Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Beags, let me say again that if you're "washing down two cylinders with Diesel" something's WAY out of whack. Our development mule used a separate injector in the exhaust stream just ahead of the DPF and that worked great and we had full control. We also drove the engine rich instead that that worked OK, too. I suppose Ford (and others) went that way to avoid the extra injector.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    So yours doesn't use DPF? BTW - I'm named on the patent (way down at the bottom in fine print) for the fuel method of regenerating the DPF. I know from extensive dyno work that if it's working properly the FE hit is 2 to 3% - if it's sucking up lots of fuel it isn't right. Dealers often pass it off as "that dame DPF" when really they don't have the knowhow to properly diagnose and fix it. I don't have specific info on the Ford system as to what's out of whack but SOMETHING is.

Dan
    I don't think I saw this post before. Hmmm. Notification is not what it used to be.

I used to like you Dan. lol. So washing down two cylinders with diesel to burn the crap off of the honey comb filter was your idea? Ford actually has a recalibration campaign for "Flames coming out of the exhaust" because they were dumping a little too much fuel down the pipe.
    Last edited by Beagle; December 7, 2016, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by JWS4621 View Post
    You will miss the simplicity of the 7.3. I looked for a long time before I bought mine. It is huge, smelly and hard to park but I like it.
    No kidding... P0231 = no crank. You're up against it without a scanner with this new junk. Swapped the backup light relay with the fuel pump relay and it's going again. The current high paying job has me looking at new stuff with a warranty. lol. I think I'm on borrowed time with the fuel pump (inline lift pump, not the bucks up take the cab off to replace one). I've got more tolerance for a work vehicle than I used to. I'm surprised I didn't drive it over to the dealership and trade keys. I'll let it have one f* up I guess. The problem with the 2016 (besides only having 860 foot pounds of torque) is in addition to the DPF, now they want you to fill up a tank with urine... errr... urea (DEF) all the time.

I don't pull a trailer that much. The new 2.7 twin turbo F150 is kind of a hoot and the one I have my eye on at the moment has 3.73's so it will pull 9000 pounds according to "them". I think they fudged the HP numbers on that truck. The short cab I drove felt like a mid 14 second truck, which borders on amusing. We'll see if I do that or fix the front end in the red truck one more time and sell the new one. We're having a tough time bonding.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    So yours doesn't use DPF? BTW - I'm named on the patent (way down at the bottom in fine print) for the fuel method of regenerating the DPF. I know from extensive dyno work that if it's working properly the FE hit is 2 to 3% - if it's sucking up lots of fuel it isn't right. Dealers often pass it off as "that dame DPF" when really they don't have the knowhow to properly diagnose and fix it. I don't have specific info on the Ford system as to what's out of whack but SOMETHING is.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I an surprised it's worse than the old one, I guess the extra power and less emissions use more fuel
    it's heavier, taller, has 3.73 instead of 3.55, and has a lot more emissions...The Diesel Particulate Filter uses extra fuel to burn out particles from the trash can sized particulate filter every 100-200 miles. Not good for #7 or #8 I'm finding out (not personally, just horror stories). They can be removed and tuned out but that opens a can of worms. I'm not real sure I'm not going to look for a bulletproofed 6.0, who knows.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I an surprised it's worse than the old one, I guess the extra power and less emissions use more fuel

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by JWS4621 View Post
    You will miss the simplicity of the 7.3. I looked for a long time before I bought mine. It is huge, smelly and hard to park but I like it.
    I miss the economy. I don't miss being bitched at about the stinky diesel. It never bothered me, but somebody who shall remain nameless turns the air on fresh and it's really not. If she'd leave the damn thing on recirculate, it wouldn't be a problem. lol.

I started the red one this morning for the helluvit and they registered a 5.6 magnitude earthquake here. They're blaming some spot in Oklahoma. Pfffft.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    nice truck, I'd go any route according to budget as well.

the 6.7 will always be expensive, they even invented new lifters. A lot of problems conquered.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I don't recall if the 6.4 requires the EGR cooler delete that the 6.0 mostly need to live longer? I admit to "signing off" the diesel train after the 7.3L... it's frightening to look under the hood of a 6.7 - there are coolers for the coolers. Unreal

Leave a comment:

• JWS4621
    replied

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    For those wondering......this article does justice to explaining the DPF saga.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    It's a 6.4 - the 6.7's still get too many $$$ for me to treat one the way I treat them. A friend at work has a 2015 and whoo boy, for a big fat stock truck, that thing moves pretty good. 440 hp / 860 ft-lbs stock pulled a loaded car trailer like it was idling. They give me hell for not buying a new one, but my next house won't cost as much as that truck. lol.

Come to think of it, Location X cost 3/4 of what that truck cost, and it came with 10 acres. lmao. I point these things out to them when they ask how I can afford to not work if I don't want to.

DPF... yeah, I watched the fuel economy drop like a rock going down the highway and thought bad things about that design. Since when is washing down the cylinders with fuel a good idea? Regen. Yikes.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 22, 2016, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Diesels are funny beasts - I've sold three now (IDI, 7.3 PSD OBS, and 7.3 PSD SD) every one sold in less than a week for my asking price which was above retail according to KBB / NADA.

Is the new one a 6.7?

If I loose my sanity - I will order a similar truck, 6.7, 4x2, towing package, with limited options beyond AC. Then, put it on air bags, and go for the dual purpose tow rig / standing mile machine. DPF, what's that? LOL

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    205k. Seems like anything in my price range was 200+ but that's not a real big deal on these trucks. I have been approached on the red truck a couple of times already, I think I can sell it as is for more than what I paid for it based on todays pricing. It's kind of weird... I kind of want to keep it though.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 21, 2016, 03:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Nice truck at a good price. How many miles?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X