No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no idea if the 6 speed would work. it will proably physicly fit abd bolt up but not sure about wiring

the ZF is the strongest trans ford used in those trucks and used it up untill the6 speed came out don't know of any issues as none ever came in
    Last edited by Mater; January 16, 2012, 12:34 PM.
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working on cars ... sure is easier when you watch it on the internet. lol.

I've offered up about a pint of blood to this bastich and it seems to want more. An HPOP replacement price would be more than the truck was worth if I had to get a shop to do this. In gasoline parlance, there's a low pressure fuel pump and then one that takes it up to about 3000 psi or thereabouts for the injectors. You can guess which one is a real SOB and expensive.

Good news is I'm close to done. I'm motivated to finish it because the Lightning is at Texoma and I am not fond of walking. I don't remember sweating this much keeping junk running when I was a kid? I definitely remember not liking walking when I was a kid.. that much hasn't changed. I'd fix a bike if I had one here, I'm out of smokes.

In theory, this should stop the Valdeez like puddle under this truck (fittings were leaking like a pig) and I'm supposed to be able to "feel it" according to "Them". Hell, right now, I'd settle for feeling it idle! Grin. I should save about a quart of oil every 100 miles, so maybe I get a bonus.

I suddenly understand why people buy NEW diesels... hahaha.
      Last edited by Beagle; August 27, 2013, 07:51 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

those stainless braided lines make you look like you lost a fight with a mean stray cat! been there!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Week off working on dad's stuff out of town... but it's finally done and it sure idles better. I'm confused though, I can't follow the oil drip trail to where I parked it. I think it will take a tune to tell anything about the "more power" all these HPOP vendors promise, seems to run about the same although one helluva lot smoother. I'll get back on the mileage increase I'm supposed to see as well after a few tanks. The oil savings should be significant!
          Last edited by Beagle; September 6, 2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

how can you live in Texas without oil?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              how can you live in Texas without oil?
              I still live in town Aaron... I don't need to oil the driveway to keep the dust down. Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                I still live in town Aaron... I don't need to oil the driveway to keep the dust down. Yet.
                I'm thinking you've caved to the environmentalists

Comment

as fast as it has been dripping out, I haven't had to change it... my fence line is getting kinda ratty looking. Just sayin.... wait, that's Just kiddin.
                  Last edited by Beagle; September 6, 2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Cold weather 1, Diesel 0.

Doesn't like starting in 18* weather. Tested and replaced faulty glow plug relay, no joy. Futzed around yesterday and finally crawled around under it today, joy! Has a block heater. Plug in and see. It's 28* right now so I'll give it an hour or so.

I should throw a 100 foot cord behind the seat while I'm looking into why it won't crank off the glow plugs only. I also might put a 5w40 in it for the winter.
                    Last edited by Beagle; January 7, 2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

The Cummins loved the block heater would start better than a summer morning. I parked the TDI in the garage last night.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

you must plug them in for at least a hour (though I've not had huge luck if it hasn't been at least 2 hours). Nice side benefit of plugging it in - no frost on the windows when you fire it up.

Comment

I would plug mine in the night before if I knew i needed it the next day and it was going to be cold (well really I should say cool).
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

something I read says it's 1000w heater so I won't be leaving it on all night. Lol. Maybe a nice timer in the garage?

Heater 1, Cold weather 0. It's smoking like a bitch, but it's running. I don't think I have functional glow plugs. I checked the new GPR, it's got power going to them..

Comment

I did the requisite pre-glow this morning and he fired right up. It cranked a tad longer than usual, but not much. Temp was about 25* at the time but I'll reckon it was cooler under the hood as it was 18* last night and there wasn't a ton of sun shining on the hood. I'm wondering if your glow plugs are healthy. Both of Truck's batteries are good but not new so the cranking speed was a little slower than in warmer weather but I think that's normal.

The trans, however, did NOT want to upshift like normal until everything warmed up a bit.

Dan

Comment

Beags - have you checked the under valve cover wiring harnesses? maybe time to take those valve covers off and have a look see - DO NOT install anything but motorcraft / beru glow plugs and do them all once and be done with it - 13mm for valve cover bolts, 10mm deep well 1/4 drive for the GP if memory serves. There are a few suppliers on ebay that offer combination packages, 8 GP, two valve cover gaskets, harnesses, etc.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X