the story of Ethel, my 1979 trans-am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1_slo_gen_2 View Post
    small update...ordered the new OER dash, Year One door panels, all clips/hardware/water sheilds, new fan shroud and fan w/Derale controller arrived...and made my apt at the body shop...time to get my lazy ass in gear!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8062[/ATTACH]
    Does that fan shroud setup work ?
    Looks to me to be lacking in depth and
    the fan being able to suck air at the perimiter
    of the shroud.
    I had a similar setup.....failed miserably, so
    I made a deeper shroud with dual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
      loving this, as my first car was a 71 fireturd esprit 350.
      eventually it wound up with a heavily reworked 455 pontiac
      and a muncie. man, was that car crazy--2.92 gears would bottom the
      speedo at 165mph...or so ive heard. i would never do that myself
      or anything......

anyway, sorry...i HAD TO do it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0
      BEST SONG EVER! I'd like a muncie in this one, but the TH350 will work.
      "We can't stop here, IT's bat country!"

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post

Does that fan shroud setup work ?
        Looks to me to be lacking in depth and
        the fan being able to suck air at the perimiter
        of the shroud.
        I had a similar setup.....failed miserably, so
        I made a deeper shroud with dual fans.
        so far so good, temps are pretty stable. The shroud has foam tape around the perimeter (holding up well so far) I was curious about it too. Once it seems more traffic use I may have to change it. The fan blows VERY strongly.

Comment

Corvair question: Is it practical to put the later rear suspension under the older body? I know any thing will fit in anything with enough time, money, and effort but I've often wondered if the mounts are there. Getting rid of the swing axles would be a good thing if you were going to pour some HP into it.

BTW - a buddy of mine made a rig to bore Corvair cylinders. You need a spare set of block (or was it head?) castings and and use them to chuck the heads at 90* to the bores. That's just the concept - you'd have to experiment to get it right.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Corvair question: Is it practical to put the later rear suspension under the older body? I know any thing will fit in anything with enough time, money, and effort but I've often wondered if the mounts are there. Getting rid of the swing axles would be a good thing if you were going to pour some HP into it.

BTW - a buddy of mine made a rig to bore Corvair cylinders. You need a spare set of block (or was it head?) castings and and use them to chuck the heads at 90* to the bores. That's just the concept - you'd have to experiment to get it right.

Dan
            I've heard other dudes ask, but don't really know. I'm just gonna lower it and make it a cruiser. although, a fast one would be cool (with the flat-6, maybe efi and a turbo?)

Comment

Originally posted by 1_slo_gen_2 View Post

I've heard other dudes ask, but don't really know. I'm just gonna lower it and make it a cruiser. although, a fast one would be cool (with the flat-6, maybe efi and a turbo?)

found this: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/vi...hp?f=176&t=349
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                hmm. I like that. if plans ever change on mine, it may be worth doing. doesn't seem too terribly hard.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  VERY cool - thanks for the link. Also, I didn't know they made those in a hard top.

Dan

Comment

So, last night I decided to dig into electrical problems with the car. This is absolutely not my forte, but hey, worth a shot. When I was collecting parts for the car a few (many) years back, I found a stellar deal on an IDIDIT column...in my infinite wisdom, I didn't think to see if it had a multi-function switch (hi/low and turns) or just a turn signal switch. Turns out to be the latter. so after reading the wiring diagram I found the connector that was supposed to go to the MFS and jumpered it. low beams work. It was nice to see the H.I.D. conversion work. I may start looking into the turn signals (no idea on this one, the wiring is truly a shit show) and fuel level situation (90% sure the ground isn't attached) tonight. progress is progress. lol
                    Last edited by 1_slo_gen_2; October 24, 2017, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X