No announcement yet.

1965 Chevelle overdue project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone wanted to see the Malibu Wagon, here are some pics along with parts that I'm using to build a 355.
    Should be a straight forward engine, 010 2-bolt block, Dart 200cc blem heads, Scat rods w/older L2304 pistons and complete Crane valvetrain componets. The rearend is Dana 44 from a gbody out of Mexico. I'm currently shopping for a crank, just gotta get the go ahead from the boss.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another Arizona Bang Shifter! Win!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm sure your daughter would be happy to know you and the kids are happy and enjoying your therapy. Get the kids involved early & often, dangling rides/burnouts for completed homework!!
        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Well it has been a while since the last posting of the two cars, went on vacation and took the wife and kids to the Oregon coast(totally awesome). Been working on cleaning the garage to get to everything, It took a while, the stupid weather here finally cool enough to do some work(a 120 degree garage is no fun!!!) So anyway one thing that I wanted to get started on was the Dana 44 for the wagon, as it turns out this rearend is pretty rare. Can't find hardly any info about it, just bits and pieces. I want to share pics and info that I have found with Bangshift readers.
          Attached Files

Comment

Got the thing up in stands and the pinion seal started puking like bad! Pulley the axles, brakes and cover, this thing has Mopar ends on it with Chevy brakes!
            Attached Files

Comment

It does have all the correct G-body brackets and spring seats. The axles are pretty big 30 spline, with 4 3/4 bolt pattern.
              Attached Files

Comment

Found the Spicer numbers on the ring and pinion, the BOM or the bill of materials number is 30060, looked up and that is a good number. Then found 43 14 at the end, a 3.07 gear not what I want. Maybe if I was going to have a 555+ ci BBC with a big ass turbo and a cooler. Sure make donations!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Found this casting numbers from the mold on the inside of the housing, and was able to find the BOM number for the housing: 751455- 3 and also a date 5-12-80. And all this time I thought that these were put in Mexico G-bodys for only one year. I found a build sheet that a guy posted from his 1986 Monte SS that had a 350ci, a 4-speed and a Dana 44.
                  Attached Files

Comment

From carefully studying the build sheet I was able to find the RPO code for a G-body Dana 44. If you look in the 3rd colume in the middle of the build sheet you will see code: TV9 EJE TRASERO. If you look up above on the build sheet to the left top you see box 11 EJE. Box 11 on english build sheets is for the axle code, as everything else between the two build sheets is correct just a different language.The word eje in spainsh is axis and the word trasero is backend or rear. So in my best guess is that the RPO for this rearend is TV9.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by pizzandoughnuts; November 8, 2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I think what I am going to do is put a 3.92 gear with a spool and call it good for now. I am going to have to farm this thing out cause I found yesterday the my trucks trans in going out so that's first. I hope that this info was helpful, I learned a lot from it.

Comment

interesting rear diff. Now you have me thinking about using a Dana 44 in my Skylark - it's a good rear axle, and parts are uber-available because of the Jeep guys.... I'm changing the gear ratio (or maybe rear diff) because mine is a 12 bolt 3.73 and the turbo 455 that's going in front of it does not need that much gear.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pizzandoughnuts View Post
                          I think what I am going to do is put a 3.92 gear with a spool and call it good for now. I am going to have to farm this thing out cause I found yesterday the my trucks trans in going out so that's first. I hope that this info was helpful, I learned a lot from it.
                          Automotive detective work is always fascinating! Great Job and cool build!
                          Last edited by stangbanger; November 8, 2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X