X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    SBG, these are HEUI injectors...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27992[/ATTACH]

ahh, here's a better picture. Nozzle, barrel, plunger are the big wear items. Unless I got it wrong, you put bigger nozzles in and tune the 'puter... there's a big time outfit in Fort Worth, if I ever do this I'll take it over there and pay them to dyno tune it.

refer back to my comment about "if I had Ford repair money, I'd burn my Chevy repair money"

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
    well, if the supply depot, adds the dye to the fuel, I'd venture to hazard a guess that it's all the same junk.. no idea, at what point they add the dye to the home fuel.. if it's made/added at the plant, or once it reaches the depot
    they'll start adding dye the moment they find out you're burning it in your truck
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Saavy truck troopers will stick a long clear hose in your tank and pull out a sample to check the color...
      One truck driver puts the off road diesel in his personal pickup.. not sure WHY the trooperdid it, maybe he was mouthing off, who knows but got the wrong color.. ..not sure how big the fine was.. Over the road is green, offroad is red ?? Or am I backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Saavy truck troopers will stick a long clear hose in your tank and pull out a sample to check the color...
        One truck driver puts the off road diesel in his personal pickup.. not sure WHY the trooperdid it, maybe he was mouthing off, who knows but got the wrong color.. ..not sure how big the fine was.. Over the road is green, offroad is red ?? Or am I backwards?
        off-road is red

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          off-road is red
          You get fined up in WA too if caught?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            You get fined up in WA too if caught?
            I'm sure you would, but I've never heard of a non-commercial getting caught... also, no one sells off-road fuel to the public, it's all Pacific Pride outlets that do it. If you have off-road equipment, you send a form to the government for a refund of road taxes and sign an affidavit that says that portion of the fuel you bought was for off-road purposes... that, I know they check on for reasonableness.... if I sent in a request for whatever the tax is on 20 gallons of fuel every 6 months - no worries (for my Bobcat), OTOH, if I sent in 80 gallons a month - they might get concerned... for 20 gallons - that's what $10 bucks in tax? not really worth it for the labor and the hassle...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              I'm sure you would, but I've never heard of a non-commercial getting caught... also, no one sells off-road fuel to the public, it's all Pacific Pride outlets that do it. If you have off-road equipment, you send a form to the government for a refund of road taxes and sign an affidavit that says that portion of the fuel you bought was for off-road purposes... that, I know they check on for reasonableness.... if I sent in a request for whatever the tax is on 20 gallons of fuel every 6 months - no worries (for my Bobcat), OTOH, if I sent in 80 gallons a month - they might get concerned... for 20 gallons - that's what $10 bucks in tax? not really worth it for the labor and the hassle...
              We go to a tractor place.. Get 3-5 five gallon cans for the cat for the summer.. Most of the time they don't care.. Sometimes they will ask if we are putting it in the pickup.. (Toyo or Suburban) most of the time we just get road taxed stuff, like you say.. Not worth the hassle... But if we were logging or using it alot, then we do..

Comment

From my limited experience with the refining industry, there's a significant difference in the processing required to get the sulfur out of Diesel fuel. Therefore I'm pretty sure that they sell high sulfur (I think it's around 250ppm and higher) fuel for off-road and the slightly different home heating fuel. Jet fuel and kerosene are similar but I have no clue of their sulfur content. Anyhow, you can bet the farm that there's a difference in sulfur content that goes along with the dye color because the high sulfur is cheaper to make. Ten years ago when I was involved with this the dye was added as the trucks left the tank farms and the fuel was still under the control of the refiner - I suspect that this is still the case. Is there ever a screw-up? Probably but not often - it would be too expensive. Remember, we're talking HUGE quantities of all of the above so the cost of keeping track of the different fuels is sort of washed out by the volume.

Dan

Comment

I concur with Dan on this - the dye is added at the refinery and the newer low sulfur stuff is significantly more refined and more expensive to produce....

pour in some ATF then pump in your low sulfur diesel - it's the cheapest additive to replace the lubricity removed with the sulfur - does it really help or just make you feel better? who knows - but the additive industry sure is making a lot of money from the paranoia surrounding low sulfur diesel.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I just dump some junk in the tank that's supposed to be anti-gel and every now and then some MMO. Getting busted with pink junk in your tank is not something I want to find out about, although I wonder how long it will be before they come down hard on WVO because it doesn't pay road taxes.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• most states have a road tax program that allows you to estimate your miles traveled on home brew and pay accordingly...

Comment

• I've heard varying opinions on adding ATF - some swear by it and others swear AT it. Seems like everyone on the Benz board thinks they have the right answer. I'm in the "watch and wait" camp.

I run pump fuel with an occasional shot of fuel conditioner (I wait until it's on sale at Advance and buy a couple) and every once in a GREAT while I add a shot of algae killer - separate stuff. I had a tank of algae gunk when I bought the truck so I'm careful about that. I leave my bottle of algae killer at my buddy Dave's shop and we share it.

Dan

Comment

• put some anti-gel junk in it yesterday, and it stopped a small leak it just developed. I don't know if this means it's out of oil, or the anti-gel junk has alcohol in it and the o-rings just swelled.

I'm thinking about a dually. I'm over the weight limit for my car trailer (7k), time to step up a notch. As much as I've enjoyed this truck, I want a crew cab or at least an extended cab. I thought about doing a swap with an old extended cab I have but it doesn't make a lot of sense when you can get a dually extended or crew cab for not a lot of money.

the really sick part of me says put the PSD out of this truck in a '70 Monte Carlo.

Comment

• hm..... you are certainly driving the least expensive diesel - reg cab.

once you step up to a dually - you're looking at the mack daddy D80 rear and most likely 4.10 gears.

There are very few reg cab duallys and they ride the worst of anything save for a bobtail semi tractor.

Crew cab duallies still bring good money - because they're worth it - seriously - now's the time get a 00 - 03 superduty - you'll get an intercooler, far superior ride, etc. I can't even begin to describe the improvements between the old body style and superduty - the only down side is you can't run old style wheels. I put '06 seats in mine - they bolt right in - and now i have the flip and shelf rear seat.

Comment

• Is 03 the last year of the good 7.3 PSD? They had both during the changeover for one or two years.. I'm told you wanna avoid the newer motor for a couple years... Can't remember why tho...

Comment

• Odds are pretty good I'll stay with the old body style. The newer Super Duty is still pricier than I want to spend on a farm truck... but the six speed would probably be nice. The 6.0 needs money spent on it to "bullet proof" it or so I read, and the trucks aren't cheap enough to make that an appealing prospect.

I'm expecting to go from average 20mpg to 15 with the dual rear wheels, and 4.10's wouldn't bother me. I would probably prefer them with the extra weight. The 3.55's in this truck are borderline too steep. It spends a lot to most of it's time with a trailer behind it.

Comment

Working...
                                X