No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not surprised... Tried to buy a battery for my 57 chevsedan delivery Took the old one in and said I wanted one just like that... Nooooooo! Too easy! 2door or 4? V8 or 6 (8 but came with 6) tilt wheel? (yes but none came in 57) and so on.. Walked out in disgust...

Comment

• Sounds like dealing with Walmart....
      Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
      1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
      1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

• who says I don't have a sense of humor. There were a bunch of sheets of plywood at the bay, and I liberated a couple of them to cover up all the crap I'm relocating. Some of the stuff was a little too tall for just a bed cover (windows, not a good idea to transport them horizontally) so I hacked this together. The holes in the sheets are handles, these get used to cover windows in hurricanes.

I was expecting about a 10% return on MPG. I average about 20 mpg or a little better and it goes about 75 miles on a quarter tank. It went over 90 per quarter tank on the way home, so looks like it was good for dang near 20%. I'll find out in a day or two, have another 300 miles more to go before I'll fill it up. The wind coming back was about 5mph head wind for about half of the trip and then 5mph tail wind for the last half of the trip. I've seen over 23 with a tail wind, so it's tough to say until I get a few tanks out of it.

It hangs over the end of the bed on purpose, about 5" or so. Ugly as hell!! I soooo wish I could take the kids to school just once in this thing but those days are gone. I really suck at cutting compound angles, which the sides definitely are. The truck is 60" at the top of the cab and 72" at the bottom. The angle part is a hatch, actually has hinges on it. It's so pathetically ugly I may leave it on there a while and see how many times I get pulled over. I'm half tempted to try to make a fiberglass plug out of it and build a real one, then just driving with a bag over my head. It definitely makes me laugh at how much of a dork I am.

Last edited by Beagle; December 3, 2014, 09:09 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Better MPG beats ugly's ass any day! ... I was gonna comment earlier today..like 12-13 hrs ago, but it has been a long day.. It looks like something I'd try ... I'm goingto B E D!

Comment

• Other than the blind spot I love it. I can not believe that one of the big truck cap seller's has not started making sloped back covers. This guy seems like he never got off the ground.

100% satisfaction guaranteed on every domain we sell. 30-day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee. Easy, fast and convenient shopping.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• I might go so far as to paint the thing but I kind of doubt it. There is a big sheet of clear plastic/poly something that used to be a carpet protector for a desk... 70's kind of stuff if you can remember back that far. Probably 1/4" thick plexiglass maybe, I'm not sure what it is, but if there had been more time I might have tried to use it for a window. I'm used to driving it with the water tank back there which completely blocks my view, the side mirrors are the camper / trailer kind that stick out in the breezed and not the aero kind - they work really good. The truck has less of a blind spot than the gf's Avalon.. but backing a long trailer with this on there will be a bitch. I'd probably prop up the hatch if I have to do that before this gets removed.

The lip over the back mimics what they are doing with modern truck tailgates - notice the same thing on the Aerolid? I never have done A-B-A testing but I'm sure that lip is worth something to help the air detach from the lid more quietly, maybe by helping bust the vacuum off the flat tailgate? I don't have anywhere near enough math or understanding of aero. Makes me regret being a hoodlum in my youth (kinda).
              Last edited by Beagle; December 4, 2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• That, my friend, is STYLING!! Could use some flames on the triangular piece behind the cab though.....

If backing a long trailer with this will be a bitch, what will backing a short one be?
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  That, my friend, is STYLING!! Could use some flames on the triangular piece behind the cab though.....

If backing a long trailer with this will be a bitch, what will backing a short one be?
                  It's pretty easy - just use the Escape.

I wonder what it would look like in desert camo colors? The paint on the hood and roof is completely fragged... and I love the smell of Krylon in the morning!
                  Last edited by Beagle; December 4, 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• So if someone is driving an Escape, does that mean they didn't?
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      So if someone is driving an Escape, does that mean they didn't?
                      it means they are invisible!

Comment

• following Huskinhano's lead, I put new wheel bearings on the ghettobilly cruiser. I hadn't given it much thought until he brought it up for his daily. Truck was wearing the insides and rode like the shocks were bad. Pretty bad pitting on a few of the rollers, tons of slop. I don't remember ever buying bearings that didn't come with races before, I guess they do that now. Bought the races and seals too and ground a couple thousandth's off the old races to use for drivers. Completely different truck for 60.00... Thanks Tom!

I don't expect economy to change unless it goes down because I'm definitely driving faster. lol.
                        Last edited by Beagle; February 20, 2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• You expect us to believe this wild post (about completing a task) without pictures?!!!!

Comment

• He can take pics of uncompleted stuff or no pics of completed stuff..

Comment

• you want a picture of the wheel on the truck? You caught me. I only did one side. Everything in half fashion!

Comment

• if the other side is working, why bother? ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X