Hey...look what I found burried in my garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey...look what I found burried in my garage

My wife's 69 Grande. It has a a M code 351W which means it's a 4V carb. She got it about 10 years ago. It ran and hopefully still does. The last time it saw the light of day was about 6 years ago when I put new garage doors in. It's time to get it running!

It has about 65,000 original miles, FMX trans and 9" rear axle. Body is fairly solid but does need some work

Having had a house fire about 4 years ago along with my accountant house burn down because his car caught fire while in his garage, I have NO desire to try and start it in my garage. When the car was originally parked, it had brakes. Now the pedal goes to the floor. I could not push the car out. I felt like the brakes were on. I tried to drag it out with my work truck with a chain but due to space limitations I could only pull it out a few feet....blocking the garage door from closing. I could not push it out by myself. Soooo I pushed it back in with my truck. Time to fix the brakes. Rock Auto to the rescue. New shoes, spring kit, wheel cylinders long with a master cylinder, $94 to the house. I bought front brakes a while ago. My friend who owns a garage cut my rear drums for me.

Interior need a really good cleaning!

The last time the car was on the road....wow, 25 years ago! Plans? Well, for now to get it running and driving. I'd love to ditch the 14" wheels with wire spoke wheel covers with a set of Magnum 500s. Make the car a fun to drive with some suspension work, like relocat the UCA, bigger front sway bar and good set of shocks. At some poit I want to get rid of the 2 piece drive shaft. It doesn't have a center support or U joint but rather 2 tubes joined by rubber to absorb vibration. I'm sure the rubber is pretty well dried out by now. A 1 piece steel shaft is planned. Maybe I'll stick in the C4 sitting in my garage down the road to replace the FMX.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Master cylinder and wheel cylinders always die from sitting. I just fixed those on my boss's '56 Fairlane.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

nice wifes wants a 68.. but I'm sure a 66-69 would do.
      starting a car in garage is fine, they make things that are red in color, look like nos bottles with a trigger and a hose, that are said to put out fire..
      might want to get a few..
      they are cheap one biggie for the garage, one mid sized for the house and one small for in the car(s)

Comment

... I'd love to ditch the 14" wheels with wire spoke wheel covers... Make the car fun to drive...get rid of the 2 piece drive shaft...replace the FMX.
        make it sleeperific, keep the tiny rims, tires and hubcaps, put 4.88s and an aod in it

Comment

Neat car, I like those and you never see them around,keep all the chrome on it too.

Comment

A guy up the road from me is asking $14k for a green 69 grande with a 302 and vinyl top - paint looks nice, mostly original through out - not surprisingly - he hasnt' found a buyer yet.

These make great cruisers since they had all the options -Does it have the original radio? is it am, am/fm or 8 track?

My 69 mach1 was supposed to come with an am/fm, they're getting hard to find.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

why can't I find cool stuff like that in my garage?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Cool. My dream car is a 69 Mach 1, but I could go a long way with a 69 notch like yours. Blacked out hood, wide tires all around, 4speed and buckets...
                1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                  nice wifes wants a 68.. but I'm sure a 66-69 would do.
                  starting a car in garage is fine, they make things that are red in color, look like nos bottles with a trigger and a hose, that are said to put out fire..
                  might want to get a few..
                  they are cheap one biggie for the garage, one mid sized for the house and one small for in the car(s)
                  Got ya covered. I've had an extinquisher in my garage for many years along with one in my basement. That's a great point! The one in the garage is about 7' from the front of the Mustang.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
                    Cool. My dream car is a 69 Mach 1, but I could go a long way with a 69 notch like yours. Blacked out hood, wide tires all around, 4speed and buckets...
                    That's what she's like as well. But don't have the money for one. A couple of years before she bought this, we saw a 69 fastback at the Ford Carlisle show. It was a black on black, 302, C4 that had about 6,000 in pristine shape. IIRC it was something like $10K....should have bought it!
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      A guy up the road from me is asking $14k for a green 69 grande with a 302 and vinyl top - paint looks nice, mostly original through out - not surprisingly - he hasnt' found a buyer yet.

These make great cruisers since they had all the options -Does it have the original radio? is it am, am/fm or 8 track?

My 69 mach1 was supposed to come with an am/fm, they're getting hard to find.
                      The car is pretty much intact. Carb has it's tag, everything is all there. Like a time capsule. Yeah, it has the AM 8 track....groovy. That's what we want to do with it. Make it a nice cruiser. Originally I was thinking about ripping off the vinyl roof but it's kinda growing on me, I think it breaks up the lines a bit and would fit the part of a cruiser as well.

The guy wanted $5K for it. We offered $3500 and stuck to it.
                      Last edited by Huskinhano; June 16, 2011, 01:02 PM.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                        Originally I was thinking about ripping off the vinyl roof but it's kinda growing on me, I think it breaks up the lines a bit and would fit the part of a cruiser as well.

The guy wanted $5K for it. We offered $3500 and stuck to it.
                        so what you're saying is that as you get older wrinkly, dry, parchment-like coverings grow on you (and your cars)
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                          so what you're saying is that as you get older wrinkly, dry, parchment-like coverings grow on you (and your cars)

LOL, something like that. Typically I loathe vinyl roofs but this one I can see....maybe.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Came across this one while I was cruising craigslist today:

or how about this one...

Last edited by 65longroof; June 21, 2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 65longroof View Post

I'll take the second one!
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X