No announcement yet.

Dad's 1970 Challenger R/T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good progress.As for a 5spd alot of Mopar fauthful have been waiting on this this 5 spd.Jamie is having some teething problems with the prototype but he will get it figured out.Made in the USA and no crossmember,transmission tunnel mods.
    Passon Performance is the world leader in transmission technology for your Chrysler, Dodge, or Plymouth vehicle!

Comment

I have a question regarding stainless steel trim. First off, it doesn't seem like it would be something all that difficult to manufacture, and yet I see a lot of pieces for the Challenger are not being produced. Our delimna is that the car came with an SE back window, even though the car is not an SE. We also have a few other SE pieces, including the overhead console. The car is a real R/T car, though not an SE. We are not going to go with a vinyl top, though are contemplating still using the SE window. I have a coworker from my days working at Ford who filled in the gap and reused the SE window without the vinyl top. My one concern is body flex may cause stress cracks.

So, while we still try and figure out what direction we are going, whether to reuse the SE window or go with the larger original it would have had, I'd like to know our options. Are there any companies that make stainless trim for the back window of a 1970 Challenger? Should we find what we can find and send the trim to a restoration shop specializing in restoring trim? Or should we go with what we got, and re-install the SE window and fill in the gap? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side not, dad ordered up $2,200 worth of body parts. While we won't need the parts ordered for awhile, the 30% discount Yearone is offering until year's end was too good to let slide by.
      Motor City Muscle

Comment

Dad's parts collection continues to grow. While most of the stuff ordered has been minor stuff, the bill has totaled around $3K. Welcome to Mopars dad! He's got all new emblems, tail lights, tail light bezels, side markers front/rear, grill, headlight bezels, new deck lid, and a few other odds and ends I'm forgetting.

I think I'm going to try and make it down the thursday before Detroit's Autorama kicks off in February. I'd like to get the rest of the underside stripped and ready for Por-15. I have about 1/2 the underside down, from the rear seat back. Maybe we'll start disassembling the brakes/steering/front suspension, as those seem to be the next logical steps. I'll make sure to take my camera with.
        Motor City Muscle

Comment

Made some minor progress on my dad's car last week, though only in the form of further disassembly. You can see the work we did get done here: Dad's Challenger.

I also just got off the phone with Eric from Muscle Motors out of Lansing, MI. We are going to go with one of their 500 strokers, based upon a 400 block, so it will look like the 383 externally, that came in the car. With the larger bore and stroke, the engine should pack quite the punch, while remaining plenty streetable.

I hope to get my Camaro all finished up before summer, then get working on dad's car some more. With some luck, we'd like to have the body man get started on the car next winter, and hopefully be on the road by Summer 2013.
          Motor City Muscle

Comment

Well, against the grain, and against our previous decision, we will be going with the Reilly setup. I've talked to many people first hand who have went with it and love it. This car isn't going to be thrown around corners, it's going to be built to cruise, with perhaps a day at the drag strip a few times a year. The deciding factor was the condition of the stock k-member. It was literally trashed. I'm not sure what they did, but a few welds were broke, and another area looked like they used the kmember to pull the car our or something. So, I looked at my options, and nobody seems to make just a tubular k-member that stock components will bolt up to. So, that's the route we are heading.

The frame needs some repair work on the driver side as well, as the rust got the better of the inside of the rail. I'm shocked at how paper thin these mopar frame rails are on these unibodies. My Camaro subframe seems significanly thicker. But enough bagging on the car, I still think the cars are badass.

I will try and do a better job updating the progress, as I hope to have the car running/driving in 2013, and hopefully have my buddy finish the body work next winter. I'm taking on a two headed monster, as I plan to finish up the needed work on my Camaro as well this winter, and hopefully make it to the track in the coming year.

As for the 5 speed trans, I was holding out hope for the Passon, but seems their 5 speed still isn't to market. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Keisler regarding their RallyeSport 5 speed, and whether or not I could modify our car for it to fit, as it's a much slimmer model trans, without the 2-3 speed shifting problem. Stay tuned for future updates.
            Motor City Muscle

Comment

Working...
            X