No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's 17, I suppose they could all be crapped out. The whole kit is 107.00 for the valve cover gaskets, 8 glow plugs, all the pigtails, and another relay. By the time I got it put in, it will be spring and I won't need them. Haha. The only place I'm worried about is the lake but I should have power there before I put the glow plugs in. HA!

/edit - John read my mind. lol. Another thought about the lake, it has a 4500w gasoline generator. I'm covered.
    Last edited by Beagle; January 7, 2014, 12:39 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

My next door neighbor has a Cummins powered Dodge tow truck. It started up in -15* the other night, but his driveway looks like the Exxon Valdez crashed in front of his garage door.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

mine leaked like a puppy, for the same reasons it seems. It needed to be paid attention to. At some point we ignore the expensive fix because the truck isn't worth it to us after being repaired and we're looking for an excuse to get a new one...which is the excuse we need to ignore the small fixes too. Oil is comparatively cheap compared to a high pressure pump if you are just biding your time.

For $2488, the truck has done what I wanted it to with about what I expected of a 17 year old 260k mile truck. It's stinky, loud, cranky, rattly, smokes when it's cold, and does it's job a little better than most 17 year olds. haha. It's going to pick up a little chinese tractor/loader/box/mower this morning. About 7500 pounds with trailer, I think it's time for brakes on the trailer. I've got a few more errands for it before it gets the attention it really needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          My next door neighbor has a Cummins powered Dodge tow truck. It started up in -15* the other night, but his driveway looks like the Exxon Valdez crashed in front of his garage door.
          Last night, I checked the oil leaks on my diesel. Note, I didn't fix said leaks, I simply checked them - diesels leak; it's when they get too much leakage that you have to do something about it.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

the Cummins I had leaked, what surprised me was it would leak less right after you changed or added oil?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              I did the requisite pre-glow this morning and he fired right up. It cranked a tad longer than usual, but not much. Temp was about 25* at the time but I'll reckon it was cooler under the hood as it was 18* last night and there wasn't a ton of sun shining on the hood. I'm wondering if your glow plugs are healthy. Both of Truck's batteries are good but not new so the cranking speed was a little slower than in warmer weather but I think that's normal.

The trans, however, did NOT want to upshift like normal until everything warmed up a bit.

Dan
              Dan, once it is running shift it to neutral for a minute then see how it shifts...My didges did the same crap, when I put them in N for a minute with the RPM up the issue went away...Fills up the converter quicker...just a thought...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

so far my powerstroke doesn't leak - well not externally - I think one of the oil lines in the valley leaks - the valley has fluid in it but I'm still not sure if it's oil or fuel and have had zero time to look into it. I want to have some oil lines made up by a local hydraulic shop to replace the hand shredding aging braded stainless lines - and one at the rear of the engine to better balance fuel demand in the head galleys... someday.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I bragged on Truck yesterday and now he needs work. I met a friend for lunch today and on the way over the windshield fogged over and it smelled sweet in the cab. HMmmmm - what could THAT be? As mentioned on here before I can't work with my head below my heart due to the remnants of my heart attack so it's off to my buddy Dave's shop. They can't get it in 'till Monday so I'll keep the miles down and ME and I will share the HHR.

That's what I get for bragging on the Big Boy!

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; January 8, 2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Heater cores happen... at least it wasn't in the Fox! Is it just me or does the MPG go to hell on these things in the winter?

Comment

damit - there goes mine - I can see it now - haven't run the truck in forever - next time I do - watch - the heater core is going to go.

Comment

mine wouldn't dare, I just replaced it last year

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          mine wouldn't dare, I just replaced it last year
                          now ya did it... and I remember the C/K heater core replacement in my '86 STILL. The old body style Ford is cake. The Chevy? Uh unh. I'd charge 800.00 to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            now ya did it... and I remember the C/K heater core replacement in my '86 STILL. The old body style Ford is cake. The Chevy? Uh unh. I'd charge 800.00 to do it.
                            If I had a Ford maintenance budget, I'd burn my Chevy budget - heater core for a Chevy truck costs what $1.25? plus, after the first time - they're really easy because no one is stupid (yeah, yeah, at least one person I'm sure, but most say ef-it) enough to put the unreachable nut back on (between the fender and the inner fender)

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              I ended up backing out of the Stealth pump... it's too much oil and money for what I'm doing. I thought about an Adrenaline, and wound up ordering a Terminator Engineering modded 17* using a brand new Bosch core. Truck goes bland at full throttle, I'm hoping this fixes it. I've been thinking about the injectors if that doesn't get it off it's butt. This stuff gets stupid expensive fast - but if you're gonna go 1000.00 for injectors, might as well go to a 160cc? Santa ignored my letters for tranny savers.

All the stuff I've been reading from owners indicates I may be happy with it after the HPOP. Based on what I'm feeling in the truck and descriptions from other owners, the 200+k original pump may be weak. I am about to order the down pipe and wondering about a hydraulic porta power. I'm reading that it takes a bit of "modification" on the firewall. I guess I'll find out.

I wonder why there isn't a bigger oval pipe offering? Could I use a 5" oval pipe? It'd be an expensive test, but might be worth it.
                              schhol me, how are fuel injectors, tranny savers?

Comment

It's the name - if you run any bigger injectors - you'll kill the transmission - so - these particular injectors - larger than stock but not as large as some other modified injectors - have been dubbed tranny savers - as they are designed to be better than stock - but not enough better to kill the automatic trans....

Beags - I used a well placed pair of sawzall cuts on the firewall hem flange, beat that section flat against the firewall, and the aftermarket down pipe went in fine (that was on my '97 with tranny savers, smaller turbo exhaust housing for faster spool up, and straight pipe with 5 speed, and a cheesy electric fan with no mechanical fan, baldwin filter like yours, etc - truck was very quick for what it was - sold to the first guy that drove it for my asking price, 5speed)

Comment

Working...
                                X