No announcement yet.

the story of Ethel, my 1979 trans-am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black. It was painted right after I got it...but every panel on the car has been beaten up...so time to clean it back up. (it was supposed to be a simple paint/interior refresh and drive it...but a frame-off happened somehow lol)
    "We can't stop here, IT's bat country!"

Comment

I've cut rubber hose to use as "insulators" for stuff - that would work pretty well on your shroud I think, or some heavier stick on foam weather strip.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I ended up using the foam tape. 1" wide and about 1/2" thick. It seems to work well. I did, however, use heater hose over my trans cooler lines to insulate them where they pass thru the core support!

Comment

Good to see a Pontiac in there. What mounts did you use to install it? The last 403 to 400 swap I did on a 79 left the engine sitting forward about an inch from where it should be.

Comment

Gotta Love Those Tin Indians!!! Pontiac Is NOT Dead....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Enjoying your T/A build! I just finished rebuilding my 2nd Gen '71 Camaro last fall. I've always liked 2nd gen GM F bodies, and I've owned my '71 since 1973. Mine is a dealer installed BB 427 engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                Enjoying your T/A build! I just finished rebuilding my 2nd Gen '71 Camaro last fall. I've always liked 2nd gen GM F bodies, and I've owned my '71 since 1973. Mine is a dealer installed BB 427 engine.
                Loving that old school street mauler look.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think I just tinkled in my uniform a little...

The style of your Camaro reflects everything that made me fall in love with cars when I was a kid...bad ass.
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                    I think I just tinkled in my uniform a little...

The style of your Camaro reflects everything that made me fall in love with cars when I was a kid...bad ass.
                    well said Joe, that's exactly what that car should be!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                      Good to see a Pontiac in there. What mounts did you use to install it? The last 403 to 400 swap I did on a 79 left the engine sitting forward about an inch from where it should be.
                      A pontiac engine is all that will ever live in that doghouse! As for the mounts, I just ordered both sides of the mounts for a 400 and they worked fine. I will say, the engine is a huge PITA to get lined up over the mounts tho!

Comment

Where did you get the stamped steel mounts that bolt to the engine? I have a couple sets for the 77-81 cars, they are different from 70-76 mounts. Every time I went to a store they would hand me the lower mounts that bolt to the subframe.

I might stick an Olds in one, but all of mine will remain Pontiac too. Any other engine is just a truck engine, well other than BOP.

Comment

lol...well said. ( as my roomie stands behind me trying to club me with his Jeg's catalog. damn LS1 geeks)
                          I think they came from Eckler's or Ames performance. Hell, maybe even from Ebay. I'll look tomorrow and see if I have a couple spares.

Comment

Whoa, fast forward 5 years or so...back on this car again. Since 2012 I've gotten into motorcycles and even bought another car. The Trans-am runs and drives, but the trans is puking fluid everywhere, I'm thinking about ditching the Demon JR carb...did some reading and I think my cam is well beyond what it can handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	11831658_10206480652948833_1496911174844740186_n.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1177047

On all four (with low tire and all) new hood and some of the wheel flare parts.

New gauges and panel. most of them are even functional now! Click image for larger version

Name:	11873375_10206584130015695_3065980466301700292_n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1177050

Two of the distractions I've had since updating this thread: Stage 2 MK7 gti with lots of mods and 2012 Triumph speed triple. Click image for larger version

Name:	17264851_10211224505382179_4352364727633212363_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1177051

The most recent distraction, 2016 Street bob. love this thing. Click image for larger version

Name:	21430312_10212932625084104_4492088214967422748_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1177052

Here's the other car I picked up. It's a 63 Corvair Monza 900 4spd. super nice.
                            Last edited by 1_slo_gen_2; October 18, 2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Here's a video of the first start (more or less) It sounds pretty good considering the carb issues and the timing not dialed in all the way. Yes, It's got exhaust lol...3: x pipe and flowmaster 10's dumped at the axle.

Comment

loving this, as my first car was a 71 fireturd esprit 350.
                                eventually it wound up with a heavily reworked 455 pontiac
                                and a muncie. man, was that car crazy--2.92 gears would bottom the
                                speedo at 165mph...or so ive heard. i would never do that myself
                                or anything......

anyway, sorry...i HAD TO do it....

Comment

Working...
                                X