No announcement yet.

67 Nova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe if you have one of those cheapo laser levels, duct tape it to a piece of plywood and then duct tape that to the wheel and see where the beam shows, either straight or angled.

I'm kind of anal, that would bother me, I'd have to get it fixed, meaning put on a frame machine and checked.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Any new updates?
      Glenn

Comment

This thread was last posted before I joined up... Thus I just read the problem above..
        If the kink is in the hump area.. May make a difference.. Measure from the front spring eye to the rear shackle mount on the frame and compare.. The kink side probably arches the spring a bit..

Considering how much time has gone by.. You probably already got it on the road..

Comment

Apples and oranges between leaf spring suspension and coil spring suspension - but - When I tried to add pre-load to my rear end with the factory style 4 link (by shortening one of the uppers), I later found that I had moved one side of the rear end 5/16" further forward than the other side. I didn't feel it while driving or racing with a posi, but when I put a spool in the car, it drove like a fork lift with sloppy steering. Very scary. That day at the track is what made me find my error. It also made me realize, in hindsight, that it was probably why I wore out an Auburn very quickly, and wore out the clutches in my Moroso Brute Strength (eaton style) posi so quickly... the differential was constantly working/ slipping.

I suggest getting that rear end squared up in the car.

Comment

This has taken me way longer than I planned. But a move last June wasn't planned. We moved abruptly last June due to my wifes job about an hour from our old house. I already worked in the town we moved to. And our old house had some renovations that needed to be completed in order to sell it, all of the renovations still aren't complete.

Basically the car sat all summer with some progress but not much. I put the motor together and had issues with it and after trying to start it. Upon tear down I realized the block needs some serious machining. After some serious grooves got cut ion the cylinder walls. I took it out and bought a junkyard 350 and put my heads, intake and cam in it. When I tore into the junkyard motor I found that it had some aftermarket pistons in it much to my surprise. Got it running this past weekend and it sounds good. If anyone can tell me how to copy and paste on a mac I can post up a video.

The silver lining to the move is I upgraded from a 21x21 garage to a 50x40 barn. The barn needs some serious work but is definitely workable.

I am calling the motor my junkyard mashup. I kept from painting the motor out of fear it would grenade on me during cam break-in.

Excuse the rats nest looking engine bay. It will be cleaned up soon.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks
            Last edited by cal67ss396; January 7, 2013, 07:47 PM. Reason: added video

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396 View Post
              This has taken me way longer than I planned. But a move last June wasn't planned. We moved abruptly last June due to my wifes job about an hour from our old house. I already worked in the town we moved to. And our old house had some renovations that needed to be completed in order to sell it, all of the renovations still aren't complete.

Basically the car sat all summer with some progress but not much. I put the motor together and had issues with it and after trying to start it. Upon tear down I realized the block needs some serious machining. After some serious grooves got cut ion the cylinder walls. I took it out and bought a junkyard 350 and put my heads, intake and cam in it. When I tore into the junkyard motor I found that it had some aftermarket pistons in it much to my surprise. Got it running this past weekend and it sounds good. If anyone can tell me how to copy and paste on a mac I can post up a video.

The silver lining to the move is I upgraded from a 21x21 garage to a 50x40 barn. The barn needs some serious work but is definitely workable.

I am calling the motor my junkyard mashup. I kept from painting the motor out of fear it would grenade on me during cam break-in.

Excuse the rats nest looking engine bay. It will be cleaned up soon.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks
              Thanks for the update. I have been following along and am glad everything is going your way. Looking forward to a car (and barn) update, as these projects progress.

Best of Luck,
              DTB
              DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Looking at your pics of your frame problem, I would suggest getting the caelr on a frame rack. The new ones use lasers and can straighten out a car in a couple of days. Otherwise, you may be chasing problems trying to get the car to go straight down the track.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My dad use to drag race it and he didn't mention anything having trouble. I am going to see what happens then sort it out if I have any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396 View Post
                    My dad use to drag race it and he didn't mention anything having trouble. I am going to see what happens then sort it out if I have any trouble.
                    Maybe just a four wheel alignment. The shop will look at you strange for asking. I found out my rear diff was bent that way on a 73 Impala.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      Maybe just a four wheel alignment. The shop will look at you strange for asking. I found out my rear diff was bent that way on a 73 Impala.

That's what I was thinking. I'd want a new alignment for the car anyway; it's worth some ET and mph, as well as safer ... the good shops can lift the front end up an inch or two to simulate how the car will ride under power, and give you as much caster as possible rather than what the factory specs were.

Comment

Working...
                      X