No announcement yet.

squirrel's 57 Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I haven't done this many times. I've painted a couple of cars, and prepped a few others that other guys painted for me.

Looking at the paint more after it has dried some, it looks like it will be ok. It's not as smooth as it should be, and it could use color sanding and buffing...but I probably won't feel up to doing ithat any time soon. There's too much more work I need to do just to get the thing finished and on the road. And I have a sort of deadline in a few weeks, which might make me keep working on it till it's done, but won't allow me to spend too much time making things "just right".

The paint is Nason Ful Cryl II acrylic enamel, Dan. Activator is required for this type of paint. It gets hard enough to sand in less than 24 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	status37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	870994
    Last edited by squirrel; July 5, 2013, 09:15 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Actually I haven't done this many times. I've painted a couple of cars, and prepped a few others that other guys painted for me.
      Same here but I'm still using newspaper & a high pressure gun for my top coat. That's a nice color for the Suburban.

Comment

That's the original color...although the top was not originally white on this one. I use an hplv gun, and I just have a hand masker, I can afford $8 for a roll of masking paper, it makes it a lot easier. Besides we don't get the newspaper any more, and they're so dang small now anyways.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

I'd get a quote to see what it'd cost to color sand. Sometimes the dollar amount is worth having someone else to it. Though it might not be in your nature
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

nice now all that's missing is smoke from the rear wheel wells

Comment

Looks great Jim, but not seeing many updates on the 55. Sept. is coming quick.

Jason
              2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
              2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
              all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

I'm enjoying this rebuild, the speed at which it is happening is amazing, and soon we'll be looking at a motor between those frame rails!

So what are the plans for motivation/driveline, still BBC TH400?
                Tim
                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by prostreet34 View Post
                  Looks great Jim, but not seeing many updates on the 55. Sept. is coming quick.
                  yeah I know....hmmm....

Sanded the inside of the doors this morning, and painted them and some of the garnish moldings. Tomorrow I hope to sand and paint the outside of the doors.

Name:	status38.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	870998

And I installed a tail light. I need to figure out all the parts to buy and place an order in the next day or two, I need some stuff to get the windows back in, and a firewall pad, etc.

Name:	status39.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	870999

I'm thinking seriously about dropping in a 350 I have for now, and see how it does.
                  Last edited by squirrel; July 6, 2013, 07:41 PM.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I got the doors painted. The paint went on better than on the body...I guess being able to see what you're doing, helps.

Name:	status40.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	871006
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim, how do you keep all the overspray off the rest of the garage? Your garage always looks so clean when you show your pics?
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Actually it's a mess.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Fantastic, Jim. I'm really glad to see this progressing so well. Very nice.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks.

Got the doors hung. They sort of fit.

Name:	status41.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	871009

Name:	status42.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	871010
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

I'll bet they fit as well as they ever did. Folks forget how bad the body fits on older vehicles were. And paint quality. I read a story about Galen Govier (sp?) a MOPAR restorer. Folks would come to him for a 100 point restoration and he'd do an orange peel paint job with so-so body fits. The customers would gripe about how they wanted perfect paint and he'd have to explain that it would cost them points at the shows. He learned to warn them ahead of time and let them make the choice.

So I'm thinking you have a 100 point truck right there!

Dan

Comment

Maybe so Dan! Although some of these trucks fit better than this one does....I've played with several of them over the years.

Paint store is still out of gallons of primer...time for me to do some mechanical work. I have the old original engine (long block) out of Steven's 87 suburban, it's a non-roller 350, first year of EFI, it has the one piece rear seal and funky angle center intake bolts and center bolt valve covers. I have a 1970 Qjet iron intake, so I had to do some mill work to make it fit. The mill head is set to 18 degrees off vertical. After getting the bolts to fit, I sandblasted it. I also need to finish sandblasting the pass side seat frame, and the bottom of the hood. Fun work on a humid day.

Name:	status43.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	871017

Name:	status44.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	871018
                                My fabulous web page