1985 Dodge Shelby Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger

I've had a couple folks show interest in hearing about this car. One told me to post a project thread. I completed the car in 2004, but it is still a project. The engine is out of the car now while I'm waiting on a new transaxle.

The car is my 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger that I got in August 1995. It is the first car I ever owned. I got hit at an intersection in Dec. 1996 and put the car back together as a beater in 2000. I converted it to turbo two at the same time. It was really fun beating up on faster appearing cars. I took the car back apart in 2003 to "restore" it into its current form. I finished the car in 2004. It has run a best 12.538 @ 111.71 mph on 16 psi. Life has kept me from getting serious with it. I think it has mid 11's in it.

When I first got the car.

After the wreck in 1996

After a little frame pulling and new body panels

Stripping her down for paint.

In Primer

A little color

Building the engine in the kitchen

As you can see, I wasn't married at the time. Women don't like car parts in the house.

Powder coated parts.

Now

Underhood

I'm not afraid to beat on it.

Best timeslip

Mods:
    Engine:
    -1989 TBI common block drilled for turbo oil return
    -Forged 2.2 turbo crankshaft
    -Shot peened and balanced turbo II connecting rods with ARP bolts
    -JE forged pistons
    -Steve Menegon 1mm oversize valve/ported "G casting" cylinder head
    -1994 factory TBI roller camshaft
    -Relentless Racing adjustable camshaft gear
    -Turbonetics T3/TO4E hybrid turbocharger (50 trim/stage II)
    -2.5" swing valve (wastegate) housing
    -Turbonation stainless braided oil and water lines
    -Alabama man log header
    -One piece intake manifold with ported runners and throttle body neck
    -52 mm throttle body
    -Spearco intercooler with 2.5" intercooler piping
    -HKS SSQV blow off valve
    -Daytona Shelby radiator with GLHS radiator fan

Transaxle:
    -A-520, shifter, and cables from 1988 Shadow CSX-T
    -Alabama Man chromolly end plate
    -Alabama Man limited slip traction insert
    -Alabama Man custom built unequal length axles

Fuel Delivery:
    -Walbro 255 l/hr high pressure fuel pump
    -Mopar Performance 52 lb/hr (super 60) fuel injectors

Engine Control:
    -Simple Digital Systems EM4-F standalone/distributorless ECU
    -Magnecore 8.5 mm plug wires

Suspension:
    -Koni 3 way adjustable coilovers from FWD Performance
    -Eibach springs (I forgot the spring rates.)
    -Energy Suspension lower control arm and sway bar bushings

Brakes:
    -1989 Dodge Caravan front calipers
    -KVR carbon fiber pads
    -Stock rear drums
    -24 mm master cylinder

Body:
    -Reverse color factory paint scheme with PPG paint
    -Custom air dam opened up for air flow into intercooler
    -Radio antenna delete
    -Windshield wiper delete
    -Painted door handles
    -Positive Impressions reverse color decals

Interior:
    -Zeitronix Wideband O2
    -Autometer A/F gauge
    -Autometer boost gauge
    -Summit digital tachometer
    -FWD Performance dual gauge pillar pod
    -Radio delete
    -Heater delete
    -Omni O24 steering wheel
    -ACC carpet with sound deadener removed

Wheels and Tires:
    -Street-Chrysler 6.5" "crab" wheels
    -Strip-Bogart Drag-on Star III (7.5" front/4" rear) with M&H 23x15x7.5 Slicks and 4" front runners

More pictures (437 of them) can be seen here:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Nice!
    1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
    1997 Mustang GT
    sigpic

Comment

I've built a few 2.2/2.5's...they are a sweetheart. Quick little bugger.

Comment

Very nice!!!! Get that trap up to 120ish and you'll have a high eleven pretty easy... how much boost are you running right now? shouldn't that turbo be good for 400-500whp? i.e. - there's a lot left in it!
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Dood! Great car - Always nice to see other long-term project cars done at home... Did you stink up the house with paint? Believe me, you only do it once.

I drove one of these when I was an intern in college between MA and CT very regularly for a semester or two... And it was a complete blast in the snow!
          Livin the dream

Comment

i like

i am in the precess of building a turbo for my lebaron but i am using the mitsu 3.0L it came with
            Last edited by Mater; January 19, 2012, 05:27 PM.
            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I bought an 84 brand new off the lot and drove it for 6 months . Then the 85s were released with the turbo so I traded the 84 in for one . I loved the 85 , it went like hell . The only problem with them is torque steer . Yours' looks great , good work .

Comment

Clean build, nicely done!! Looks good with the silver/black paint combo. A few friends from my autocross days had similar cars ... pieces of crap, but damn fast, and inexpensive!

cheers
                Ed N.
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

the lady of the house says after my comment - HA! Bachelor. Ironing board by the car parts... she says "We have an ironing board?" I say, yeah, it's by the car parts... she says "Might as well get rid of it."

LMAO!

Dang, that is making some steam with 12's in it !! Thanks for posting up, we'll be keeping an eye on this one. I wanted a GLHS Omni pretty bad when they came out, reminds me of why but with a hell of a lot more "Why not?!"
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                    Very nice!!!! Get that trap up to 120ish and you'll have a high eleven pretty easy... how much boost are you running right now? shouldn't that turbo be good for 400-500whp? i.e. - there's a lot left in it!
                    It was running around 16 psi on the 12.53. The turbo is limited by the intake and exhaust. I think it could make around 400-450 with a fabbed intake and a better header. I turned it up to around 20 psi and it felt like a different animal. I just haven't gotten it back to the track. I sold my trans in 2008 and the car has been apart since.

Originally posted by 99_ls1 View Post
                    Dood! Great car - Always nice to see other long-term project cars done at home... Did you stink up the house with paint? Believe me, you only do it once.

I drove one of these when I was an intern in college between MA and CT very regularly for a semester or two... And it was a complete blast in the snow!
                    My garage was detached. I just used the house as a warehouse. My wife looks at those pictures and says that would not be allowed today. I have a basement now, so there will be no painting here. This car was great in the snow back in its day.

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                    I bought an 84 brand new off the lot and drove it for 6 months . Then the 85s were released with the turbo so I traded the 84 in for one . I loved the 85 , it went like hell . The only problem with them is torque steer . Yours' looks great , good work .
                    Thanks. Mine used to torque steer. I went with unequal length axles and a limited slip. It burns the hides in a straight line now.

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                    Clean build, nicely done!! Looks good with the silver/black paint combo. A few friends from my autocross days had similar cars ... pieces of crap, but damn fast, and inexpensive!

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    I wanted to do the silver/black stripe for a long time. I think I'm the first to try it. It was a hit at the Shelby Dodge convention. It won 1st in the Shelby Charger class. The Chrsyler L-body cars are a little junky. If you tighten up all of the interior screws every once in a while, they don't rattle near as much. Ha!

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    the lady of the house says after my comment - HA! Bachelor. Ironing board by the car parts... she says "We have an ironing board?" I say, yeah, it's by the car parts... she says "Might as well get rid of it."

LMAO!

Dang, that is making some steam with 12's in it !! Thanks for posting up, we'll be keeping an eye on this one. I wanted a GLHS Omni pretty bad when they came out, reminds me of why but with a hell of a lot more "Why not?!"
                    Car parts in the house are a sure tell sign of a bachelor. I have a 1987 GLHS Charger too. I'm not into these cars as much as I used to be, so it is for sale.

Comment

That's Nice.
                      "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Great car. This should be fun.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

I'd say that BS approved. One of my friends had a Charger after his 79 Pinto got totaled. His was a non turbo but was pretty quick. Another friend had a GLH Omni.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

What a great and different car to build. I had a friend who got Dad's hand me down GHLS Omni, he took all the decals off of it and went hunting. Many Mustang owners went home with mouths hanging open and bug eyed.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Killer car, I really dig these. A buddy has one he bought new as a young airmen in 86....he has had it on blocks in the garage forever...I think it has 15K on the clock...it is like new...a waste of a fun car if you ask me
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X