Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Blue Oval

Without a project since coming to Hampton Roads (El Camino was stored in a barn prior to our departure from Canada a year ago), I've been at my wit's end. Not sleeping, daydreaming at work, irritable at home, constantly visiting used car lots, the usual signs of serious pathology taking hold. But all that is in the past; last weekend I picked myself up a nice little project car outside Petersburg VA. It hasn't been on the road for six years and isn't much to look at close up, but is (mostly) solid, isn't missing any pieces and has potential. Suitably motivated by the posts of Stage1Scott, Cantvalve 16 and others I'm making plans.

Couldn't be happier!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mlcraven; March 23, 2012, 05:12 PM.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Gotta love them Mercs. Plans??

Comment

Voice inside my head says a straight up restoration, but don't have a good feel for parts availability. In terms of the soft bits, trim, emblems, etc, there seems to be a lot more for Fords today than 15 years ago, but mostly for Fairlanes and not Cyclone specific. Lots of internet searching ahead.

Regardless, I've always wanted something that would be period correct with a set of Torq Thrusts. And only yesterday found out that Survival Motorsports has a 445 FE stroker kit for 390s. I'm thinking lots of torque and a streetable gear is probably the way to go.

First step is to get the interior out and have a look at what nastiness might be under the carpet. On the hoist things looked solid from underneath.

Comment

Cool! Good to know that my build was at least semi inspirational. A period correct Cyclone is a keeper for sure. Solid Day 2 resto would be loads of fun. Some original Torque Thrusts would be just perfect. Looks solid and all there. Enjoy.

To your wife: I'm sorry for planting ideas Mrs. Mlcraven
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Comet Cyclone 390. Total badass. Some interesting options. Pwr windows, buckets, but no console, AC.

The one challenge of restoring a non cookie cutter car is finding parts.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That thing is Sexy....I like it...

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

"Gonna buy me a Muckrey
              Cruise up an down the road
              Up an down the road"........

Cool car and it'll be fun, for sure.

Dan

Comment

That IS nice! A set of 15 X 7 500's would look good too. Clean it up and drive it as is for a while.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Nice buy. It needs an AFX style hood for sure. And I like the Survival Motorsports option for the FE, their stuff is top notch. Imagine, if price were no issue, you could buy this from them : )

Click image for larger version

Name:	3942852823_c4a39d0742.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	857226Click image for larger version

Name:	AFX-10-10-08-JD-3-CHRR_081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	857225
                  Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                    That IS nice! A set of 15 X 7 500's would look good too. Clean it up and drive it as is for a while.
                    Good advice (to drive it as is) and I should have -- actually did roar up and down our street a few times yesterday. But I have this incredible itch to dig into it RFN so was out in the garage tonight.

Pics show what I found, and thus far not too bad at all. Last registered for the road in Virginia in May 05.
                    Attached Files

Comment

They must have hardly ever driven it in winter, I don't think I've ever seen one not from the west or southwest that didn't have holes in the trunk, lower quarters and/or floor. Just call you Mr. Lucky.

Comment

Those glass channels are a PITA but doable. Check Todd's GTO thread for "how to". Hope you have a MIG!

Dan

Comment

LOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

Barry R is THE man for the FE as I'm sure you know - get his book if you don't have it already - and check out fordfe.com and fepower.net.

the rust around the window channel and trim holes is a bummer - but much better than the typical holes you can put your fist through on midwestern cars.

LOOOVE IT!

Please resist the temptation to rip the thing down to a bare shell - fix the rust you find, then re assemble and drive - who cares if you have some epoxy primer spots or rattle can black spots covering your repairs. GET IT OUT AND DRIVE IT. Don't let it lanquish in project car jail - my '69 has been and will be there for far too long.
                          Last edited by milner351; August 23, 2011, 09:36 AM.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Seeing that rust under the vinyl roof, I don't blame you in tearing it apart.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13 View Post
                              nice buy. It needs an afx style hood for sure. And i like the survival motorsports option for the fe, their stuff is top notch. Imagine, if price were no issue, you could buy this from them : )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4353[/ATTACH]
                              yeah, that one on the bottom!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X