No announcement yet.

CTS Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I realize that you are being facetious and are well aware that as voltage drops on a pump its delivery of volume at the desired pressure plummets.

um, k...
    I'm still learning

Comment

• could a fuel tank be called "pretty" in this case I think the term fits - that tank is really nice looking!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        I realize that you are being facetious and are well aware that as voltage drops on a pump its delivery of volume at the desired pressure plummets.

um, k...
        You've confused me Bob - the motor doesn't need 1000 lph, (which is the volume the pump is capable of) it needs somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 lph at 43 psi. The issue with too much fuel is it puts heat into the system; and it's terribly noisy. Both problems would be resolved by dropping the voltage to the pump and running it at half speed - which would still be far more volume than the motor needs; but would avoid the issues of heat and noise. Again, why I didn't buy the "right" pump was the deal on this tank is pretty amazing.

There's that orange car that's sitting next to it that will need a similar tank and the full volume, so a worst case scenario doesn't really exist.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 14, 2011, 08:36 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• can the smaller pump be swapped into the new tank for hte spyder - and shelved for the Buick when it goes through it's next metamorphysis?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Anything can be done, but I really doubt I'll change it for a couple reasons.
            1) seriously, it'd cost more to buy a fuel pump (A380 - 175), bracket (100), tank (300), sender (50), fittings (50 - including fill), filter (50), and baffle (probably in cost of tank, but 150 if not). Add to that cost, would be time and effort to modify a tank. This tank cost less than 800.
            2) and this might be the more important part. I'm going to (at some point after the Buick build is done) pull the motor out of this car, put forged pistons in it and turn it up to 11. Expected HP with better turbos, larger injectors, and forged pistons is in the 1000 hp neighborhood - that neighborhood is already covered by this pump.

And also, running a pump at 50% makes it last lots, lots longer.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 14, 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Just get the pressure and volume curves for the pump at the lower voltage to make certain that it will work. Its not linear.
              I'm still learning

Comment

• good point, I've already done so - but for those following along - what Bob said is right.

Comment

• doesn't aeromotive have a fuel pump voltage controller box..

Comment

• You mean like this?

Comment

• LOL, I should have known that you had it covered.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

• Yeah, sometimes it sure looks like I know what I'm doing.... however, truthfully, I didn't know about the aeromotive one until Mark mentioned it - but my past dealing with electric motors suggested that it could be done... also, I think I read somewhere it was possible so call it an educated guess followed by a bit of luck

Comment

• Christmas Presents to Yourself

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Christmas presents (to myself) arrived

Holy crap! You must have made a good impression on Santa. That's a sweet looking bit of kit.
                          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• So question - if I put the intercoolers behind those nicely placed holes, then exhaust the air to the back of the front brakes, will I kill two birds with one stone or cause other problems?

so I was supposed to pick up some nice seats today.... alas, I must have an odd definition of the words "one hole" and "other seat is perfect" ah well, they'll make good mockup seats and when I blow more holes in them while welding - I won't care.... at least they were cheap after I asked about the seller's definition of those words

Comment

• 1st job today - lose the stinkbug stance and yes, I reversed the wheels so they'd clear the disk brake mounts.

2nd - upgrade to granada brakes

CPP brakes were good, but the brake caliper bracket needed a bit of clearancing to fit

so that's done

and got the lower radiator mount done

I also got a bit of work done on the steering.... now to find wheels so I can build a the fender flares.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 18, 2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• money , money , money !

Comment

Working...
                                X