No announcement yet.

1985 Monte carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got it back out after sitting for winter and drove it 60 miles last night. I got teh 2 8" rallys I needed.

Also am rebuilding a th350 from a 70c10 with 6" tailshaft. Good clutches and a shift kit. stock converter for now. Im putting headers on at the same time. So now to my muffler debate....

ignore price. Flowmaster 10's pointed out in from oof rear wheels? Flowmaster 40's? turbo mufflers?

I like the sound of the single chambers, and have a 400sbc to build, but still little 305 atm. Is it bad to sound faster than you are?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

yes, but a couple of turbos make good mufflers.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Go with full tailpipes you'll be glad you did . Turn downs just make it too noisy of a ride and turn outs in front of the rear tires just look wrong . I have 2 1/2" Magnaflows and they sound awesome .

Comment

I think an x-pipe will quieten it down some. I've not heard a lot of turbo mufflers

Comment

I'm not a fan of turbo mufflers because they rust out and tend to get louder with age.

I like the front of wheel dumps, however, that makes the pipe where it crosses under the frame the lowest point on the vehicle so you'll be constantly hitting it going into places with ramps (curb cuts that are tapered).

10s are great for drag racing, but probably won't save you from a noise ticket. Also, a consideration - the shorter the exhaust, the more likely you'll crack a valve with cold air coming back into the motor

40s sound great, but so also the dynomax, magnaflow and other similar brands.

Why go to the expense and hassle of a cross-over on a 305?
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 7, 2012, 07:58 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

less expensive to do an H-pipe. I would go full tubes too, the side dumps always remind me of the hillbilly hot rods form back home...alright for trucks but cars...meh, not so much...plus in the summer the exhaust comes up into the passenger compartment...Toss some cherry bombs on it...should sound good with headers, H pipe and full tubes.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                the side dumps always remind me of the hillbilly hot rods form back home...
                Im a hillbilly.

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                Why go to the expense and hassle of a cross-over on a 305?
                Because It going to get a 400sbc, everything getting bolted on is in plan for it.

Im doing the exhaust myself, 3 to 2.5" s-bends into x-pipe into muffler and them already pointed outward would be real easy.

Car sits during winter and isnt everyday driver during summer. I'm supposed to be getting a good posi (non-govloc) and 3.73s, c-clip elimanators shortly.

Im gonna go listen to a buddys car with turbo mufflers sometime this week.

Comment

the reason I am suggesting waiting - unless you're certain your headers/heads/decking/motor mounts/transmission mounts - motor is going to be the same, you may be doing it twice (and it's always wider.... dunno why that is, it just is). Thus putting a cross pipe now in becomes really good practice for when you have to do it again because something changed - do ask me how I know this

I suppose the brightside to this is: you get really good at changing exhaust gaskets and collector gaskets.

With the 305, a cross pipe isn't necessary.... it'll still be slower than most geriatric bicyclists
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 7, 2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I've swapped out probably 15 sbc's. never had to change the exhaust. If anything is different, should just need a little modifying.

I have to take the exhaust off to change trans, reason for changing transmission is so it will hold the 400sbc.

Is building the tranny, rearend to not break and exhaust to flow free before dropping in a big motor really wrong? Its backwards from how most people do it. But I think its right.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                      I've swapped out probably 15 sbc's. never had to change the exhaust. If anything is different, should just need a little modifying.

I have to take the exhaust off to change trans, reason for changing transmission is so it will hold the 400sbc.

Is building the tranny, rearend to not break and exhaust to flow free before dropping in a big motor really wrong? Its backwards from how most people do it. But I think its right.
                      Wrong? no. However, in my experience, most people like replacing their quarter panels after each break and subsequent upgrade (break an axle, replace a quarter panel; blow a transmission, replace both quarter panels)

Comment

Exactly why I'm trying to do this one right. Pullapart time saturday. Looking for f41 rear sway bar and possibly jounce bars, and getting three transmissions, gonna be a long day.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post

the beauty of this hobby is there really isn't a Wrong if it's what you want to do. I went to a hell of a lot of effort to get dual 2.25's on a single exhaust G body x-member, with the cool at the time Sonic Turbos. I loved being able to slip around when it was appropriate to do so and it was still a little LOUD at WOT with small diameter long tubes. Hooker has some decent turbos, I'm thinking a set of flowbastid 40's and an H pipe may be too 5.0'ish to me. Maybe with a 4-7 cam swap, it would sound just like one.

I see nothing wrong with whatever way you want to go, and still think a couple of T04's on the 305 would be a hoot. But, people frequently tell me I'm wrong.
                          Last edited by Beagle; March 7, 2012, 08:04 PM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Torque Tech out of Valdosta GA makes a nice set of 3-in dia behind-the-wheel tail pipes that were a cinch to install on the El Camino and put all the fumes and noise nicely behind. I used Hedman shorties, 2.5-in pipes with an H-pipe to Flowmaster 40s, and then the Torque Tech 3-in tailpipes. Sprung for G-Force trans crossmember with the double exhaust hump, it plus the shorties makes for loads of ground clearance. Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to mufflers -- I'm pleased with the 40s but have this crazy idea that a set of Cherry Bomb glass packs would be a lot of fun.
                            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              . people frequently tell me I'm wrong.
                              ... you make it too easy Beags

Comment

I broke the rear diff in the silverado, again... Just ordered a truetrac.

Daily driving the monte at the moment, I have 1 5/8" long tube headers, 3" to 2.5" s bends, mufflers, and a u-bend to make my exhaust with on the monte carlo. The th350 is all back together except the pump isn't back on, shift kit and valvebody need put in. Ill have to buy a converter. Have 8" rallys for the back now.

Comment

Working...
                                X