1968 XJ6 Ls turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 XJ6 Ls turbo project

So I needed a new small family car and couldn't justify spending 23k on a used Pontiac G8 and then another 8k on a blower,3k on suspension etc. ... you get the picture. So i figured I'd look for something old and could personalize and make cool. On to Craigslist and find a 1968 Jag Xj6 for $2500. It came with sbc 400 (509 block) with a 700r4 and a leaky rad. So off to the shop i went and installed an aluminum rad i had lying around and cruised it for about 6 weeks. 68-73 series 1 jags are a bit smaller and weigh in at about 3700lbs stock and with a sbc about 3500lbs. They come with dana 44's (this one has 3.54 gear) and all the suspension is interchangeable all the way into the 90's.
    So hear's the plan, It's getting a 6.0 ls to be stroked to 400+in. with a Comp ct43 78/79 billet turbo. The trans is a 4l80 the pair will be set back 6 inches. The car will be painted silver with a wine colored leather interior with black accents. If all goes well i should have 700+ rwhp stealth cruiser and it will be QUIET!!
    Hope you guys enjoy, I will be updating as i go along. Here is a link to the pictures

Nice to see a XJS that's not being cut up for parts. Any thoughts about whether you're going to trust the wiring?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm keeping an eye open for stealth bomber updates. I have a soft spot for Jags. I remember talking with a guy who had a XJS (2 door, originally a 12 cylinder) with a 454 in the Super Shops parking lot one day. It was really quiet, I thought it was perfect. Not quite the Q-Ship that an XK is, but still pretty sublime.

Should be entertaining!
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Nice to see a XJS that's not being cut up for parts. Any thoughts about whether you're going to trust the wiring?
        Ha the first thing to get ripped out was the wiring!! The only not so fun part is figuring the fuel system...2 12gallon tanks to feed 800hp with returns, have to be silent and they both have to work one fuel gauge

Comment

Any thoughts how you're going to run it - EFI? Should be able to use (most of) the stock EFI system including the GM computer for ~700hp.

The Z Industries guys out where you live will come and tune it onsite in a matter of minutes for a few hundred bucks.
          Last edited by dieselgeek; January 13, 2012, 09:36 AM.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yannicks friend Mike Haddad of Haddad Motorsports specializes in late model tuning and buildups.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Good luck with the 4 l80e , been having a rash of band FAIL lately
              don't drive it with a bad alternator

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                Good luck with the 4 l80e , been having a rash of band FAIL lately
                don't drive it with a bad alternator
                Thanks for the heads up..will do my best!

Comment

I like this build. These are great cruisers, and having that drivetrain should make it a blast.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by yannick View Post
                    Ha the first thing to get ripped out was the wiring!! The only not so fun part is figuring the fuel system...2 12gallon tanks to feed 800hp with returns, have to be silent and they both have to work one fuel gauge
                    Ahh, here's where Ford may be able to help you! On 84-89 trucks with dual tanks, Ford had a valve called the "dual function reservoir" that controlled the flow (supply and return), along with the in-tank individual fuel pumps, between the tanks. This includes the fuel sender for each tank. If the parts don't help you, then maybe just the overall design could give you ideas in making yours.

Here's something I found IRT the routing of the lines and such. I'm sure there's a better representation out there, but it gives you the general idea...

Here's how the actual valve works...

And here's the actual valve...

Hope this helps!
                    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

Thank you so much ! but i think i'm gonna have to go a bit bigger -8 feed and -6 return, but gonna come back to this for thinking when the time comes....

Comment

Got some more stuff done today..http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8145923&type=1

Comment

Moving along..hot side almost done.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks great , your sure not waisting any time getting things done . What did you pull the motor from ? .

Comment

04 chevy heavy duty truck...6.0 lq4 with 4l80. soon as the car is back in running condition wiring and interiors done, it's gonna get forged bottom, big heads and very mild cam on wiiiiiide centers goal is lots of power 700-800 rwhp but silent!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X