No announcement yet.

Bossman's 66 Impala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this pretty much brings me to the present day. I have some rear suspension work to finish up, parts are sitting here staring at me to get to work. I had a custom Ford 9" built with 35 spline axles and I have multiple center sections to pop in and try out from my Drag Car (70 Nova).

I'm also building an adjustable rear suspension like a Drag 4-link but using stock style parts. This is a custom setup so it should be pretty interesting to see how well it works out (also using coil overs). These pieces are for the upper trailing arms.

The car is currently in the body shop getting rust repairs done and getting a fresh coat of 1966 Lemonwood Yellow. I have this other motor I've been playing with the idea of sneeking in for a little bit to surprise a few local people but undecided as of yet. All the parts are there I just need to finish it up. This is a 413ci SBC with 14 degree Heads, I'll leave the rest to your imagination!

Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Great stance and I like the plain jane color......My moms hubby has a blue one with a blue interior...I have been trying to "borrow it" since he never dirves it...for some reason he wont hook a brother up...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I like your approach to building engines-it looks like you know the advantage of good machine work and cylinder seal. Did you determine the reason for blowby in the original engine?

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
          I like your approach to building engines-it looks like you know the advantage of good machine work and cylinder seal. Did you determine the reason for blowby in the original engine?
          I sure did! I was experimenting with a larger piston to bore wall clearance using 1.2 / 1.5 / 3mm low tension rings. I went to wide on a thin bore wall with low tension rings - lesson learned. Some people told me certain things would work and others told me things wouldn't work with what I was experimenting with. Pry 5-6 different things I was playing with and learned what you can really get away with and the limits of others. I felt I better experiment on my own stuff and learn what the reality is vs listening to conflicting stories. That motor is actually betting put back together after I pitched the stock block, I found some of the limits lets just say. I have a seasoned Bowtie Block that I plan to use the majority of those parts for, it wll be a 399ci motor now.
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

IMHO the most beautiful Impalas ever made, the 65s and 66s. Love the yellow...Mellow Yellow with a bad attitude (under the hood).
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Have you ever tried concrete with thin walls for stability? It seems to me the 400 stock blocks sure have their limits but the bore size is nice. I like your idea of the small journal rod size that seems like the way to go for strokers to get extra clearance for pan rails and the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
                Have you ever tried concrete with thin walls for stability? It seems to me the 400 stock blocks sure have their limits but the bore size is nice. I like your idea of the small journal rod size that seems like the way to go for strokers to get extra clearance for pan rails and the cam.
                Yep, that one had a short fill in it (up to freeze plugs) but a tall fill (up to water pump holes) would have been better. I would have had to run a oil cooler for street duty if I did a tall fill. I think the excessive piston to wall clearance was more of the issue, the stock block didn't help either. Interesting thing about that crank and rod combo in the 427 was that I didn't have to notch the block one bit but the 406 needed notched on one side (core shift and rod design) even with a stock stroke.
                Nick Smithberg
                www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Great stuff, man. Hope to see more of this car and your engine work. Love to read about the intricacies of Hi po engine building.
                  Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Been busy over the weekend, didn't get too much of a chance t creep but had to come back and check this post out. Nice build! I kinda like the rust...adds a bit character! I like the stock interior as well. A nice foil.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Nick, when do you sleep!!

That is such a great looking car, and I certainly understand experimenting on your own car in order to figure things out.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Nightshifts right now Bob, back to days in a week. I usually get good sleep but I still work entirely too much (as you well know). I've been brought up that if you want to accomplish something hard work, determination, and an eye for detail will get you there so that's what I do!
                        Nick Smithberg
                        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                          Been busy over the weekend, didn't get too much of a chance t creep but had to come back and check this post out. Nice build! I kinda like the rust...adds a bit character! I like the stock interior as well. A nice foil.
                          Thank you! The rust really isn't all bad but it started to spread so I opted to fix it now before it got worse. I more or less want to maintain and clean up what is already there. The color combo is odd and unique but it as grown on me the more I look at it.
                          Nick Smithberg
                          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Considering it's from Nebraska, you should thrilled it still has both of it's frame rails intact. It's in phenominal shape.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Not an ounce of rust in the floors or frame, main reason why I bought it. My 70 Nova on the other hand (also Nebraska car) received a different fate - Full Chassis Drag Car.
                              Last edited by BOSSMAN; January 9, 2012, 11:21 PM.
                              Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

My 69 Impala winter car was a rusted out shit box. Only after I drove it to Cali did I discover the frame rails were gone.

Whereabouts in Nebraska are you at?
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X