Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO NO NO!

back up the truck my friend.

there's a TON of connections in the valley of that engine that have to do with the fuel system.... when fuel leaks into the valley, there are two drain holes at the back of the valley that allow stuff to run down the back of the block and APPEAR like a rear main leak.

have no fear my friend - I would bet you a sixer of your favorite beverage you have a fuel leak - which explains your MPG loss - and your fluid leakage.

Once diesel mixes with muck - it looks and feels just like engine oil.

also - before you go throwing parts at this thing - go through with viton o-rings and make sure you have everything sealed up, and the fuel filter is fresh.

Talk to Rosewood diesel before you get into the injectors - he can set you up with a rebuild kit that comes with a manual that talks you through the process - and saves you a bunch o cash. about $800 if you want to send him your injectors for a stock rebuild. Beans diesel service is another good shop I've dealt with.

as for the pump - only up the pump if you're also going to up the injectors, and turbo, and programming.

I'd say you're better off getting the leak fixed, and doing a little program tweaking, does it still have the squished down pipe off the turbo? That would be the first high performance part I'd put in it. that and a baldwin pa2818 trash can air filter. The stock air filter box lid has been known to get loose thanks to folks stripping the threaded inserts in the base.

take a look at the turbo on the inlet side - if it looks as if it's seen some solid particles.... pull the turbo and replace it.
    Last edited by milner351; October 25, 2011, 11:37 AM.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

ah the joy of leaks. I know this story very, very, very well. look at the side of the pump (where the advance lever is) and see if it's dripping fuel there. Bright side - if it's still running, it's just a side seal. There is kind of a downside, it's costs about the same to replace the seals on the pump as it does to get the pump rebuilt. But, please, for the love of fiats, do not do what I did and buy a pump from anyone outside of your county. That way, if the pump goes bad you don't have someone who only speaks Spanish in Arizona telling your twice that they've never had that problem with their pumps (probably I misunderstood - I thought he meant "ever" he probably meant "today")... I'd have saved literally thousands buying the most expensive pump I found in the Seattle.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Buick - this is a powerstroke - the pump is just a pump - not the fuel control device.

The HPOP is gear driven directly off the cam gear. It takes low pressure fuel from the fuel filter housing - pressurizes it - and sends it through high pressure hoses to the fuel galleys in the cylinder heads. From there, the HEUI injectors meter the fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

Lots and Lots of O-rings - and no place for rubber - viton only, use the green o-rings from the "ac seal kit" if need be - but don't use any plain black rubber - they'll not last well at all.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          ... baldwin pa2818 trash can air filter. The stock air filter box lid has been known to get loose thanks to folks stripping the threaded inserts in the base.

take a look at the turbo on the inlet side - if it looks as if it's seen some solid particles.... pull the turbo and replace it.
          roger - I was thinking rear main until I saw what it took to replace one and then I thought... no way. I also figured on doing the HPOP o-rings but I'll look in the valley closer first. There really wasn't any fuel showing up there, but I wasn't micro-inspecting it.

I did some quick troubleshooting (HA! yah, googled it) and found the o-ring kits and some testimony for an Adrenaline pump from some folks where quite a few guys were seeing 10-20% mpg improvement on stock parts / tunes. Interesting ideas, but I'm just gonna seal it up and use it. I'm pretty sure the puddle was diesel because the oil hasn't changed and the atf hasn't changed which leaves coolant or fuel.. and it did confuse me a little being blackish, my oil looks like honey. I figured it wasn't crankcase oil. I was teasing about it not smelling like diesel - hell, everything smelled (Smelt?) like diesel.

The air-cleaner on it now is probably as big as Baldwin, PA. I can't remember it's name, but it's about the size of a 13 gallon bathroom trashcan, and it's new. Well, it was until my belt disentregrated courtesy of Mr. Vacuum pump spewing molten bearing lava and belt fragments throughout the engine compartment and out the fender wells ( sparks, that's why I stopped it the last time. Booo sparks.) It needs to be ducted for cold air, but frankly, the thing runs so cool I don't see ducting changing much except helping keep it clean. I wiped the dipstick with my finger when I checked it after driving 100 miles. The turbo sounds good, runs smooth, spools easy. There's no indication that it has ingested anything.

I was kidding about hot rodding it. The 1600.00 hot rod pumps broke me of that idea pronto before I even started looking at intercoolers or staged injectors or any of the other crap I'm supposed to have if I'm a cool and hip diesel owner. Lol. I just want to seal it up and tow some junk with it. It runs pretty good now.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

sweet!

Yea - my '97 had Beans tranny saver injectors, straight pipe exhaust, pa2818 intake, and a tune courtesy of a calibrator at work.

The first guy that drove it bought it for my asking price - that thing was "fast" for a 4x4 pickup.

I'm eventually going to put stainless magnaflow exhaust on the '01, and have the same guy at work put an improved calibration in it - but - with an automatic - I'm going to stay pretty conservative, MPG and durability are the goal.

Comment

I just pulled the trigger on a stealth pump ... 3-5 week backorder. Shiny! Yay. Backorder..Boo.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	SRP1RRTP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	858555

Meanwhile, I have o-rings on the way. I've been using the Lightning as a tow truck again and it's fine but the 13.5-14 mpg loaded isn't what I consider great. Sad thing is, by the time this stuff shows up, I'll have moved almost everything. I've got a 40' container that would be an interesting deal to move. It's tary weight is like 8700 pounds.

I think I have the seat deal figured out - I'm pulling the power seats out of a Lincoln LSC, might as well try them. They aren't any bigger than the Lightning's buckets (thicker) so I think they will fit okay. We'll see. Can't be worse than the factory torture rack... errr... bench. (Edit - I just thought about this, I can probably use the 2k Lightning's seats. They need to have all the smoke damage cleaned off or recovered, but I think they are savable.)

The downpipe is next, and I still need to call Hypermax and see if they can tell me which chip I have. I'm not putting it back in until I know. I don't want to be pulling a trailer with something that's going to skyrocket the EGT's.

I know ordering the bigger pump first is doing things backwards, but I don't think it will hurt anything. I have sent many many emails to Santa in hopes of 130cc tranny saver injectors...
              Last edited by Beagle; November 16, 2011, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Buick - this is a powerstroke - the pump is just a pump - not the fuel control device.

The HPOP is gear driven directly off the cam gear. It takes low pressure fuel from the fuel filter housing - pressurizes it - and sends it through high pressure hoses to the fuel galleys in the cylinder heads. From there, the HEUI injectors meter the fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

Lots and Lots of O-rings - and no place for rubber - viton only, use the green o-rings from the "ac seal kit" if need be - but don't use any plain black rubber - they'll not last well at all.
                I sit corrected.... did you know that Ford has a new option for their trucks? It's really a good idea, saves the owners and is quite nice....

it's a heated tailgate.

so you don't freeze your hands pushing your Ford.... tyvm folks, remember tip your bartenders and waitresses

Comment

Coming from the glutton working on an old mechanical diesel with how many injector pump swaps now? if we can't make fun of eachother who can we make fun of?

Beags - you're killing me with the pump - you guys and your shiney addiction - you'd have been better off..... ah well - it's shiny -
                  I'm quite certain with that pump, tranny savers, and a down pipe - you'll need the proper program to take advantage of all the stuff - then - you'll have a rocket ship!

I'll never forget the youg guy that bought my '97 - I'm guessing he was early 20's. He got out of the truck with a giant grin on his face. "that's the fastest full size 4x4 I've ever been in - SOLD"

That almost made up for the epic fail that was the diesel mercedes.

Comment

yes, but by golly, 4x times and it's fixed forever.... or is it 5x? 6?

Comment

I ended up backing out of the Stealth pump... it's too much oil and money for what I'm doing. I thought about an Adrenaline, and wound up ordering a Terminator Engineering modded 17* using a brand new Bosch core. Truck goes bland at full throttle, I'm hoping this fixes it. I've been thinking about the injectors if that doesn't get it off it's butt. This stuff gets stupid expensive fast - but if you're gonna go 1000.00 for injectors, might as well go to a 160cc? Santa ignored my letters for tranny savers.

All the stuff I've been reading from owners indicates I may be happy with it after the HPOP. Based on what I'm feeling in the truck and descriptions from other owners, the 200+k original pump may be weak. I am about to order the down pipe and wondering about a hydraulic porta power. I'm reading that it takes a bit of "modification" on the firewall. I guess I'll find out.

I wonder why there isn't a bigger oval pipe offering? Could I use a 5" oval pipe? It'd be an expensive test, but might be worth it.

Comment

I think you'd probably be happy with a rebuilt stock pump - but if an upgraded one isn't much more, go for it.

You don't have to spend $xxxx on injectors!
                        If you can be without your truck for a while - try Rosewoods injector rebuild kit - for about $300 you can rebuild your own injectors and if once you have them torn down you find machining issues - he will credit you the kit price when you send him your injectors for him to rebuild.

The down pipe firewall modification is no big deal - first you want to make sure your cab mounts aren't shot - now would be a good time to replace them while you're tearing into the downpipe job - if they're thinner than they should be - you'll need to move more metal to fit in the downpipe. Supposedly guys with body lifts don't need to do any mods to the firewall to fit the big down pipe.

When I did my 97 downpipe it was as simple as making two slits in the firewall hem flange and hammering it flat. I had the new down pipe in in one evening after work. A porta power may have made it easier - but I got it done with a long punch, long pry bar, and a hammer.

What axle ratio is in your truck? Think maybe the torque converter is getting lazy?

Comment

3.55's Limited Slip according to the tag. It seems to be fine everywhere but full throttle where it actually feels like it is slowing down? It's kinda wierd. It shifts pretty good and the converter seems to be doing it's thing okay. I'm guessing the trans may have been rebuilt but not sure. I don't drive it around floored so it's not all that noticeable.

I'll check into the Rosewood kit, this isn't a daily but I might like it to be pretty soon. It gets over 20 when it's not dripping it out the valley. lol.

I think I may have figured out why the oval pipe was never used, I can buy a 3" Diamond Eye pipe already built for less than 4" oval pipe bends. I'm wondering still though - what if you filled a 4" pipe with lead shot and flattened it out? It would end up about 4.75" x 3" I think? I might need to check my math on that but I think I did it right. That's a helluva lot more area than a 3" pipe. Meh.. something for another day.

Did you get yours tuned? I was looking at a Tony Wildman six setting for Economy, daily, and Tow / heavy tow mostly. I've read good things, and they'll reburn it for free if I get injectors or a ball bearing turbo later.

Comment

I know a guy that was on the 7.3 calibration team when they first came out - so - I have an advantage. My '97 had one of his calibrations in it - but it wasn't crazy, it would only smoke like a train when at WOT for more than a couple seconds.... that's the tune I had in it when I got 19.5mpg with all terrain tires 4x4 and 4.10 gears on a highway trip running 65mph.

I have not turned hime loose on the '01 yet - fresh engine, injectors, turbo.... with 6500 miles or so on it now, need to get the exhaust in it - and I'm probably going to take out the trash can air filter and put the stock airbox back in with through bolts to hold the lid on tight (factory threaded inserts were known for getting loose and introducing unfiltered air to your turbo. I also think I may have a lazy OEM waste gate - it seems to blow off more than it should - but I have no data to back up that statement - still don't have gauges installed.

Tony has been around a long time - always heard good things about him on the old dieselsite before it sucked.

Comment

I went to Tony's site and the last few reviews weren't very positive.. but the rest are great. Confusing. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to get a local shop to do it, and blammo - Tony is local. HAHAHA. The TDP shop is over in Fort Worth and Tony is in Rhome.

I couldn't find the rebuild kit on Rosewood's site. They'll do them for 500 but as usual I got hung up and think the Premium stage 1.5 is right up my alley. I'm on the fence... I'll check the tune / new hpop performance first but you know how it goes. Damn , I'm starting to sound like a girl... you know what girls want? MORE. Grin.

Comment

Call Rosewood - he was easy to deal with, he only does 7.3 power stroke stuff.

I think Tony might do injectors too, and don't forget about Beans - I think he's in TN.

Comment

Working...
                                X