Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stineys sandrail - humble beginnings and constant improvements. July 1988 to present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stineys sandrail - humble beginnings and constant improvements. July 1988 to present

I thought I'd share some pictures my wife recently unearthed from the old photo pile (she's making albums that have some kind of order to them )

Has probably been mentioned before, this was my Industrial Arts welding project during my Junior year in high school. Had absolutely no clue what I was doing, just wanted to build a sandrail, so I ordered a kit and dove in headfirst. I had been welding with my Gpa for a few years on little stuff, so I figured this would be a cool project and an easy A. I got the A, and this is what I brought home. Bringing it home was a little interesting. See the Wagoneer in the background? We dropped the tailgate, and a buddy sat in the back on a spare tire, and we popped the front end up in there and he held on to it while I drove the 3 miles home. He started yelling something at some point, I just told him to keep hanging on we were almost there!

The bottom pictures are of the unfortunate donor car. It was in very good shape, hardly any rust, but back then SuperBeetles were even less desireable than they are today.

This was in July of 1988. Wow, that seems like just yesterday and a long time ago, both at once.....

By the next summer I had acquired enough parts to actually have a roller, and eventually even a driver. Well, at least up and down my driveway, 1/4 mile at a time. Here the maiden voyage required handheld ignition connections and footbrakes - keen eyes will note the lack of a mastercylinder. And "starter" chain, for the lack of a starter.

Outta gas.....back to the shed!

I commandeered the old woodshed at my folks place. It was litterally the old woodshed, the floor was about 1' of pure sawdust. Gma remembered when the old beltdriven buzzsaw was setup inside and the belt run out the door to the tractors belt pulley. She said that's why the sawdust was so deep in there. Anyways, it was a tight squeeze, but after some cardboard it made a decent place to work. Sure beat working under the tree in the winter anyways! Back apart for some color.

Finally got some decent paint, and some decent wheels & tires! This was all during my senior year in high school; in between school, work, chasing girls, etc, its a wonder I made any progress at all... The Baja Bug was my DD, and was involved in some covert nighttime activities some of you may be familiar with? This all went on one house later that night. My buddys car is behind the Baja Bug, can anyone guess what it was?

These pictures are from about '92. Finally got it streetable. A friend bought one already built but with nasty paint and wiring, so it got blown apart and redone. Turned out pretty nice.

Finally built a decent engine for it too..... this little thing would do 32 mpg and still turn high 14's in the quarter at the strip. Still needed an good exhaust at this point, I found this one hanging on a wall of someones shop. The stinger/muffler broke off on the way to the dragstrip that day, I eventually added a pair of downturned glasspacks from a rotted dual cannon system that came with my Baja Bug.

The bottom picture is from a Push Drag Race during an all VW event put on by Bill Rathburn, this would have been about '96 I think. We won the dush drag race a couple of years running. The asphalt was so hot that day that a couple of the guys lost their shoes to the sticky surface, and the others were too worn out to refuse a ride back to the finish line. Left sticky black marks all over my paint too! 3 of those guys eventually had rails of their own too, this stuff is addictive.

Notice that they ran the clocks for the 1/8 mile during the push drags? You can see the loosing team walking back, someone finally took pity on them and went after them with that truck.. the clock don't lie, we SMOKED 'em!

That's all the pictures I have scanned for today. Later!
    Last edited by STINEY; April 29, 2011, 10:58 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

That rocks! Post those pics in your garage!!!

Comment

pretty cool, pretty cool
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Big bucket o' win
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Awesome pictures! The car behind the baja bug looks like a chevy beretta!

Comment

So awesome! 32mpg and 14's sounds pretty damn good to me.

Do you have any more pics of your orange Baja-Bug?

p.s. I like the keg gas tank in your buddy's rail.

Comment

Nice build and history! Looks like you've had a ton of fun with it for a long time.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Very cool! Keep the old pictures coming, awesome to see history of a car build from old pic's.
                Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

My buddys car is behind the Baja Bug, can anyone guess what it was?
                  The Beretta or the X1/9?

Comment

Finally built a decent engine for it too..... this little thing would do 32 mpg and still turn high 14's in the quarter at the strip.
                    awesome.and liking the project.

mid 20s mpg is...really trucking for a little engine.
                    great thread..
                    you seem to be similar age group, high school late 80s.
                    I have been tinkering with the small ea series japanese boxer, I know not to post here. If it goes racer, I may ask for votes to do similar thread. the only non-ricer to leave japan.
                    2011 is actually the first year for the 14 I have had one going to step up beyond.. coincidentally gas at outrageous price.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Not only do I have more pictures of the Baja Bug - - - -I still HAVE the Baja Bug.

I kept hearing the old dudes say "I never should have sold my first car, etc.." so I figured I could stand to live without the small change it would have brought me. It currently lurks in a remote corner of my barn, waiting.

Yeah, the car beside the bug is a Beretta, was my buddys moms' car, she bought it new in '87 I think. She traded in a Monza with an anemic 4-banger, I think she got rid of it before we could plot on putting a small block in it. I actually meant the white car behind the bug, you can only see a bit of the front bumper....any guesses? Its not an X1/9.

My Dad-in-law has a fuel tank just like that on his buggy, only he polished it. We actually found the tank in a tractor junkyard, mounted on the remains of some small tractor that had a Mazda engine/trans swapped into it. Weird but true. I had to buy the tank, the fellow only wanted $5 for it, what the heck.
                      Last edited by STINEY; May 2, 2011, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

....any guesses? Its not an X1/9.

Fiero, the plastic fantastic
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Kewpie doll coming your way. Fiero 2M4 with the awe inspiring iron duke and a 5 speed. My 1600cc bug would run right with it all the way up to 60, then I ran out of air.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            Not only do I have more pictures of the Baja Bug - - - -I still HAVE the Baja Bug.

I kept hearing the old dudes say "I never should have sold my first car, etc.." so I figured I could stand to live without the small change it would have brought me. It currently lurks in a remote corner of my barn, waiting.

Yeah, the car beside the bug is a Beretta, was my buddys moms' car, she bought it new in '87 I think. She traded in a Monza with an anemic 4-banger, I think she got rid of it before we could plot on putting a small block in it. I actually meant the white car behind the bug, you can only see a bit of the front bumper....any guesses? Its not an X1/9.

My Dad-in-law has a fuel tank just like that on his buggy, only he polished it. We actually found the tank in a tractor junkyard, mounted on the remains of some small tractor that had a Mazda engine/trans swapped into it. Weird but true. I had to buy the tank, the fellow only wanted $5 for it, what the heck.
                            Awesome! You had, and STILL have, a wicked fleet of Veedubs. My pops had a '66 1200 when I was a kiddo - I'm looking forward to the day when I can get a Bug, Ghia or rail.

VW's have gotten to be crazy expensive in my neck of the woods, can't touch a clean car for under $4000. I think you made a wise decision in many respects to keep your Baja Bug.

Neat story about the tank. It kinda looked like a keg to me but you've confirmed its tractor origins. This is a good thing because I was about to blame you for the rat rod keg gas tank fad

Comment

It is indeed a Keg, but I found it in the most unlikely place. How many tractors out there have a keg gas tank on them?

Comment

Working...
                              X