No announcement yet.

squirrel's 57 Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fine example of Jim making me feel like a sloth.

Fantastic work in a very impressive amount of time - I'm still reeling from the fact that you're building something with a small block.

Very very well done as usual - you've set a great example for your kids!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Thanks!

I've been getting ready for the trip. Installed the stereo, just an amp under the seat, and a $30 walmart speaker box behind the seat. Then I put in a storage bin to keep stuff from rolling around (and being visible to thieves), another quality walmart product, bolted the the floor using the original center seat anchoring points, which accept carriage head bolts. And of course the ever important cigarette lighter socket, mounted under the dash for easy access for the USB phone charger cable.

And a gratuitous garage picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chevys.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	871493
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Another fine example of Jim making me feel like a sloth.

Fantastic work in a very impressive amount of time - I'm still reeling from the fact that you're building something with a small block.

Very very well done as usual - you've set a great example for your kids!
        But you are the endangered giant sloth.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          Thanks!

I've been getting ready for the trip. Installed the stereo, just an amp under the seat, and a $30 walmart speaker box behind the seat. Then I put in a storage bin to keep stuff from rolling around (and being visible to thieves), another quality walmart product, bolted the the floor using the original center seat anchoring points, which accept carriage head bolts. And of course the ever important cigarette lighter socket, mounted under the dash for easy access for the USB phone charger cable.

And a gratuitous garage picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23494[/ATTACH]
          This is a garage I would be PROUD to own!

Comment

• Congratulations on an impressive build! Very nice, indeed!

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post

garage picture...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23494[/ATTACH]
              should be in CC "this guy's garage"

IMO I think that would be cool.
              Last edited by 68scott385; July 24, 2013, 06:16 PM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• And what a fine garage picture at that! I think the 50's had some of the best looking cars. Oh did I mention I hate you? Have a great trip Jim!
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• This is why shooting good photos and keeping a build thread going is a good idea. Check out Part 1 of Squirrel's Suburban build on the blog today.

I'm going to start doing more of these guys, so if you think that any specific project or build threads here in the Forum should be in the spotlight, send me an email or PM and let me know.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

• thanks Chad!

Today's update....drove 500 miles, I'm in San Diego for a few days, and the truck works just fine. It wasn't too hot today driving thru Yuma, but i did get to test the wipers and the windshield seal for leaks, and they both work good. Stopped and picked up some rain X because i forgot to put some on at home, it saves wear and tear on the wipers. The old 350 runs good, and I have been getting around 15 mpg. The speedo got a bit funky for a little while reading 90 when I was doing 75, but it settled down after a bit. I kinda wished I'd put in the cruise control, but it's not too bad.

Hope to meet up with Chad this weekend.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• I had wondered if the 350 was for fuel... 36% better than I would have expected out of a 454 (11). Good to hear it's working pretty much as expected on it's re-maidened voyage!
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• The 454 I was going to use did a little bit better than 11 when I had it in my 66 suburban years ago. I can also play with the gearing, I have a 9" in it and 3.0 gears. I also have 2.47 and 2.75 gears. Although...with the small block, the 3.0s are kind of tall when going in the mountains...so I doubt it will get much better. Adding an OD would be less expensive with the small block, I could probably get away with using a 700.

My son Kevin at the keyboard, and Sean watching him. Sean has been doing the robotics stuff a little bit longer than I have, he did most of the mechanical design and fabrication of this robot. Kevin does the electronics and programming

Name:	auv01.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	871543
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Good luck folks!

(edited, didn't mean to leave the ladies out.)
                          Last edited by Beagle; July 26, 2013, 06:28 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• thank! The robot worked ok yesterday, but died again today before the run that it needed to make to go any further. Oh well.

Suburban made it up to LA this morning, met up with some of the guys.

Name:	DDbsMeet.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	871570
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Sorry about the robot woes.

After seeing the car in person I have to say Jim absolutely killed on this project. The paint isn't show quality, but it looks as good as anything that came from the factory and he painted it in his garage. I would love to road trip this truck. Fantastic job, Squirrel!!
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Still sounds like a great robo-time Jim!

you guys make Scott look pretty short
                                Local person
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X