No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understood Beags - for sure a 96-97 will be cheaper than 98-03 and I do like the looks of those trucks, and the wing windows!

correct Bob - '03 was a split year - 7.3 for the beginning, 6.0 for the rest of the year.

The early 6.0 had issues but were repaired, the later 6.0 were OK - but - they all need EGR delete to live a long happy life, and they're not as "overbuilt" as the 7.3 but they sure are quieter.

The 6.4 is another capable engine and quieter still - but has some EGR issues as I understand, don't hear much about those engines which is probably good -they were the last of the IH / Ford relationship that started with the old IDI NA 6.9 in 1984.
    (as I understand it Ford wanted the mighty inline cummins - but they couldn't agree to supply the volume Ford wanted)

The 6.7 is all Ford and a BEAST while being as quiet as any HD gasoline engine. I don't drive those trucks for fear of being hooked on the power and civility and the coil spring front end, improved turning radius, etc.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I'm sure I'll get a 6.7 if I'm still alive when they get down to the 3000-4000 dollar range. HAHAHAHAHA...

Nobody is gonna touch the 920 pound 7.3 psd in a first gen Monte Carlo? Look at how far back the engine package is in that car. I think it could swallow the mill and still handle okay. I haven't looked much, wonder where the sump is on a PSD. Hmmmm.

/edit - had to look. It's a rear sump... just a heavier 454 minus a few cubes.
      Last edited by Beagle; January 16, 2014, 03:23 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• dragweek was done and at a record high MPG I'd wager - with a duramax in an SN95 mustang - why not an IH in a chevy?

Comment

• I've got 2 PSD 7.3's and love both of them. One is a 95 crew cab 1 ton that's like a timex watch, and the other is a 02 crew 1 ton 4x4. Both are auto's but I'm lazy. I parted out an 03 6.0 and 6 speed 1 ton crew to build my 46 diamond T COE and sold that HIGH maintanance hussy engine. It will have a fresh 02 7.3 PSD and auto behind the cab. I wouldn't take for my PSD's and go back to gas for hauling. How about a Grand Prix for a swap like you talked about?
          Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

• <----- Not a fan of Monte Carlo's of any year.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Originally posted by poison gas View Post
              I've got 2 PSD 7.3's and love both of them. One is a 95 crew cab 1 ton that's like a timex watch, and the other is a 02 crew 1 ton 4x4. Both are auto's but I'm lazy. I parted out an 03 6.0 and 6 speed 1 ton crew to build my 46 diamond T COE and sold that HIGH maintanance hussy engine. It will have a fresh 02 7.3 PSD and auto behind the cab. I wouldn't take for my PSD's and go back to gas for hauling. How about a Grand Prix for a swap like you talked about?
              I knew we thought alike - couldn't agree more - I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing your diesel powered hauler!

Comment

• Originally posted by poison gas View Post
                I've got 2 PSD 7.3's and love both of them. One is a 95 crew cab 1 ton that's like a timex watch, and the other is a 02 crew 1 ton 4x4. Both are auto's but I'm lazy. I parted out an 03 6.0 and 6 speed 1 ton crew to build my 46 diamond T COE and sold that HIGH maintanance hussy engine. It will have a fresh 02 7.3 PSD and auto behind the cab. I wouldn't take for my PSD's and go back to gas for hauling. How about a Grand Prix for a swap like you talked about?
                GP, MC, Cutlass Supreme... all good candidates.

Comment

• Sounds like fun or anouther tennis ball! Get back to work on the mustangs! With good trailer breaks I bet PSD powerd car would make a pretty good tow vehicle.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• tennis ball. I won't do anything with it until I have another something to pull trailers with. Casper is about 2000 too high on his Cutlass. I'd like one with factory buckets.

I'm half-assed looking at wheels and tires this week and the newer Ford stuff is all over the place for pretty cheap. I'm wondering if I can use the rotors / axles from a newer truck on this one? It's about time for a brake job so it wouldn't bother me too much to change rotors and bearings at the same time.

99 up Rotors, will they fit the 97 and older F250's? Anybody know?

Comment

• Finally had some time to work on the truck. The manual glow plug conversion is in place, oil filter changed, vac solenoid for auto 4wd replaced..... but with all that productivity I still took two steps back, ripped trailer plug off in a snow bank, and the DR door handle decided it had enough... JOY.

I'll let you know how the manual glow plug project turns out - I should have a chance to test it in sub zero temps this week.

Comment

• Thanks John! I've been thinking about leaving the generator in the bed... lol. It starts fine if you plug it in for an hour or it is warmer than about 45*

I looked up the wheel bearings for the front, they are the same for a bazillion trucks and vans. I may buy a 2000 hub for grins and see if it will fit.

I kind of want 4.10's so depending on how this turns out I might just look at the 1999 up F250 rear.

Comment

• Remember the lug pattern is different 8x 140mm instead of 8x 6.5" or some such, and I think the SD leaf springs are longer.
                          Not sure about U joint compatibility.
                          Another flaw I found in the old truck, well two actually - it seems the hydroboost is leaking - there's a few red drips on the brake pedal pushrod, and the driver side valve cover breather is leaking - I think that's where the oil is going. I replaced the o-rings, and cleaned it - but maybe it just needs to be replaced?

Comment

• I haven't even really looked at mine - it's got a big ol vacuum pump that I've had to replace twice, the bearings died on the "lifetime" replacement with 2 miles of an O'reillys... talk about luck! Changed it in their parking lot but I was pissed about the new belt getting mangled. You'll know it's broke right after your power steering goes away. lol.

I looked at the two rotors and the newer rotor in 8x170mm, new style, the one I want so I can get later model wheels for cheap, is wider. Same diameter, same height but the rotor is wider:

1999 up to ?

Bolt Circle Diameter (In): 6.690 Inch

Bolt Circle Diameter (mm): 170mm
                            Number Of Bolt Holes: 8
                            Overall Diameter (In): 13.030 Inch
                            Center Hole Size (In): 2.890 Inch
                            Nominal Thickness (In): 1.496 Inch
                            Discard Thickness (In): 1.417 Inch
                            Overall Height (In): 5.650 Inch
                            Solid Or Vented: Vented

1997:

Bolt Circle Diameter (In): 6.500 Inch
                            Bolt Circle Diameter (mm): 165.1mm

Number Of Bolt Holes: 8
                            Overall Diameter (In): 13.030 Inch
                            Center Hole Size (In): 2.890 Inch
                            Nominal Thickness (In): 1.181 Inch
                            Discard Thickness (In): 1.102 Inch
                            Overall Height (In): 5.640 Inch
                            Solid Or Vented: Vented

I thought I might be able to just swap rotors and have the rear axles redrilled but it looks like it would take calipers too unless there is some huge difference in brake pad height between the two models. Oh well...

I had justified this as fulfilling part of another need. I want to put 7k axles with brakes on my trailer and the old wheels would fit... I about flattened the passenger car 235-75x15 tires with the tractor. Ooops. An E rated 235-85x16 wouldn't have the same issue I think.

I may check the caliper differences and see if it might work with new calipers but that's more work than I wanted to put in. Then again, I am not sure I couldn't put the pads on a belt sander and cut .160 off each side and get the clearance I need.
                            Last edited by Beagle; January 21, 2014, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• I would look into buying a 14k lb trailer and selling the one you have.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                                I would look into buying a 14k lb trailer and selling the one you have.
                                Yep, I have looked at them. Starting at 3500 and up versus 1000... I like this trailer, but I could use another 4-6 feet to get the tractor on their with the mower. If you pull it up far enough to hang the bucket over the toolbox on the trailer, the tongue weight goes out of control. I'm right on the limit of everything, it's probably time to stop f*ing around and get a dual rear wheel / gooseneck but it's money I don't want to spend.

Comment

Working...
                                X