Barn find 69 Jensen FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn find 69 Jensen FF

Been a busy few weeks but we finally decided to pull the FF out of the toy box and start figuring out what it needs... The FF is one of 320 full time four wheel drive Jensens built between 67 and 71. It uses the Ferguson system developed by Harry Ferguson of Massy Ferguson tractor fame. The FFs were one of the most expensive cars produced during that time frame. They are RHD only. We winched the FF into the toy box from the barn 3 years ago and this is the first time in 25 years that its been worked on. We are going to go through the mechanicals, which appear to be in great condition, first, then do the cosmetics. Underneath you will find some very different components than one would normally find in a car. Bruce
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BKBridges; July 10, 2014, 03:04 PM.
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Big block Mopar power amd AWD, you gotta love it! That is a rare beastie for sure.

Keep us updated!

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

so.bad.ass....

I cant wait to see more...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

hmmm... english car with english wiring... I think I see its problem - you're missing the genuine Lucas bottled wiring smoke. Maybe if you add a battery it'll replenish?

cool car
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's a sportscar with a tractor underneath!

Whoa- that's different for sure....

ah - Lucas - the prince of darkness...
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Now that's different. I remember them. Good thing most of the drivetrain is good ol' USA.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The motor and trans are all Mopar: High compression 383 with a 727 torqueflite. Everything else is British. Salisbury powerlok diffs, Ferguson Engineering magic chain driven transfer case. GKN alloy wheels (from a later Interceptor). The diff guts can be replaced with Dana 44 stuff if necc (was in my other Jensen Int). Were not going to build this car up, just get it into stock running condiditon and reliable. Parts are not very available for any of the Ferguson stuff, so we are crossing our fingers re: transfer case "goodness". The machine shop is my backup. The fluid looked good. The Armstrong coil over shocks in the front (4 total) are also made from unobtainium, so some careful evaluation and resto work will need to be done there...(anyone ever rebuild a non-rebuildable monotube shock themselves? Not I)...It sure is nice having a friends "real" shop to work in. No one mentioned the cars in the background...
              BKB
              Attached Files
              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

quad front coil springs? that's diffrent. and the under hood room looks liek you could put another engine in front of the 383 lol
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                  quad front coil springs? that's diffrent. and the under hood room looks liek you could put another engine in front of the 383 lol
                  my thoughts exactly.... or another couple of cylinders.

Either I didn't scroll, or I didn't see any other cars?

Did it come with a 383? I thought they were using 440's... still way cool! I had a soft spot for Jensens when I was a kid. Ahh, who am I kidding. I still do.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Neato! This car is all new to me.

Considering the AWD system, how much does one of these things weigh in at?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N. View Post
                      Neato! This car is all new to me.

Considering the AWD system, how much does one of these things weigh in at?
                      The FF weighs about 3900 lbs. A Grand Touring car. The FF AWD system was originally implemented in a fiberglass bodied car (CV8), but the design was deemed ugly by the press (they look like a 50s Viper IMO) so they had Vignale design a new body made out of steel and welded it to the orig CV8 Chassis... Overkill. The cars came with high comp 383s until 71, then they fitted the 440 HP, and about 400 440 six packs to the FFs replacement, the SP, but gone was the cool Ferguson Formula AWD. They lost money on every FF they sold (320) supposedly. check out www.thejensenff.com for the full story. More pics by the weekend.
                      BKB
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BKBridges; August 16, 2011, 09:13 AM. Reason: errant smily
                      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Neato - there sure are a lot of surprises in the automotive world - learn something new every day. The niche manufacturers had some really cool ideas - and the nuts, freedom, and $$ to actually get the into production - that would be nearly impossible today with all the safety and epa regs. Very few are still doing it.

Is there anyway to replace the OEM shocks with something more available? air bags?
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

an interceptor has always been a dream car of mine that burnout pic does not help lol
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                            an interceptor has always been a dream car of mine that burnout pic does not help lol
                            Then you're gonna love this from Top Gear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifByHpz1oMQ

Comment

I had no idea they made a 4x4 version. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BITCHIN'!!!!!

That thing needs to hit Hot Rod Power Tour next year.
                              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
                              X