2005 Mustang Mach 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Mustang Mach 1

I thought I had a project thread for this car. Guess not.

I purchased it late January 2011 after my former DD, the 2006 Monte Carlo SS, committed seppuku by barfing up the trans. As I've owned it, I keep finding little bits of new surprises every time I think I completely know the car.

It was already pretty stout when I acquired it. The 4.6 had been fitted with a C&L cold air kit and JBA headers and the computer had been flashed via an SCT tuner. A week into ownership, I took the car to Speedworld, near Phoenix, and on almost-dead Pirellis was running near-consistant 13.5's.

In April, the Pirellis gave up, and I put some pathetic, undersized Michelin X-Green Primacy tires on it to make it work. They suck.

Since that point, the car has gained a Steeda rear swaybar, GT500 coils and lower control arms, and after a little work, what was a GT is now a Mach 1 as I have envisioned it. I used the trunk emblem from a '72 for the outline.

Lately, I haven't done much to it but drive it. I have recurring issues with the brakes and transmission, the latter of which sent me to AMP Performance. I drove the shop guy around to see if I was hallucinating about the 5-gear auto's shifting being bad. When a speedshop guy is genuinely surprised, the owner genuinely is too. Bringing me to question one for this car:

I know there is a way to determine rear gear on the car by rotating the rear tires off the ground, monitoring the driveline. Can someone get me that, please? One possible theory is that the rear gears are not 3.31, the factory ratio, but something much deeper, possibly 4.10 according to two of the AMP guys who drove the car. It would give me something to go off of while they try to reprogram my programmer...
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

This video shows how I calculated the gear ratio installed in the rear differential of my 1973 Duster 340.Come read my blog at http://www.HerboldRacing.com
    Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

with a 13.5 et I would not be surprised if someone swapped the gears...

I will keep my eyes open for rims. I cant believe that a-hole...600 for bare rims...*pffft* whatever tool.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
        with a 13.5 et I would not be surprised if someone swapped the gears...

I will keep my eyes open for rims. I cant believe that a-hole...600 for bare rims...*pffft* whatever tool.
        joe joe, what you think they cost new, or if you had to find them at a parts recycler if they get stolen..??
        that tool knows what he's got.. if thats being a tool, then

REM nice car is the '82 t/a rear spoiler stock
        Last edited by Stich496; October 5, 2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Mark, Mark, Mark do you think I am stupid? I know what the rims. He was selling are worth and they were and are not worth 600, I have seem them for 800 with new tires installed, he wanted 6 forused rims with curb rash, would not budge from 600 and would not send pics. These rims are about 165 to 180 new...600 was way off the mark for used, bare rims.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

@Mark: Yeah, it's stock and it sucks. Later on it's getting swapped for a Shelby-style ducktail. And Joe isn't kidding...I jumped b/c the ad said $600 for wheels and tires (a deal), not rashed up wheels (I can wait).

@Drew: Thanks! I'll be checking that this weekend.
            Last edited by BangShift McT; October 5, 2011, 05:49 PM.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Updates:

It has the 3.31 automatic ring in it. So much for that idea. Wonder where the grunt is coming from?

Picking up new rims/tires tomorrow, hopefully. Stay tuned.

Comment

Damn, I let this one go. Ok, redemption: All this goes on tomorrow.

EBC rotors and Red Stuff pads, front and rear
                Shelby coils, front and rear
                Shelby Lower Control Arms
                Fuel filter
                Plugs

Comment

Only missing a case of beer.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nice! That will be a fun install.

Comment

The plugs scare me...they have a habit of stripping threads out of the heads.

Comment

Aack, I think your crazy, it's virtually a new car and you live in the desert!
                        If you lived where I am, yes, you should be worried.

Comment

3v 4.6's like to have spark plugs break in the head, or strip the threads out. If that happens, it'll be a very expensive fix. I'm all but sure the original plugs are in there. Car's over 80,000 mi old.

Comment

HOLY SHIT IT IS A WHOLE NEW CAR.

Comment

We've had to heli-coil our share of 4.6 heads at our shop. I don't blame you for worrying.

New parts help?
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Working...
                              X