Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Even Chuck Norris' truck runs away from those trucks!

Something like this?

would you pull in front of that truck? if that truck was 2 miles down the road and going 20 mph in a 60 - you'd wait, and follow at a respectful distance praying all the while that the driver doesn't look back at you.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• fixed the squeaky squeaky squeaky in reverse thing today... dried up and brinnelled to hell rear universal joint. I replaced both of them (1350's) on general principle. Not really worth a mention on a hotrod forum, but... the '97 F250 single cab long bed has a one piece Aluminum driveshaft. Of course I didn't measure it.
      Last edited by Beagle; October 13, 2015, 06:05 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Very interesting. Good to know, thanks.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• the a/c blower fan quit again, the front end needs a rebuild from the pitman arm out, the master cylinder is getting soft, and I'm low on spare time to do the glow plugs and other piddly stuff a 19 year old truck pretty much always needs... decided to leave this one at the lake in case I need it for towing a boat or moving the trailer. You don't get over 20 mph in the park so the steering problem is fixed, you don't spend much time there in the winter so the glow plug problem is fixed, and since you're outside all the time anyway, you don't worry about the a/c. The horn works, so the brakes are more or less taken care of..

Poor old truck, seems too young to be put out to pasture. I made the mistake of driving a couple of newer diesels and the HP/TQ difference is pretty huge. I'd call this one a huge win, one of the cheapest to keep things I've ever had. Thank you truck.

Comment

• So... In other words worth fixing...

Just read your Dodge thread... But I'll still say it.. Worth fixing...
            Probably not able to send it out to be done because of payments..
            Maybe have BBR and his boys fix it as learning how to fix that stuff and a deal all around?
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; August 19, 2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• it's still getting used, just in a different capacity.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss... except for that extra 110 hp and 210 ft-lbs. It has an auto, a/c, and cruise like the red one. Crank windows, vinyl everything. Rides like a donkey cart. I should pony up for a 4wd truck. I can't believe they ride better, but they do. Ahh well, that's not what I bought it for. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160820_095332.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1119688

I need to fix the cigarette lighter.
              Last edited by Beagle; August 20, 2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Nice truck at a good price. How many miles?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• 205k. Seems like anything in my price range was 200+ but that's not a real big deal on these trucks. I have been approached on the red truck a couple of times already, I think I can sell it as is for more than what I paid for it based on todays pricing. It's kind of weird... I kind of want to keep it though.
                  Last edited by Beagle; August 21, 2016, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• Diesels are funny beasts - I've sold three now (IDI, 7.3 PSD OBS, and 7.3 PSD SD) every one sold in less than a week for my asking price which was above retail according to KBB / NADA.

Is the new one a 6.7?

If I loose my sanity - I will order a similar truck, 6.7, 4x2, towing package, with limited options beyond AC. Then, put it on air bags, and go for the dual purpose tow rig / standing mile machine. DPF, what's that? LOL
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• It's a 6.4 - the 6.7's still get too many $$$ for me to treat one the way I treat them. A friend at work has a 2015 and whoo boy, for a big fat stock truck, that thing moves pretty good. 440 hp / 860 ft-lbs stock pulled a loaded car trailer like it was idling. They give me hell for not buying a new one, but my next house won't cost as much as that truck. lol.

Come to think of it, Location X cost 3/4 of what that truck cost, and it came with 10 acres. lmao. I point these things out to them when they ask how I can afford to not work if I don't want to.

DPF... yeah, I watched the fuel economy drop like a rock going down the highway and thought bad things about that design. Since when is washing down the cylinders with fuel a good idea? Regen. Yikes.
                      Last edited by Beagle; August 22, 2016, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• For those wondering......this article does justice to explaining the DPF saga.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• You will miss the simplicity of the 7.3. I looked for a long time before I bought mine. It is huge, smelly and hard to park but I like it.

Comment

• I don't recall if the 6.4 requires the EGR cooler delete that the 6.0 mostly need to live longer? I admit to "signing off" the diesel train after the 7.3L... it's frightening to look under the hood of a 6.7 - there are coolers for the coolers. Unreal
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• nice truck, I'd go any route according to budget as well.

the 6.7 will always be expensive, they even invented new lifters. A lot of problems conquered.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by JWS4621 View Post
                                You will miss the simplicity of the 7.3. I looked for a long time before I bought mine. It is huge, smelly and hard to park but I like it.
                                I miss the economy. I don't miss being bitched at about the stinky diesel. It never bothered me, but somebody who shall remain nameless turns the air on fresh and it's really not. If she'd leave the damn thing on recirculate, it wouldn't be a problem. lol.

I started the red one this morning for the helluvit and they registered a 5.6 magnitude earthquake here. They're blaming some spot in Oklahoma. Pfffft.

Comment

Working...
                                X