Hillbilly Hauler, or.. my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    I totally agree with the time of day thing - no matter what - you'd best have a good reason to be on the road in the wee hours of the night - probability says you've been partying - even if you haven't been.
    and here I drive by cops at 85 mph all the time at 1 am. I even passed a cop at 2x the speed limit and he waved. I don't know what you folks are doing wrong. I even had a cop coming toward me when I had all my off-road and driving lights on - we talked on the radio and he simply gave me a heads up on what was ahead....

you'd be astounded at what I "get away with".... of course, it also helps that in 99.99999% of the time (at 1 am) I'm responding as a volunteer to a mission.... but that's just a side note
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 24, 2014, 09:45 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Water pump started leaking... I think it's original. 268k and who knows how much idling, I guess it's done it's duty. 150.00 at Oreilly, or 75 shipped from Rockauto for a new one. Guess I'll keep adding water while I wait by the mailbox.

The guys across the street from my dad's cut down a pretty big elm tree yesterday, I went over to ask what they charged and the guy goes "Are you a landscaper?"

NICE. No sir, I'm a retired software junkie, I just look like a landscaper. No wonder the cops think I'm a drunk landscaper, even the landscaper's think I'm a landscaper. Haha.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Water pump started leaking... I think it's original. 268k and who knows how much idling, I guess it's done it's duty. 150.00 at Oreilly, or 75 shipped from Rockauto for a new one. Guess I'll keep adding water while I wait by the mailbox.

The guys across the street from my dad's cut down a pretty big elm tree yesterday, I went over to ask what they charged and the guy goes "Are you a landscaper?"

NICE. No sir, I'm a retired software junkie, I just look like a landscaper. No wonder the cops think I'm a drunk landscaper, even the landscaper's think I'm a landscaper. Haha.

The answer is always "what do you need?" once you find out, the next words will be "let me get back to you" then PM BBR, I heard he needs more parts for his Ford

Comment

• Well, after changing the water pump it doesn't do Chevy impressions any more so I'm a little confused. I keep thinking in terms of my Harley - if it's not leaking, it's out of oil. Anyway, no territorial markings at the moment, and John's first real drive of the Falcon made me want to do something productive. I chose to remove the rocking chair action from the bench seat. The guy had two screen door springs doing absolutely nothing and two missing adjuster rack springs. The drivers side was okay so my previous solution was to clamp the other side with vice grips - yes, major hillbilly.

I found a couple of stout springs in the magic bolt bucket and made do with them, they're a ton better than the way it was. Seems to work fine. I collected 6.98 cents out of the cab and vacuumed up about five pounds of dirt - the dirt makes it worth less if I ever scrap it, but the change makes it cost less so I'll call it a wash. I found out how the bed hit the cab from the previous owner's time of ownership I think - there was a f*ing glass crack pipe under the vinyl floor cover. Holy crap - when I think about how a cop would have reacted to that it makes me shake. I try not to judge people's lifestyles too much as mine is pretty checkered, but damn. When you get so messed up you lose your pipe, maybe some changes are in order.

Winter is coming again. I guess I either need to leave a gas generator in the bed for the block heater or replace the glow plugs.

Lifetime mileage so far is still a little over 20mpg. It's current job of water mule is bringing that down a bit. 250 gallons of water weighs.. oh.. about a ton! Does anybody have any real world numbers on what a camper top does to mileage? I'm wanting a flat to the roof style so I don't have to unload it constantly.

Eh - another question for the Ford Truck guys - does anybody make an door handle that doesn't just snap off in your hand? Stupid plastic. I'm about ready to use some angle iron to fix it, second time it's busted since I've had it.
          Last edited by Beagle; October 6, 2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Believe it or not a camper top doesn't do much at all. If you've seen wind tunnel pics of a naked pickup you'll see that a curl of air comes off the top and sort of rolls over the back window and makes a negative pressure area off the bed floor which is hard on MPG and on top speed (hence my interest). Adding a camper top just moves that to the back of the truck where it sucks on the camper and truck tailgates. A hard tonneau helps as the "curl" can't go into the bed. I'd guess a camper with a properly designed air foil at the trailing edge would probably work well but I have no clue what the air foil should look like to be effective.

Dan

Comment

• Nice work Beags! I've had good luck with level with the cab top truck caps - tonneau is about 14 counts of aero improvement on the newer trucks depending on bed length, I have to believe a cap level with the cab to would be even better.

I would suggest getting a 13mm 6 point socket with a universal built in to help facilitate the removal of your 7.3 powerstroke valve covers - after that I believe you'll need a rather thin wall (chrome, not impact) deep well 10mm 6 point to remove the glow plugs.

I have to do the same to my '01 - I think I've lost some or all of the under valve cover wiring harness to the glow plugs - I need to address that before the weather turns too much colder.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• John - Am I right on the rear camper top spoiler? I'd love to see vids of a PU in a wind tunnel w and w/o the camper top, and + a rear air foil. But not enough to pay for it! Great project for A2 wind tunnel.

Dan

Comment

Well, after changing the water pump it doesn't do Chevy impressions any more so I'm a little confused. I keep thinking in terms of my Harley - if it's not leaking, it's out of oil. Anyway, no territorial markings at the moment, and John's first real drive of the Falcon made me want to do something productive. I chose to remove the rocking chair action from the bench seat. The guy had two screen door springs doing absolutely nothing and two missing adjuster rack springs. The drivers side was okay so my previous solution was to clamp the other side with vice grips - yes, major hillbilly.

I found a couple of stout springs in the magic bolt bucket and made do with them, they're a ton better than the way it was. Seems to work fine. I collected 6.98 cents out of the cab and vacuumed up about five pounds of dirt - the dirt makes it worth less if I ever scrap it, but the change makes it cost less so I'll call it a wash. I found out how the bed hit the cab from the previous owner's time of ownership I think - there was a f*ing glass crack pipe under the vinyl floor cover. Holy crap - when I think about how a cop would have reacted to that it makes me shake. I try not to judge people's lifestyles too much as mine is pretty checkered, but damn. When you get so messed up you lose your pipe, maybe some changes are in order.

Winter is coming again. I guess I either need to leave a gas generator in the bed for the block heater or replace the glow plugs.

Lifetime mileage so far is still a little over 20mpg. It's current job of water mule is bringing that down a bit. 250 gallons of water weighs.. oh.. about a ton! Does anybody have any real world numbers on what a camper top does to mileage? I'm wanting a flat to the roof style so I don't have to unload it constantly.

Eh - another question for the Ford Truck guys - does anybody make an door handle that doesn't just snap off in your hand? Stupid plastic. I'm about ready to use some angle iron to fix it, second time it's busted since I've had it.
                  I'm not a ford guy, but I did cut and form handles out of stainless plate 1/16th" I think, and wrapped them in high voltage cold shrink tubing for the plant supers truck... I think they outlasted the truck...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    John - Am I right on the rear camper top spoiler? I'd love to see vids of a PU in a wind tunnel w and w/o the camper top, and + a rear air foil. But not enough to pay for it! Great project for A2 wind tunnel.

Dan

One thing I've learned about aerodynamics - it's not often intuitive - vehicle shapes and add ons that look like they'd help, don't, and sometimes things that look as if they'd hurt, end up helping.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Keith (Turk) has made the same observation. He LOVES spending time at A2 and has "crewed" for several cars as they ran in the tunnel.

Dan

Comment

• I think the lip at the end of the tailgate on new trucks is for aerodynamic gains. It's something I'll include when I build a camper for it if I don't go buy this first. Sure looks like a hillbilly solution for 150.00... not even sure I can get all the lumber in at 150. :

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.png
Views:	48
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	975407

49* F .. that's how cold it has to be for truck to not start with no functioning glow plugs or getting block heater plugged in. Guess I'll be ordering a glow plug kit today... at least it will be 79* when I work on it!
                        Last edited by Beagle; October 14, 2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I think the lip at the end of the tailgate on new trucks is for aerodynamic gains. It's something I'll include when I build a camper for it if I don't go buy this first. Sure looks like a hillbilly solution for 150.00... not even sure I can get all the lumber in at 150. :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n975407[/ATTACH]

49* F .. that's how cold it has to be for truck to not start with no functioning glow plugs or getting block heater plugged in. Guess I'll be ordering a glow plug kit today... at least it will be 79* when I work on it!
                          Buy it! over size the injectors and turbo and take it on Dragweek!
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Kidney removal! (The truck rides like a brick, plus the cost of injectors...)

I've given a lot of thought to injectors and just can't justify 1300.00 worth of injectors for a 2500.00 truck, followed promptly by a multi-thousand trans rebuild. Not at this time anyway. haha. I'd like a nicer truck to work with if I were to go that route, this one is "rough" in about every aspect of the term. I'm struggling right now with whether or not to spend money on a tune. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to put an economy/tow tune on it, but I drive like Farmer Bill in this thing (see kidney comment above) so that doesn't make a lot of sense either.

Oh - I fixed the ashtray and the cigarette lighter. Thinking about maybe a seat cover as soon as I can find the Mexican blanket store.

Comment

• I am a firm believer that you can justify anything you want. What about pulling a leaf out of the back to soften it up a bit?
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• replace the rear springs with 1/2 ton springs and use air bags to get your load-carrying ability back.... that truly is a $100 solution... airbags are cheap these days. I left the 1/2 ton springs on my truck when I swapped to 3/4 ton - it still rides kind of rough, but put 100 lbs in the back (vs. the needed 500 lbs for a 3/4 ton) and it smooths right out.... another cheaper option is get lower load rating rear tires and run them at minimum air pressure... it'll stop better too.

Comment

Working...
                                X