No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad had an '84 7.3(460??) intertrashional N/A with 4speed granny low.. and it would eat pumps and starters. and the 4:10 or better gearing with no o/d made it sing at highway speeds.. it didn't mark it's spot tho.. but dad was anal about that.. starting it with only half the glow plugs working in the winter was fun.. and it smoked like a train when you put your foot in it..

Comment

I got old and wise (read "broke") since that time ... lol. I can't find any DIY injector rebuild kits any more either. This poor turd does what it is supposed to but I think I'm past wanting to mod it. It's gotten kind of noisy compared to other trucks - how the hell do you tell if a diesel is knocking? Whatever, it's done it for 10k miles now pulling a loaded trailer so I more than got what I paid for and it's -almost- done with what I bought it to do. Few more trips... damn site cheaper and more convenient than U-Haul!! I would have totally killed my Lightning with what I was doing with this one.

I may rebuild it and put it in a half ton at some point, my back and kidneys can't take the springs / ride of this truck for any length of time! That and I want an extended cab and the feels like a foot shorter height should be good for economy. I know, I'm a pussy. It rides like a brick unless you've got a thousand pounds or more in the bed. I've been told "No New Projects Until Something Gets Finished or Runs" in No Uncertain Terms. Guess I'm whipped too. HA!
      Last edited by Beagle; January 9, 2014, 09:59 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
        Dad had an '84 7.3(460??) intertrashional N/A with 4speed granny low.. and it would eat pumps and starters. and the 4:10 or better gearing with no o/d made it sing at highway speeds.. it didn't mark it's spot tho.. but dad was anal about that.. starting it with only half the glow plugs working in the winter was fun.. and it smoked like a train when you put your foot in it..
        7.3 is a 444 in International parlance. You just described my idea of a "Farm Truck" .. except so far I haven't had any starter problems and my pump deal was not completely necessary. I could have o-ringed everything and gone on about life. The pump I put in it is a little hotter than stock so if I get to the point I want bigger injectors it won't have any problems with them. The cold start was the reason why I was bitching until I found the block heater cord. Mine doesn't act like it has any glow plugs working. It lights off like a charm after being plugged in, just like in summer. Turn key on, put belt on, turn down radio, light cigarette, turn radio channels, whack starter.... vroom. Mine just developed a new small leak, when it warms up I'll worry about it. Maybe. It keeps things from rusting.

I have an old 88 half ton extended cab that really looks like a good home for the Powersmoke. That or the Bronco. haha. The 88 has a rebuilt front end with no miles, it would be the best no buck candidate. You have to be pretty dedicated though - it's a LOT of wires for a diesel. Pretty much just swap the dashes and harnesses.
        Last edited by Beagle; January 9, 2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Just a general IHC question:

With the ISB you can install the motor home injectors and take the HP up to 315 (+/- IIRC) from the stock 270ish in the Dodge (DG probably knows the exact numbers off the top of his noggin). I shoulda done that to mine but I didn't know this at the time. Anyhow, is there a similar swap for the 7.3? Or do you have to go with aftermarket parts?

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; January 9, 2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

aftermarket injectors (just modified stockers) and a bigger pump, then the skies the limit with the turbo mods.... until you start pushing out head gaskets.

Beags - sell more stuff and get a super duty - I love the look of the old body style but the SD is a MUCH nicer truck to drive. Anything newer than the late half of 2003 will have the 7.3 that you know and love ;-)
            Last edited by milner351; January 9, 2014, 10:59 AM.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

diesel injectors require a special tool (pressure tester) to rebuild, but the entire process isn't terribly complex
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

last I checked Rosewood out of Ohio was the only place selling DIY rebuild kits that came with a couple of the required special tools. The problem is that most of the time you'll find that some part of the 8 injectors requires specialized machining to correct - so you'll end up boxing up your injectors and sending them to him like I did.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

SBG, these are HEUI injectors...

Click image for larger version

Name:	injector.png
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	875337

ahh, here's a better picture. Nozzle, barrel, plunger are the big wear items. Unless I got it wrong, you put bigger nozzles in and tune the 'puter... there's a big time outfit in Fort Worth, if I ever do this I'll take it over there and pay them to dyno tune it.

Last edited by Beagle; January 9, 2014, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Dang! There's a bazillion parts in those suckers. The Bosch injectors in the ISB are a lot simpler - never thought I'd say that about anything German! Though they have their idiocyncracies (sp?) too.

I just got my bigger injectors for the M-B. There's a guy on line who does them and he has a pop tester (what SBG was showing). He gets tips (mine are oversize) and then sets them to pop at the correct pressure and adjusts the shim pack as needed. EPA has a pop tester that was rarely used. I think they should scrap it - in my direction. At least on the Benz it's difficult to get assorted shims to tweek them.

Dan

Comment

offtopic/hijack. is/did the home fuel also loose it's sulfer ect lube qualities also.. I ask as I'd like to make my new oil burner last and if it lost it like the over the road fuel. I can see the pump life being shortened..

Comment

The last I heard, home heating oil was unchanged. By my info is 10 years old and things change. The sulfur was removed to keep the aftertreatment systems alive (like taking the lead out of gasoline to keep the cats alive) so there's no real advantage to de-sulfur home heating oil.

Dan

Comment

So running sulphurized diesel is like running leaded gas in a cat equipped car...?

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            The last I heard, home heating oil was unchanged. By my info is 10 years old and things change. The sulfur was removed to keep the aftertreatment systems alive (like taking the lead out of gasoline to keep the cats alive) so there's no real advantage to de-sulfur home heating oil.

Dan
                            dan they mandated biofuel a few years ago.. the % is low but they want to up it a little every few years.. so 10y/o info might be wrong.. no idea tho..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              So running sulphurized diesel is like running leaded gas in a cat equipped car...?
                              'Zakly! It'll "poison" the cells in the aftertreatment system and keep it from functioning. THAT'S why the Agency mandated the removal of sulfur - it has nothing to do with products of combustion of sulfur though they do make less SoX (sulfur oxides) though that was not a huge issue with Diesels, mostly power plants.

Like NERF says, my dated info may be exactly that - dated. Guess I should keep up but I don't. I am a member of the SAE and get the monthly magazine. I try to scan for changing tech and/or regulations and I haven't noticed any expansion of no-sulfur into either non-road (tractors, etc. though that is probably coming as they'll get aftertreatment - not sure of the date) nor non-transportation applications (like home heating). But the only applications I would be aware of are mobile sources, either from my career or from the SAE.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                'Zakly! It'll "poison" the cells in the aftertreatment system and keep it from functioning. THAT'S why the Agency mandated the removal of sulfur - it has nothing to do with products of combustion of sulfur though they do make less SoX (sulfur oxides) though that was not a huge issue with Diesels, mostly power plants.

Like NERF says, my dated info may be exactly that - dated. Guess I should keep up but I don't. I am a member of the SAE and get the monthly magazine. I try to scan for changing tech and/or regulations and I haven't noticed any expansion of no-sulfur into either non-road (tractors, etc. though that is probably coming as they'll get aftertreatment - not sure of the date) nor non-transportation applications (like home heating). But the only applications I would be aware of are mobile sources, either from my career or from the SAE.

Dan
                                well, if the supply depot, adds the dye to the fuel, I'd venture to hazard a guess that it's all the same junk.. no idea, at what point they add the dye to the home fuel.. if it's made/added at the plant, or once it reaches the depot

Comment

Working...
                                X