, and I even got the key to the tool box!

The body has some door dings that pdr will fix, the lenses on the head and tail lamps are cloudy, the grille is cracked in the right upper corner, and I already replaced the broken inner right door handle/lock assy, but overall it is exceptional for its age and mileage. Someone already rebuilt the hinges on the drivers door, and possibly the trans as well, but the right rear axle seal has coated the brake shoes and the gauges seem a little wonky-oil pressure bounces around and the fuel gauge would have you believe this thing is making gas as it is driven-started out with 3/8 of a tank this morning and now it has 3/4! [COLOR=#3e3e3e][FONT=Tahoma]

The factory radio has 4 speakers, and will undoubtedly get replacement speakers, although I am not sure I will need to upgrade the radio-at least not until it dies. The cheapo steering wheel is coming apart on the top of the rim and will get a leather replacement asap, and interestingly, this truck has NO airbag system installed whatsoever. I am in the airbag repair business, and as far as I knew everything had to have 2 by 1998, but there it is-never had them. An aftermarket power door lock setup with keypads will be a must, I am way too spoiled from pushing a button as I approach my vehicles to put up with inserting a key into the handle for long. Might source carpet and 40/20/40 seat from a 00-03 Silverado as well as aluminum wheels from same, and if I get really ambitious a power window install but that is last on the list. This truck is smooth, runs and shifts nice, rides a bit stiff but is way more than I expected for 3k. This thread will show the improvements as they happen and I will undoubtedly need all the Bangshifter help I can get, as I haven’t owned a pickup of any kind in 25 years, but so far I really dig this one!
    Last edited by stage1scott; April 20, 2011, 09:09 PM.
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

big block, that's an interesting name for what you post as your avatar.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

pictures worth a thousand words, right? here's 5 thousand!

Comment

Brings me back to the days I worked at the Pontiac/GMC dealer from 2000-2002. Nice score for a short or heavy haul vehicle.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nice score - just a second thought on the pw/pdl - if you buy two white, loaded doors - you'll probably be dollars ahead. The basic wiring is already in the truck, so it'd be almost plug and play.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

not all the time. i think 2000 was when GM stopped putting the harnesses for every option in vehicles even if they where a base. i know my 2001 GP did not have any extra wiring harnesses for the options it did not have but my 99 GP did
            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Nice looking truck....well bought!!! (yes, I know, I've been watching too many B-J episodes)
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Thats a lot of truck for 3 grand..great score.

Comment

Good job! My '98 Dakota has bags so it's interesting that this guy doesn't. Must have fallen thru a crack in the law - maybe because of it's GVW? Should make a great trailer hauler.

Dan

Comment

8600 gvw puts this truck out of the passenger vehicle category - so that's why you don't have air bags. I don't recall when they became mandatory for over 8500 vehicles.

Great score!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Good job! My '98 Dakota has bags so it's interesting that this guy doesn't. Must have fallen thru a crack in the law - maybe because of it's GVW? Should make a great trailer hauler.

Dan
                      As I recall, in 98 was when all pass cars had to have 2, but by MY 2000 I would have thought even a heavy pickup should have a drivers bag-and me being in the business, boy was I surprised when it didn't even have an airbag light in the cluster!

Comment

Improvements begin-wheels and more wheels--the peeling crappy stg wheel has been changed to a leather factory wheel from ebay-the no airbag wheelcolumn made this interesting...either an aftermarket, easy but kinda pricey --- and I like the factory leather wheels. Managed to score a wheel from a 94 silverado one ton the owner had replaced with a/m immediately and kept this one new and nice all those years for me. 79.95!! fixed the rearbrake issues, and added a set of factory aluminum wheels-starting to look like my truck now.

crappy old wheel

nice factory leather wheel

these bad boys were done-stops much better now-my 30 yo factory tools even still fit!! I was destined to own this thing!

looks much better with nice wheels

Comment

Nice truck.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

WHERE IS THE PIC'S OF THE BIG BLOCK

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                              WHERE IS THE PIC'S OF THE BIG BLOCK
                              why, I didn't think anyone cared-or you just don't believe me, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X