No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother in law and I built my trailer and I'd never do it again - it's heavier, worse designed, and a general pain in the ass.

DO NOT use truck tires for a trailer, use trailer tires on a trailer, period, no exceptions - been there blew the tires, ripped off the fenders, etc

buy a used bigger trailer if that's what you need.

If I could sell or trade my trailer for something that worked better and was lighter, I'd do it - but I'd never be able to get more than half of what I put into it thanks to my BIL over buying and over building on my dime. (long story)

As far as the rear axle - stick with OBS stuff - sell the truck and buy a dually if that's what you want.... or find a totalled superduty and swap over both ends so your OBS has all SD axles wheels, brakes.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I'm half-assed looking for a stake bed extended cab. There are quite a few around here for sale in the new body and heaven forbid, I'm not ruling out a Dodge. I'm at that "take the next step" point and wondering if I shouldn't just rent for the few times I'll need something bigger than this beast.

I had to follow through on my threat to heat the block with a portable generator this morning. I don't have electricity at the lake. It was 30ish and yep, no start. Dahmet. 30 minutes with it plugged into my cheesy little generator and it fired right up. I felt kinda silly doing it that way, but whatever. lol. I wonder if an Onan from an RV would fit in the bedside space? haha.

Something I noticed is the fuel consumption is high when the engine is cold. When I plug in the heater here at the house, I leave it plugged in for a couple of hours, and it gets better economy. If it starts cold, it sucks fuel for about thirty minutes to an hour.. which is about how long it takes for the heater to really start working. Does anybody have any experience with the Ford fueling strategies?
      Last edited by Beagle; January 22, 2014, 10:40 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• it's not ford, it's physics.

I poured a couple quarts of full synthetic 5w40 valvoline blue diesel oil the other day in 10f or so temperatures and was astonished how thick the oil was - being synthetic and 5w, I was horrified - I would have expected 15w-40 dyno to pour like that at those temperatures, but this was synthetic.

Imagine 14 quarts of that at low temps- and then pumping it to more than 3000psi to actuate the HEIUI injectors.

Yup - takes a long time.

PLUG IT IN! ;-)

Comment

• Does diesel have cold fuel enrichment?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Russell - I don't know all the ins and outs of modern diesel calibration, but I know that there is alot of the calibration in a 7.3 powerstroke that is tied to the engine oil temperature. I have a feeling enrichment is part of that. The glow plugs stay on for quite a while after start up when oil temps are very low as well.

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised if it fueled up with low oil temps but it takes forever to get to temp. The glowplugs are shot in this truck as far as I can tell, but I'm rarely away from some form of electricity... it won't be long before it's always over 45 degrees here and I have the accursed daily appliance for travel. For the time being I'll just plug it in. I figured at .15/hr to run the heater, I could let it heat up for a couple of hours versus the 15mpg it gets for a half hour instead of 20 when it's warm and come out way ahead.

I found several extended cabs DRW trucks yesterday for less than 4 grand, a couple of XLT's (loaded) which I think I would hold out for. The rubber carpet work trucks are great but I kinda miss decent seating and I've gotten half decent at repairing busted window motors. On the other hand, after looking into the rear ends and having some other impure thoughts about bastardizing a 97 Light Duty F250 (roundy body style, not a SuperDuty) I'm back to thinking I'll just drive this one a while longer.

To hell with it, I may go get a job and buy one of those newfangled 6.7's. Yack.

Comment

• if the HD requirements pushing you to a dually / heavier trailer are temporary - see what renting something to do that work will cost.

if it's long lasting need - XLT SC dually is a good move - be ready to do a seat rebuild - just pull covers and foam put something like cheap paneling between foam and springs, and put it back together, oh and weld the lumbar cross bar back to the frame - chances are it's broken, and the seat will feel like new. worn out benches are really hard on your back!

Less than 4 grand for a mission capable rust free diesel pick up seems like a great deal to me, I'm assuming they all have north of 200k on the odo?

Comment

• The one I was most interested in was 191k ... barely broke in. lol.

Comment

• that's correct as long as the factory air box lid is still tight or replaced with aftermarket, the turbine blades look good, and there's no evidence of chips or propane.

I'm still pretty sure my engine was hurt because of aftermarket programming or propane. Never found evidence of propane but parts can be replaced, and it's hard to tell for sure if a piggy back chip was used in the PCM.... live and learn.

less than 4k if it runs, goes, stops, steers, and doesn't make a bunch of funny noises doing it - and has mostly rust free body panels... sounds like a hellofadeal.

Comment

• Apparently red beat to hell farm trucks attract police officers now - thanks outlaw street jackasses. Twice in a week "drivers and registration"... when my old POS El Camino started attracting attention like that, I parked it. I suppose I should find a newer body style, or an older one. The 17-34 year old body style does stick out a little around here. Last nights episode kinda wierded me out. "One of your two license plate lights is burned out, I wanted to see if it was stolen."

Stolen? Errrrr.... I wouldn't think it was a good target for theft. No Insurance is more likely... drunk landscaper maybe... but stolen? Ah well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        ... drunk landscaper LIKELY...
                        Fixed it for you. Around here all the drunk landscapers prefer red beat up pickups.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• profiling - it's not just for (fill in the blank) anymore.... I'm still trying to figure out my cold start issue - did you ever find yours or did you just put the big HPOP in and never look back?

I suspect a wonky oil temp or rail pressure sensor.

Comment

• It's a Ford, it's a well-known fact that criminals prefer Fords.

I can even illustrate.
                            two winters ago, we got called out on a 4x4 rescue for a truck that was stuck in the mountains. It was a Ford Superduty, and it was stolen. Yep folks, the criminals called 911 to get their truck pulled out.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Thats how the sheriffs and local popo find drunken drivers out here. They look for burned out plate lights, no mud flaps on lifted trucks (not SUV's or Jeeps...just TRUCKS...stupid rules in Az) They also like to pull you over to "test" tinted windows. This has all happened to me, on the same road late at night or early in the morning. Nothing more than looking for the smell of booze so they can tag you...otherwise they chat yo up, give you a fix it ticket and send you on your way.
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• I totally agree with the time of day thing - no matter what - you'd best have a good reason to be on the road in the wee hours of the night - probability says you've been partying - even if you haven't been.

Comment

Working...
                                X