X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing A/C on my 67 Fairlane.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
      I'll be in touch. Will need a hand pulling the engine and trans in the autumn. You afloat or working ashore?
      Working ashore, but I'll be afloat for a test next week. I travel to Cali at the end of October, and then again in early December. Aside from that, a monthly trip to DC. Give me a shout when you're ready to pull.
      Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

Progress: Steady but SLOW

Have been working away at the disassembly as time permits. Removed the rear window to get a better assessment of the rust damage to the channel, it's not so bad. Also removed the Bondo from the driver quarter panel to see the full extent of a previous effort at repair. And the front fenders, hood, grill, etc are off.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mlcraven; February 16, 2012, 07:23 PM.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

A Curse on Vinyl Tops

Full extent of the damage.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Blue Oval Nov 14 Update

More than a month since I last posted anything, funny how other aspects of life get in the way of that we enjoy most. At any rate, having been busy with diversions too numerous to mention, I've managed to get a few things done: (1) chip off God-knows-how-many-pounds of undercoating, (2) pull the engine and drivetrain (apologies to HillbillySailor2, who I promised to call for this evolution and didn't), (3) freshen the rear end and (4) install a new set of leaf springs.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Cheap Drip Tray

The grandaughter's pool turned out to be just the ticket...although a shame they don't come in black.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mongo say, air squeezer GOOD!

The pool works pretty well, too - but that kinda takes it out of use for the Grand, doesn't it?

Dan

Comment

I've seen those kitty pools used for lots of things - this is yet another of thier uses!

Lots of great progress - well done!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sweet project! Any plans yet as far as motor/ trans go?

Comment

Originally posted by stangbanger View Post
                      Sweet project! Any plans yet as far as motor/ trans go?
                      Based on a couple of other Ford projects I'm following here on BS, I'm tempted to go for a Survival Motorsports stroker kit, a set of Edelbrock FE heads and a torquey cam. But then I'll want a 2x4 intake set-up, aluminum water pump, mini-starter, headers and on and on. That's closing in on $10K real easy.

The beer-belly budget supports rattle cans of blue paint.
                      Last edited by mlcraven; March 23, 2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

GT Cylinder Heads and FE Exhaust Manifolds, Grrrr

Pulled the exhaust manifolds off tonight, a task that wasn't as much of a PITA as I thought -- although managed to twist the heads off two bolts. Based on what I read in Barry Rabotnick's excellent FE book, the 14-bolt per side exhaust manifold pattern (4 bolts each on end-cylinders 1, 4, 5 and 8; 3 bolts on the remainder) means they're 390 GT heads, which excited me until I double-checked the paragraph where he mentions that fact.

Not so fast! Apparently that's the only difference with GT heads -- in all other respects they're nothing special at all. Bummer.

As for the exhaust manifolds, they look like real chokers.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by mlcraven; January 7, 2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

let me be the first to say this "turbos are the best fix for poor flowing heads" then let me say the next (all while snickering)

why don't you just (snickering some more) built a set of turbo headers and solve all your hp woes. Maybe throw in a MS2 system for good measure. in all seriousness, the cost difference between turbos, and a mig welder vs. a stroker kit really isn't that great.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            let me be the first to say this "turbos are the best fix for poor flowing heads" then let me say the next (all while snickering)

why don't you just (snickering some more) built a set of turbo headers and solve all your hp woes. Maybe throw in a MS2 system for good measure. in all seriousness, the cost difference between turbos, and a mig welder vs. a stroker kit really isn't that great.
                            I'm afeared of spinning power adders (except stoker cranks).
                            Last edited by mlcraven; February 16, 2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

That Passenger side manifold looks nasty!! Didn't HRM buy some sort of cobbled together FE powered intermediate a few years ago and it had a much better set of factory manifolds?
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                                I'm equally afeared of spinning power adders (except stoker cranks).
                                a good fear to have, because they're like crack cast in metal.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X