No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In you guys opinion, what are the best diesel sites on the web?

After visiting the dealer and being stunned by the prices of new trucks, Big Red is going to get restored.
    I'm still learning

Comment

www.thedieselstop.com used to be the best
      - still good folks there, but it's got a lot more adds and a lot less traffic than it used to.
      (bar none the site I learned the most from about these trucks over the last 10 years)

Others include:
      A forum community dedicated to all diesel truck owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Powerstroke, Cummins and Duramax performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

I thought there was one like dieselgarage.com or similar - but I can't seem to find it now.

As far as diesel specific vendors:

Find quality diesel performance parts when you browse our online inventory. We’re constantly updating our selection of diesel engine replacement parts.

Anyone with a Ford 7.3 Diesel Truck knows that Diesel O-rings need to be replaced frequently. We have o-rings for your Powerstroke engine, fuel supply, HPOP, and Genuine Ford Motorcraft maintenance parts at the lowest prices

and of course LMCTruck.com for non powertrain related parts.

If Big Red is an auto - make sure you put an upgraded converter on your list - I was blown away at the difference between a stock covnerter and a converter spec'd for a "tow truck" the torque multiplication difference at stall was unreal.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Squirrels comment about "what are you doing in a dealership" hit home on multiple levels. I had almost talked myself into spending 28,000 for a work truck. Kinda dumb when I have 4 trucks already, five if you coun't the Bronco.

I wind up on dieselstop , powerstroke.org, powerstrokenation.com , dieselbombers.com but this is all pretty new to me. The biggest issue I have right now is I keep forgetting to call these guys:

Like almost every other Ford truck I own, the big red bastard could use a new steering box. Rebuilts last, no , they don't last. They are crap before they are installed. I've been going crazy with this for years, but a lot of guys with 400k on their trucks swear by this company so I'm going to give them a call.

/edit - looking at Rockauto, it seems Ford uses the same box in one form or another on everything. Maybe I'll liberate the 2000 Lightnings box, it only had 60,000 or so on it.
        Last edited by Beagle; January 12, 2012, 12:01 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

We've got 350K on Big Red, and steering box replacement is high on the list.

But its a long list...

John, even the woman in this household drives stick...only thing with an auto is the manure loader.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Nice work Bob!

I went from a fleet of manuals, to none, not even sure how that happened.

I replaced the steering box in the '01 when the engine was out, along with some other stuff cuz it was just too easy while you could stand in the engine compartment not to do it.

Bob - what is big red? If she's a 7.3 - have you upgraded to the LUK single mass flywheel and clutch kit? If not YOU MUST.
            HUGE improvement.

Also - I have a matched set of 3.55 gears for a pre superduty truck with the D50 split front. I've thought about using the gears in my '01 to reduce highway rpm slightly (I have 3.73 now - hardly worth it ) If either of you are interested in the gears let me know - shipping might suck - but $250 for all is what I have in them, the D50 front is complete housing and all, rear (sterling) is ring and pinion with pinion bearing and shim still in place.

Comment

Big Red is our '88 F350 Crewcab dually. NA 7.3 diesel, 5-speed manual. It hauls our horses and horsepower and is the Lovely Donna's daily driver.

It is, by far, the best vehicle we've ever owned. Nothing fancy, but it does the job in the way that older trucks use to do.

Yep, already has the LUK single mass conversion.

I should go ahead and start a thread on it.
              I'm still learning

Comment

here's my big question - why is it that these steering boxes are so hard to rebuild correctly? I'm tired of herding cats.

Comment

Beagle - I got a steering box through napa - and it steers like a new one... I only have about 7000 miles on it.

Bob - One of my favorite upgrades to the '01 has been a set of seats from an '06 - with the split rear seat and the flip out cargo tray underneath - it's just super handy. I"m still working on the front heated power captains chairs, I have the driver installed and console installed but the heater isn't hooked up yet - need to run a new circuit for it - passenger side wasn't power from the factory so I have more wiring to do before I can install that one.
                  (bummed I had to give up the jump seat but our old one was pretty beat and I just couldn't find a set with the jump seat)

I'm not sure how significant the floor pan differences are between the pre and post '98's but I'm sure with your fabrication skills - you coudl make the newer seats work in the older truck.

I'm sure a turbo upgrade is on your short list along with a rebuilt and "turned up" injection pump, return lines, and maybe rebuilt injectors if yours are original with 350k.

A bit of new weather stripping, maybe a new stereo and speakers, she'll be like a new one - and infinitely easier and less expensive to maintain!

Comment

I've put three different boxes in 2 different trucks and they're all sloppy by six months... If I didn't have it in my hand during the exchange, I would have sworn they sold me back my old box the last time. O'reillys and Seven Eleven.. crap, who was that company? Southland owned them.. .use to sponsor some National events here. They say when you get old the first thing to go is the memory, and I can't remember what the other thing was.
                    Last edited by Beagle; January 13, 2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      They say when you get old the first thing to go is the memory, and I can't remember what the other thing was.
                      We must be the same age, but I can't remember.

John, you're reading my mind. Although when I do a rolling restoration, I start with the brakes. I want the whoa before I get the go .

Comes with that age thing that Beags was talking about.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        So I got a wild hare after pulling my FSB with the Lightning - I love that truck, but I really don't want to put it through another 12,000 miles of towing. My nemesis, craigslist, comes up with this 2488.00 beauty of a 1997 F250 Power Stroke:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5128[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5129[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5130[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5131[/ATTACH]

It drives about like any 250,000 mile truck, maybe a little better. It got a gooseneck and brake controller. I'm thinking about trading my trailer for a lowboy gooseneck. What do y'all think?
                        those motors are always WET !!

Comment

I have more into my engine rebuild than the asking price of that truck..... I'm nothing but an enabler when It comes to oil fired trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                            those motors are always WET !!
                            I'm finding that out. Reminds me a lot of the last Chevy I owned, always marking it's territory.

We need an e4od / 4r100 rebuild thread. Turning up the hp on these things is pretty easy... easily to the point where the passenger car transmission say "No Mas". One of my latest distractions is a 5r110 conversion.
                            Last edited by Beagle; January 14, 2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

my e4od blew up in my f150 with a stock 351w

why ford used that trans with the diesels i have no idea
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I'm eyeballing a ZF kit out of rolled truck. Does the six speed work in an old body style? I found a five speed ZF with ECM, wires,pedal, "low mile" clutch and pressure plate, bell housing, shifter, pretty much everything for 800.00 and man it has me twitchy. I need to do some research on the ZF to find out what busts and how much that costs. I prefer a manual and a good parking brake to a slushbox. The 5r110e electronics and it's operation scared me off.

Truck has sat for 5 weeks and started this morning in the low 40's, vrr vrr vrrr knock a knocka knocka knocka... quite pleased with that! It starts as easy as my gas engines do.
                                Last edited by Beagle; January 16, 2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X