No announcement yet.

Something else to distract me from the Mustang track car ... a 66 Thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something else to distract me from the Mustang track car ... a 66 Thunderbird

Well, I sold the 67 Beetle last month, and had been on the lookout for something else 60s era. Had looked at a few other VDubs, and also a 61 T-Bird. Thought that I had a deal on the Bullet Bird, but the owner didn't have the proper paperwork after bringing the car in to Canada from South Carolina a few years ago to register the car here. He is still working on that, could be a while, so I'm getting my small deposit back and moving on.

About 3 weeks ago I found an ad on kijiji for a 66 T-Bird hardtop, no photos, and a somewhat vague description. I emailed the seller, got a bit more, "was appraised at 10000 8 yrs ago front seats needs re covering paint is faded interior is sage green power windows seat". Fair enough, the ad had stated the car was gold, and looking at colour listings online, I guessed that the car was probably sage gold, with a similar colour interior. He seemed to be a man of few words, so I didn't press him for a VIN or any of the door tag info, I just let him know that I would give him a call if I wanted to see the car.

So the following weekend I was visiting a friend who lives about 45 minutes NW of me, and that put me within half an hour of the 66 for sale. So I called the guy up, yes, he was going to be around if I wanted to come for a look. When I got there, he had it running in the driveway, and it definitely had faded paint! But looking underneath, and at the door seams and bottoms of the quarter panels, etc., the car looked very solid, which I commented on. His response was that it was from California, had come up to Canada about 10 years ago. I thought to myself, you twit, if you had put that in the ad, along with some good photos, you probably would have sold the car already.

In any case, the asking price was $4000, he was negotiable for a few hundred bucks. I asked him to give me a few days to think about it, with the caveat of course that if someone else came along first with cash in hand, the car would be theirs to take. I also looked at a 61 Meteor the same day, a specific Canadian model car that was low mileage and unique, but also very plain-Jane with a 223 6-cyl and 2-speed auto trans. Made the decision a few days later to go with the T-Bird over the Meteor, as it would be more enjoyable to drive, and if I changed my mind in a few years and wanted something else, I'm quite sure the Bird would be an easier sale than the Meteor.

So the car is a 66 Town Hardtop, Sage Gold that looks like it has had a respray at some point, from a bit of overspray evidence on the trunk weatherstrip and the rubber door bumpers. Interior is Ivy Gold with the passenger recliner / headrest (needs new front seat covers to start), and the car also has power locks (not functioning), power seat, power windows, including the mini-vents (left side OK, right side not so much), the cool slideaway steering column, and A/C, which isn't working, but at least the compressor isn't seized. Hopefully that is just an easy leak repair ... we still have some R12 dye at the dealership where I work, so I can pop in a bit of that for helping to spot the leak. Other door tag info tells me it is a C6, 3.00 axle, Houston DSO code, and May 13 production. Good running 390 that doesn't smoke, made the hour drive home OK yesterday, but I did notice a few oil drips under the car today.

Notice the windshield sticker? 1980 Winternationals service vehicle. Unfortunately the glass has a few chips right there, for now I will get the guy up the road to put some of that chip filler stuff in, and one of the guys at work will sign the safety certificate OK, as long as it's for me to drive and not for resale.

Wheels are chrome smoothies with very tarnished caps, for now I may just get some new caps, but I am probably going to swap them out for a set of Cragar 500 Eliminator wheels. Tires on the car are way too small anyway, someone decided that 195/65R15 would be a good size for it. LOL

So what do you think? Did I do OK for $3800 for a decent driver 66 Town Hardtop? I'll probably drive it as is other than the wheels and tires for this summer, clean up what I can, do a little maintenance as far as fluids and filters go, maybe drop in a Pertronix ignition, and enjoy.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Yeah, I'd say you did Ok. Looks pretty complete and runs and drives. I agree, it has to lose the rims and tires but overall nice car.

Comment

Nice find, looks solid! My bro has a '66 that is not QUITE as nice
      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
      1997 Mustang GT
      sigpic

Comment

Pissing around with rusty cars gets tired, that was the main reason I sold my 68 Cougar a few years back. It had been a Canadian car all its life, and had body and paint done in the early 90s, was going to need it done again. For what it would have cost, plus replacing / rechroming bumpers and trim etc., I would end up with way more in the car thn what a base model Cougar would sell for ... and I wasn't that emotionally attached to it, so down the road it went.

It's nice to look at the engine bay and underneath the car, and not see crustiness and / or metal patches!

cheers
        Ed N.

Comment

Well done - those cars were very unique - way ahead of their time in many ways.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That's nice, In the last few years I've really taken a liken to them. I have a friend who has a 57, 2-59's & 01 Tbirds. He keeps asking me if I want to buy one of his 59's...which I would do in a flash if I had the money.

Add a nice set of 17" wheels to that!
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I had contemplated going with 17" or even 18", but for now I think that I am going to go with a set of these from Cragar in 15":

I have another set of redline portawalls that would look neat with them, give the car a bit of a "Hot Wheels" vibe. I'd probably remove the paint from the raised edges of the spokes as well, to give them some more contrast. The same wheels are available in 17", I could go with those, and still use a relatively tall 60 series sidewall (225/60R17), they would end up being almost identical in diameter to the original tires for the car. Michelin still makes one tire (an OEM Lincoln application) that has a narrow whitewall, that might look good too.

For now I have a pair of the 15" version on the way from a local distributor, to test fit. Wheel choices can be limited for these cars, on the 65-66 they have front disc brakes that use very large body Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers that need lots of space, in fact the chrome smoothie wheels on the car had spacers behind the fronts. On the rear, too much backspacing puts the wheel & tire in to the skirt. Those could come off, Ford sold the cars either way in 66, but with the formal Town Hardtop roofline I think the skirts are appropriate.

cheers
              Ed

Comment

Well, over the past few months my friend Stu and i have been playing with this, between jobs on the Mustang project. This week it was finally ready to take in to the dealership to get the safety check done so that I could get it licensed properly. Didn't need much, had a leaky wheel cylinder on the left rear, so we changed both. Brake lines came off pretty easily, nice to have a Cali car. Also put in a fresh set of Monroe shocks. Other recent changes were a Pertronix swap last weekend, and a set of 215/70R15 Goodyears to replace the undersized 195/65R15 Hankooks that the previous owner had installed. They were still in good shape, so I was able to get $150 selling the set.

We figured out that the brake lights weren't working because of some corroded relays where the brake lights tie in with the sequential signal circuit. Got those replaced as well as fixed some bad grounds, voila, we have brake lights. Stu took the lamp assemblies out, replaced a few of the sockets that were corroded, and also repainted the reflectors which were peeling. His younger brother James took the cracked / chipped / dull lenses and refinished them, they look 95% new.

Still haven't decided on wheels, so for now I tossed the rusted baby moon caps, and got a set of Wheel Vintiques bullet caps to snap on the chrome smoothie wheels.

Also realized that a previous owner had "flipped" the rear spring shackles to jack up the ass, I guess the springs are a bit weak. Those cars usually sat sort of butt-droopy anyway. I think that I'll try flipping them back, see where the car sits, and if it's not too bad, maybe go for a set of drop coils on the front.

Drove it around a bit the last few days, lots of positive comments. It's nice to have it out on the road finally, I only missed half the summer ... D'OH!!

cheers
                Ed

Comment

those wheels look perfect on that car
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Nice touch to the wheels!!.Looks like they always have been there..when it was new,it wouldnt have got them..but a few years later.And it begs for being lower.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking about doing the spider caps like this:

But the wheels are dual pattern, and the second set of stud holes left exposed would drive me nuts ...

Not sure about my tire selection though. The size should be very close to the diameter of the original bias ply rubber, but they seem very tight in the front wheel openings. I'm thinking that 215/65R15 might have been better. Oh well, I can address that when I decide on the new wheels for next year. I don't mind the chrome smoothies with the new caps, but they do have some surface rust on them that doesn't show up in the photos. I still have to try taking an SOS pad to them to see if that helps.

cheers
                      Ed

Comment

I'd use some Naval Jelly on the chrome rims, the SOS pads will probably scratch them up. Car looks great, lower is always better....

Comment

The soap in SOS pads will keep them from scratching anything but really soft chrome bits. Car is looking cool.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Very stylish car; I'm sure it's a great highway cruiser. I like the rear fender skirts.
                            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Well, as suggested this week we got around to making an attitude adjustment to the Bird. Got it up on the drive-on lift at the dealership, and had the front end / suspension tech (who is a pretty big strong dude BTW, glad that I wasn't trying this at home!), loosen off the hardware on the rear shackles, then take a big-azz pry bar to lever forward on the shackles. Once they got a bit past the centre point, BANG! Up they went in to the stock position. I was afraid that the car was going to sit too low because the springs were saggy, but it would appear that the previous owner who had flipped the shackles was just trying to get the ride height up from stock, not compensate for dead leaf springs.

Much better:

Also got some gold accent paint between the fins on the used set of Moon valve covers that I picked up a while back, I think it is a nice subtle look:

In the mail today was a package that I had been waiting for. The car had a busted lens on the right front marker, and I wasn't having much luck coming up with a good used replacement, only saw lefts for sale. So I pulled the trigger on eBay for a pair of NOS lenses, nicer than the car needs really but what the hell. I'll get these popped on tomorrow morning with some fresh seals that I got when I ordered the trunk weatherstrips from Bird Nest in Oregon.

I'm really pleased with the outcome of the ride height adjustment, it looks 100% better now, especially from the rear. Previously you could see the shackles, the rear half of the springs, and the diff pumpkin ... just didn't look right. I was driving behind tonight when my buddy Rob took it for a spin when we went back to grab the parts van from the dealership ... the car looks awesome going down the road now, especially as dusk came with the taillight lenses and reflectors being freshened up.

cheers
                              Ed
                              Last edited by fast Ed; August 10, 2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X