Checked out a truck from craigslist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checked out a truck from craigslist.

Saw an ad on craigslist Friday morning: 84 C10 with a bunch of new stuff including A/C compressor, starter, exhaust, fuel tanks, and the standard tune-up parts. Claimed to be solid and nearly rust free with a nice bench seat. -no pics

I called the guy with a couple questions and had to listen to his sales pitch, but at least found out it is a long bed (like I want).
    Called him back an hour later (was going to skip work to check it out and perhaps buy it) but he didn't answer his phone. Tried again Friday afternoon, still no answer and no call back - I figured it sold.
    He calls me Saturday evening, apologizing for not checking his voicemail, wondering when I can come Sunday morning.

I couldn't get in touch with my friend with my trailer key, so I went to look at the truck today around noon without my trailer... just because I have to at least go check this truck out; it's got to be junk if it didn't sell the first day. The short version of my trailer is that it's at a friend's house (on acreage) 20 minutes the other direction and he has my key to it (free storage, so he gets to use it when he needs it, so he has my key).

The truck turned out to be just what it was advertised as... but before I offered him a penny, he went from 1700 to 1500 to 1200. I offered him 1000, and he said yes.

The A/C compressor was cycling every couple seconds, so he said he'd take it to the shop tomorrow where the work was done to have it checked under warranty... yes, this is even after I got the title and gave him the money. Cool, huh?

It needs paint and body work (dings and minor dents and lots of primer) a driver's side window, and a few other things... but I think I got a pretty good deal. I'll post pics when I get it home.

Nice.....Looking forward to pics.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I intend on picking up the truck tomorrow evening, whether the guy has taken it to the shop or not... so... Why would the compressor cycle on and off every couple seconds? Too much 134a? Bad high or low pressure switch?

Comment

not enough refrigerant.....as in, most of it leaked out.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

yup the pressure is dropping to much wile it runs

now it may nto have leaked out but when the compressor was replaced it could not have been charged all the way unlikely but with it being recently switched out i would check there first
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Post 1975 trucks are being given away around here. The market completely fell out on them. Not sure why. I guess the only people interested in buying a truck now need them for work. No one is using them as daily drivers anymore.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

there's always the generation of trucks that hit their low point, the 80-87 are there - strangely, up here the 74-79 are selling pretty well ... 10 years from now, it'll be the 97- that will be the unloved ones

but waiting for pictures.... any rust?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm pretty sure that one of these days, my 50s trucks are gonna be worth something. Some day.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that one of these days, my 50s trucks are gonna be worth something. Some day.
                  they are already - but there's so much collectors stuff out there, there's little increase in value.... and one of those signs of the apocalypse is when the 64-66 trucks become collector trucks
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I thought we already hit the apocalypse, when my wife's Dart started to be worth something.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Sorry, no pics yet... but I have it home. The rust that I have found is negligible (a little on the floors that was beneath the rubber mat). It seems very solid. Of course, the guy painted the whole thing with some baby blue Ace Hardware oil based rust stop stuff "to protect it until he could get it painted". I'll know for sure when I start stripping it.

He isn't a gearhead ... told me he thinks it might have a bad valve, and that the shop that was doing the work on it was trying to sell him on a thousand dollar repair job. I think it is losing a lobe on the cam. It's a goodwrench replacement 305, so I'm not very concerned about it. If I can throw a cam in it and drive it a while, cool. If I have to get a 350 block and put my 400 crank in it, so be it.

Today, before I could get over there to pick it up, he was true to his word and took it to the shop that did the work on it to check the a/c ... all they did was recharged it (which I had told him I could do) and charged him $56. He didn't even ask me to pay him back for that... I think he's just glad to be rid of it. He's that scared of a motor problem.

btw, it's got a granny low 4 speed.

Maybe I'll have time to mess with it this weekend, and start my photo album. Y'all will get a kick out of some of the things he did (or had done) to it.
                      Last edited by yellomalibu; July 25, 2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I discovered today it has the G80 locking differential... better than an open rearend I guess.

I also went to the junkyard today and bought a driver's window glass ($45) to replace the one that came in a million pieces.
                        Installing that window sucked. Maybe it's easier if you just took the old one out... but since I didn't take it out, installing it was like doing one of those brain teaser puzzles that you swear are impossible until you finally figure out the trick.

Comment

I'm that way about anything inside a door - about my least favorite work on a car, just sucks.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

went thru that on the door on kid's 87 suburban recently. We have the manual for it, but even then it seemed impossible. Finally discovered that the channel had moved about half an inch relative to the glass, which really screwed things up. Whacked it back in place, and it went together ok. Still, they're a heck of a lot harder to do than say, a 59 truck.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Pulled it around front and gave it a bath yesterday, then messed with it a little. I pulled the plugs to inspect them, and only a few had a hint of brown among the black oily look. Number 8 didn't even look like it had been firing. They are Autolite 25's. After looking at the plugs, I started it up and brought it up to about 3000rpm in neutral and held it there for a few minutes... I think the truck has done a lot of sitting and idling, because after doing that it felt like it was running on all 8 cylinders. Maybe it doesn't have a flat lobe on the cam after all.
                              I'll try a new set of hotter plugs, and check out the coil. Can an ignition module cause weak spark, or does it either work or not work?

Here are some pics.

I have more pics, but I did them wrong. Thanks for complicating it more that it used to be Flickr!
                              Last edited by yellomalibu; July 31, 2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X