Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drag Week 2012 - Project GIRTST 71 Mustang (get it right the second time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't run a thermostat in years as it cooled better at speed without the restriction, but that was with the old pump and radiator set-up. I had used a CSI Water pump contoller for the warm-up cycle but it stopped holding the warm-up values after getting a little too wet at DW 2006 and I've just done it manully ever since. I run the fan relay off the MS2 EMS-Pro but I don't have another temp contolled trigger for the water pump.

I'm not sure there is a difference between having a closed thermostat and a running electric pump and no thermostat and a pump that isn't running. I know some folks have drilled small holes in their thermostats to get a small amount of circulation during warm-up, but again I odn't have evidence either way as to what's best.

The goal is to have it run at 180-185 at the low end of the range as the vacuum pump pulls the water out of the oil at that temp and above. The car has always run the 1320 quickest if I pull out of staging at 140 with as much resdiual oil temp as possible. Tough to keep any heat in it all these days when we are lucky to three or four runs a day max at TnT's or race days.

All options are open at the moment. I'm just happy to have this problem as opposed the can't cool it issue.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
      44F in SoCal...yiikkess! Break out the sweaters, overcoats and toques.

That Road Runner is very special...although judging by the giant MOPAR motif on the trunk lid the owner must be concerned people will mistake it for something else. Wheelie bars on the back, yes?
      The Road Runner was gorgeous, sounded bad ass and was show car clean. I don't recall seeing at the races, but then again I don;t get there all that often. It had an NHRA number on the window and an NHRA chassis cert sticker so it looked legit from an actually gets raced stand point. I over heard the guy telling someone that he could run Super Gas (9.90 index) with it, which seems on slow side, but maybe that's just on motor. He didn't have throttle stop (Yay!) so he's likely stuck as a bracket racer like the rest of us.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

So the real test was this last weekend with the third annual Run to the Coast which is now part of the American Street Car Series. It consists of a 2 mile road course, half mile auto cross and a new deal called the drag-slalom. The copy of the map they handed out shows the track layouts which are all at the former El Toro Marine Airbase in SoCal. The site is also where a lot of the US version of Top Gear is shot as well as all sorts of other car based TV shows.

My level of chassis/car preparation for the event was pathetic other than the improved cooling system. I forgot to put the front anti-roll bar back on and I ran out of time to swap the automatic for the stick and the locker rear end for the tru-trac, or the road race springs fornt springs for the drag race springs.

The Drag Slalom is layed out as an eighth mile track except you make a 180* turn at the end go through a set of six alalom turns and hit a stop box next to the starting point. Here's how it looks inside the car.

The good news for me is that the car did fine driving back and forth to the event as well as running the road course at full tilt for multiple laps until the trans temp pegged the guage which i expected. I defintily brought a knife to a gun fight but it was fun and I have confidence in the car now as far as road worthiness and track worthiness running in 80+ degree weather. See some competitors here:

I have my new thrermostat but haven't installed it yet. Based on advice from Meziere and AFCO I bought a Stewart Components by Robert Shaw 160 degree thermostat which has three 3/16" holes drilled in it to bypass water when it is otherwise shut as the elecric water pump shouldn't be dead headed.

Last edited by CDMBill; March 12, 2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Comment

I plan to be there next year. I want to make the Del Mar Goodguy's show, but the parts I ordered are still delayed. May not make it.

I like your new hoodscoop. Looks similar to one I designed for the Impala.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The scoop is on the tall side for my taste and I had to expose the guages that normally hide under the cowl scoop. I'm going to put a short version on the cowl hood I have already painted and then look at another race weight. Front facing scoops create some issues when you get stuck driving in the rain as we always seem to at Drag Week.

Comment

Drag Week Registration Opens

Well, now its official. I am registered for DW 2012 and its time to really get the car dialed in and work through the all the decisions to made like which tire to run, the 315/60 Drag Radial looks like the winner this year with the tread width restriction in place.

The big challenge will be track time since Fontana and Irwindale are closed.
                Last edited by CDMBill; July 5, 2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Updates

I've done a number of things since my last update here.

1. Rebuilt the AOD and updated the stall speed by 600 RPM

2. Reworked the front suspension with new upper control arms and settings

3. Installed new Baer Drag brakes on the front

4. Added a surge tank to the AFCO dual pass radiator install

5. Hit a best ever 1.40 60 ft. time at the re-opened (Yay!) Irwindale 1/8th mile

Comment

The surge/expansion tank is a Canton unit originally intended for 2003-4 Cobra Mustang, the so-called Terminator motor cars.

I had to re-work the inlet location and add mounting tabs with the help of buddy Greg Peterson doing the TIG work.

The surge tank adds 2 quarts of coolant capacity as well as an additional 1.5 quart volume for expansion of the coolant. This helps solve for a coolant push past the top hose mounted radiator cap I was experiencing even with the higher, 22 PSI cap, Stant Racing Lever vent cap I added. The push out fluid would go to the recovery can but wouldn't be drawn back in leaving the top hose and top rows of the radiator empty. It still cooled well on short drives and widely spaced drag strip passes but I was worried about long drives in the heat, Drag Week goes through Dallas and Shreveport in early September and the True street events I am running ahead of Drag Week.

With the tank installed I had zero cooling issues and very stable operating temps in 90+ degree testing at Bakersfield a couple weeks ago.

Unfortunately this problem, a fractured trigger wheel for the EFI sidelined me before I could run the NMCA True Street deal back on the 23rd. I should be back on the road next week.

Comment

Damn! 1.40 sixties in a car that heavy is crazy!
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Looks like you are really getting this thing sorted out. Great thread! IIRC in another thread you were planning to put an Aeromotive sump in your gas tank. Any work on that yet? I am curious as to what to do inside the tank to stop rust as the galvanize will be burned off from the tank. Is there a coating for this?

Comment

Bill, I apologize in advance for being a PITA, but how about a couple more bolts in the brace? Looks like you have two bolts, one through each brace, that will work quite well as pivot points. The tanks leverage on those pivot point will be pretty great given how far the tank is cantilevered out. I expect that that the tank will pivot down over time. I suppose you could rely on the radiator hoses.

Am I not seeing another brace point?

Bob
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Bob, good eye and always be a PITA as I need all the help I can get. If you look closely you'll see another hole in the steel brace extending from the radiator support to the right of the first bolt. This was in in process picture and I hadn't drilled the second holes in the aluminum brackets for the second set of bolts. I see the short hoses as vibration isolation beyond the primary fluid movement, but not support as their is some weight in the two quart fluid filled portion of the tank.

I'm conscious of just how stiff to make the support brackets as while the engine is well limited in terms of torque over, I don't have a motor plate or mid-plate, so I want to account for vibration and a small amount of movement relative to the expansion tank. Same for the radiator which is rubber cradled and isolated.

My main reason for the addition of the tank isn't drag racing, its for the long distance hot weather drives, open road races, road course and LSR events.

Comment

Baer Front Drag Brakes

This is what the new front Drag Brakes look like. I'm putting to together a more complete description of the change over process and will illustrate two different cars, mine and a 65 GTO.
                              Attached Files

Comment

This is the completed front suspension upgrade with the Chassisworks" TCP Upper Control arm added to their lower control arm and strut kit I installed several years ago after breaking a stock strut due my installation of a polyurethane bushing.

Comment

Working...
                                X